Flight Instructor or Multi-IFR?

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Dsalk
Rank 0
Rank 0

Flight Instructor or Multi-IFR?

Post by Dsalk »

This is an old question but still a valid one. I have my CPL so what do I do next?

I'm 30 years old. I've had my PPL since 2005 but didn't get my CPL until last month. I'm trying to figure out what to do next. I want to stay on the west coast (my moms health isn't so good). I did really well on my CPL flight test and I want a few opinions from pilots on the west coast. Instructor or MIFR?
---------- ADS -----------

Condorito
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Flight Instructor or Multi-IFR?

Post by Condorito »

All Im gonna say is this. Teach if you really WANT to not because you HAVE to. There are other ways to gain experience.

dirtysidedown
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by dirtysidedown »

Condorito wrote:All Im gonna say is this. Teach if you really WANT to not because you HAVE to. There are other ways to gain experience.
CAn you elaborate? I am enroute to getting my CPL in the next year or so and want to continue building hours but sometimes it seems like the only spot to go is teaching. I have no problem teaching and thoroughly enjoy teaching adults, but if there are other ways then i am always open to them.

kmf.kenif
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by kmf.kenif »

Condorito wrote:All Im gonna say is this. Teach if you really WANT to not because you HAVE to. There are other ways to gain experience.
I agree but there are limited options for a new commercial pilot to stay south and not go north to gain experience in any other way.
With the original mentioned circumstances, I would test the waters, and see if instructing was for me.
dirtysidedown wrote: CAn you elaborate? I am enroute to getting my CPL in the next year or so and want to continue building hours but sometimes it seems like the only spot to go is teaching. I have no problem teaching and thoroughly enjoy teaching adults, but if there are other ways then i am always open to them.
A green pilot with a good attitude goes a long way. Visit a local FTU, set up a meeting with a CFI, ask them about their teaching experience and stir up some conversation with the other instructors at the school. See if you can do ride along (free), ask to sit in a ground school class, shadow "a day in the life of a flight instructor." Follow the dispatcher/ame, see what it's like to be working there. By doing so, you may have a better idea of what you'd like to do.

Mind you, visit more than one FTU. There is no perfect way in running a FTU and there are shady ones out there.

My two cents worth.
KF

gaamin
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by gaamin »

dirtysidedown wrote:CAn you elaborate? I am enroute to getting my CPL in the next year or so and want to continue building hours but sometimes it seems like the only spot to go is teaching. I have no problem teaching and thoroughly enjoy teaching adults, but if there are other ways then i am always open to them.
Cropduster, Skydive, Glider tow, Aerial survey/photography, Forest fire patrol...
Or if willing to start with a non-flying job, dispatch or ramp or dock for an operator who has a history of getting their ground personnel onto flying jobs after XX months/years.

Because too many pilots become flight instructors to "build hours" and/or to stay near home with any flying job, there is an oversupply of instructor candidates.
Because there are minimal flight test standards and an oversupply of instructor candidates, there are some poor quality Class 1 instructors willing to train anyone to only pass the flight test, and not caring whether or not the Class 4 they produce should be an instructor at all.
Because there is an oversupply of instructors, many of whom do not live on their own income only, for most junior instructors the income and the hours flown in a year are very low.

It's generally different in the rotary-wing world.

Good luck,

JBL

Duffman
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Duffman »

I realize floats isn't for everyone, same as instructing isn't for everyone. But I don't understand why more people don't want to do floats for at least a few years. I did my training on floats and had several job offers in Ontario and BC before I was even issued the license. No begging, road trip, poverty wages or any of that required.

All you ever see on here is people deciding between IFR and instructing, there's another option out there.

Colonel Sanders
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Colonel Sanders »

95% of instructors are doing it to build flight
time, and that's ok, as long as you give it your
best.

After all, you probably won't fly a 'van, or a 'ho,
or a beaver all your life, either. But while you
do it, do it the absolute best that you can. Not
only because it can make the difference between
living and dying.

Take pride in your skills, and doing whatever you
do well. And that's what's missing in many new
pilots these days, to whom aviation is simply the
easiest way to make the most money with the
least work. All white shirt and gold bars, and
never a one-wheel landing.

This guy is a flight instructor, too. He does
type ratings on the DC-3. Do you think he
takes pride in doing well what he does?

Pop n Fresh
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Pop n Fresh »

Colonel Sanders wrote: This guy is a flight instructor, too. He does
type ratings on the DC-3.
How much are those, have you gone to get one?

waverider
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by waverider »

If I were you I would go work on the dock for a reputable float operator and when you have the chance to fly floats you will never go back. Bush flying or float flying whatever you want to call it will give you alot of fun and keep you on your toes. Float flying is great flying and the whole lifestyle is not bad at all.

waverider

Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Outlaw58 »

For anyone who has that option, I would recommend military.

Nothing more to add.

JP

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Duffman wrote:I realize floats isn't for everyone, same as instructing isn't for everyone. But I don't understand why more people don't want to do floats for at least a few years. I did my training on floats and had several job offers in Ontario and BC before I was even issued the license. No begging, road trip, poverty wages or any of that required.

All you ever see on here is people deciding between IFR and instructing, there's another option out there.
I guess that was many years ago ?

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Duffman
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Duffman »

^ CPL in spring 2012 and started working right away

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Duffman wrote:^ CPL in spring 2012 and started working right away
Good for you :smt023

I think you were in quite a bit of luck then though. Certainly not the average way on how to get a float job...

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Duffman
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Duffman »

Well, luck was part of it. The only time I have on wheels was to meet the spin requirement for the CPL and the night rating. I had a seaplane only PPL for a few years. I think having 200+ on floats got me the job ahead of all the CPL's with 50 or less.

The downside, I tried to get a part time job doing pipeline patrol this winter and they wouldn't even consider me with my 15 hours on wheels.

Colonel Sanders
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Colonel Sanders »

they wouldn't even consider me with my 15 hours on wheels
With all your float time, that's pretty funny,
although (ahem) you probably don't see it
that way.

Tell you what. Swing by my place, I'll teach
you to do this. I learned to do it at FlightSafety,
by following the instructions in the detailed
Maule POH.

With your float experience, it will be a cinch
for you.

dirtysidedown
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by dirtysidedown »

Duffman wrote:I realize floats isn't for everyone, same as instructing isn't for everyone. But I don't understand why more people don't want to do floats for at least a few years. I did my training on floats and had several job offers in Ontario and BC before I was even issued the license. No begging, road trip, poverty wages or any of that required.
I'd love to do commercial float ops… I was out in Tofino and had the chance to take a flight with a local float ops pilot and man…. That'd be unreal.

irishflyer
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by irishflyer »

I want to fly floats and I am coming from Ireland. There is virtually no float flying in Europe.

I have 560TT and looking at doing a 50 hour course. Is 50 hours enough to get your 1st job or should I be looking at more?
Also does hiring happen all year round or mainly in Spring?

I do have work rights.

Thanks

imac0960
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by imac0960 »

Most float hiring happens in the spring but occasionally companies hire throughout the summer as people leave randomly or go back to school in Aug/Sept and the operators need to replace them.

As for the 50hr course, I cannot speak of it as I did not do it. I was hired with 15hrs float.

Return to “Flight Training”