Laminated vs non-Laminated Charts

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

Laminated or non-Laminated?

Laminated
31%
Non-Laminated
69%

Total votes: 54

Ceòl Beag
Rank 0
Rank 0

Laminated vs non-Laminated Charts

Post by Ceòl Beag »

Hello,

I need to buy some new VNC's, and was wondering... what is your preference in charts?
Laminated or non-laminated?

My first charts are plain paper. They have the advantage of being able to just use pencil on them, and erase it.
But, I find it difficult to read the pencil markings in-flight. They also begin tearing after just a few months.

So, I was thinking about getting laminated charts this time and using higher visibility marker.
I'm coming up on my flight test soon, so want to make as easy as possible on myself.

Also, any suggestion for what type of markers you use would be great to.

Thanks!
---------- ADS -----------

CpnCrunch
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Laminated vs non-Laminated Charts

Post by CpnCrunch »

Interesting that 2 people have voted non-laminated, but haven't said why. Have these people actually used laminated charts?

Anyway, laminated charts are very useful when doing your PPL and you have to draw all those ridiculous drift lines and other stuff on your charts. It is much easier to see the markings, and easier to erase without destroying your chart. They also last a lot longer.

I used Staedtler Lumocolor permanent markers (product code 318WP4 F). For erasing, Staedtler Lumocolor feature correction pen ex-319. Both seem to be on amazon.

+RA
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by +RA »

http://www.staples.ca/en/Pilot-FriXion- ... CA_1_20001

I use non-laminated charts with these erasable highlighters. The pink highlighter is very easy to see against the backdrop of the chart. They also erase very well; no map tearing for me yet.

FenderManDan
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by FenderManDan »

+1 what RA said. I used that during my ppl on paper charts. I actually have soon to expire laminated vnc that i bought because the store ran out of the paper charts that day. Laminate costs quite a bit more but i am glad to have it because i will put it on the wall in my basement. I just have a fetish to stare at the charts/maps world, nautical, aviation. Got em all.

Laminate is PITA to fold for your purposes. After the ppl, i never drew anything in the maps again. It is all digital and i print skyvector.com route map for a paper backup

Lotro
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Lotro »

I flirted with the idea of laminated charts, but we never went out.

For my PPL I think I went through 2 VNCs and 1 VTA which cost me $45 all in I think? One less night at the bar or dinner out.

After I got my PPL I realized that NAV Canada revised charts almost every year and since I only fly about 50 hours a year, I just buy a new VNC and VTA every year. I call it "the cost of flying."

I might feel differently if I flew a whole bunch more.

My two cents.

davecessna
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by davecessna »

A quick tip to those who use laminated charts and forget to erase them soon enough. My days working as a part time Lenscrafters tech taught me the million and one uses of Isopropyl alcohol. A dab of that on a napkin and your chart is as good as new!

davecessna
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by davecessna »

One downside to laminated charts is that they are a pain in the ass to manipulate in the cockpit. Especially a 152 cockpit.

edit: I missed FenderManDan's post, suffice to say I agree.

Egres
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Egres »

I like laminated. Thats what i used in flight school, love it you can use different color for all the drift line and what not. Permanent marker is a must, dry erase well everytime you will touch the line it will disappear on you, and wet erase are PITA. Like davecessna said isopropyl alcohol work great and also any Axe or old spice body spray work great to erase the permanent marker and as a bonus your map will smell good.....

They are most resistent then the regular paper one, they are a little harder manipulate in the cockpit but once its broken in i dont find it that bad. I got a paper one and got it laminated after i draw in the training area ( a must at our flight school ) ...

mckenziepiping
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by mckenziepiping »

Thanks for the post Egres... I almost started a whole thread solely to ask the question you just answered.

Docbrad
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Docbrad »

Non-laminated. Invest in different colours of erasable highlighters and pens. Use em. Erase them carefully. All the advantages of laminated chart, with the advantages of non laminated. Just gently erase the lines when you're done with them

Also, pencils never run out of ink and I recommend one always be in the airplane, along with your favourite flying pen. They have an added bonus of being able to draw on non-lam charts

Just my two cents

gaamin
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by gaamin »

Last edited by gaamin on Fri Aug 19, 2016 3:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Non-laminated maps + removable tape + sharpie = perfectly visible tracks

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
CYPK
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by CYPK »

I buy non-laminated. I reinforce the top edge with a piece of packing tape. Just fold it in half over the top of the chart. I do the same for the edges of book covers that I use a lot- FTM /FTGU.
As for the visibility of pencil marks, I've used the Frixion highlighters and post it tabs to highlight important info. They work well just don't leave your chart in the sun! The highlighter uses the heat from friction to erase and so the sun makes quick work of it too.

Return to “Flight Training”