Flying Expenses - Form TL11B

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

DollarShaveClub
Rank 1
Rank 1

Flying Expenses - Form TL11B

Post by DollarShaveClub »

Confused about TL11B.

I did my private with a FTU. Now renting hours on a private owner's equipment towards commercial, for which I am registered on insurance, and enrolled in the Harvs Air online ground school. I have all my receipts for the private, including block hours and fuel purchased. Harvs Air sent me a letter confirming my enrolment in the commercial ground school.

Part 1 of the form requires the educational institution's certification.

Can I claim the block hours as expenses for tax purposes? How will it work considering I did my PPL with a small FTU unit (properly registered).
---------- ADS -----------

5400AirportRdSouth
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Flying Expenses - Form TL11B

Post by 5400AirportRdSouth »

I'm not a tax expert by any stretch, so take this with a grain of salt.

I was toying with the idea of some alternate ways of doing my commercial, including considering buying a share of a plane. I was told by a couple of people, whose credentials are just as un-reliable as my own, but had the ring of truth to it, that unless you do your training with an FTU with an " educational Institutional number " , they would be unable to supply you with a TL11B and thus you were SOL in regards to claiming any of those expenses. In this light, the savings I calculated were quickly wiped out by the loss of a tax-deductible expense. ( not that owning your own plane doesn't have its own benefits just as valuable as a couple of your own sheckles being tossed back to you by the government )

Now. The TL11B is not submitted to RevCan at the time of filing, you are only instructed to keep it on hand in case your expenses are questioned. In theory, you could try and submit those expenses and roll the dice.... Mind you, of the three years I submitted expenses for flight training, I was asked for the TL11B in two of those years, after filing.

In regards to your PPL expenses, my understanding is that you are fully entitled to submit them as a tax deductible expense, now that you have verifiable proof of continuing your training to the commercial level. I was advised to just save my PPL expenses and not to submit them until the tax year in which I had proof of the CPL training starting.

If you call up your FTU and ask them for a TL11B, you will quickly find out if they are "properly registered", as this will be something they would deal with all the time. If they sound confused or send you some kind of "letter" about expenses....you might have problems.

As with all things tax, everything is allowable, until you get audited.

Good Luck!

Remember, only YOU can stop Narcissism
Duffman
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Duffman »

As far as I remember, the CRA wouldn't let me claim anything at all until I had my CPL signed off and in my hands. All that you are allowed to claim is 45 hours for PPL and 35 dual/30 solo for CPL. It doesn't matter how many hours it took to get the licence, thats all they let you claim. And it's bullshit, but thats another matter.

The FTU that did your private can issue you a TL11B for their portion. Who is doing your actual CPL training? If its an FTU, they will issue you another form. If its a freelance instructor on the private plane, I think you might be SOL. I don't think a freelancer can issue you a TL11B.

I could be wrong on that last part, this is to the best of my memory when I had to go through it.

5400AirportRdSouth
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by 5400AirportRdSouth »

Just to add - I claimed every hour from Zero to Hero. I got nice letters asking for more information on two of the three years I claimed training expenses, and submitted my TL11B's dutifully and was never questioned again.

How many hours those two years represented, I cant recall.

Whether they even bothered to add up the hours I submitted expenses on, who knows.

End result though, is I claimed a little over 200 hours in total.

But, like I said before, just because you can/could/did get away with it, doesn't mean it's permitted.

Remember, only YOU can stop Narcissism
justbud
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by justbud »

I submitted my t11b's for three years with my tax return, along with summary statements of account at the flying school. Never got an ounce of questioning at the time of filing, or afterwords.

And there is no requirement as per their wording to obtain your CPl. You are required to be working towards it. I never obtained mine, as of date. My transfer into the RCAF was successful and I entered the training system here.

Duffman
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Duffman »

5400AirportRdSouth wrote: End result though, is I claimed a little over 200 hours in total.

But, like I said before, just because you can/could/did get away with it, doesn't mean it's permitted.
Yeah. I'm glad you got something extra out of the government, they really don't need our money, I just hope they don't come back and screw you in a year or two. You really are only supposed to claim 45 for PPL and 65 for CPL.

When I first submitted mine, the CRA sent me a letters asking for "documentation." It's pretty much impossible to phone them because you get agents who only have access to the same info I have, they didn't know what documentation they were looking for. The only way I could get them to process my forms was to send them a photocopy of my license.

boogs82
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by boogs82 »

Well.....it's that time of year again. Now that I'm in pursuit of my CPL and I'm looking to claim back from the years to cover my PPL, do I have to go to each FTU that I was at and get a TL11B from each of them? Or will my last FTU and the one I'm doing my CPL with be able to attest to the previous hours?

Posthumane
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Posthumane »

An FTU can only provide a TL11B for the training that they provided you, at their specified cost. If you did your training at multiple FTUs then you will have to go to each of them. I may be wrong on this, but if you did your training there in previous tax years (not 2015) you may have to do a T1 amendment for that year rather than claiming it in 2015.

Your ground school is also considered education and eligible for a tax credit. I did the CPL online ground school through Harv's air and they issued a T2202B (tuition and education amounts form) which covered the tuition paid and listed 9 months of part time schooling. This added up to a tax credit that almost paid for the course entirely.

"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it." -George Bernard Shaw
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Don't forget, you should not have been charged HST on the training. But if you were and you paid it, you can claim a refund.

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/gl/p-034 ... 4r2-e.html
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/bsnss/tpcs/ ... c-eng.html

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
PropToFeather
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by PropToFeather »

There's one more thing of note to TL11B: if you're training at an FTU, and enrolled in a registered training program (ie: I-ATPL, or a CPL course), you can claim those expenses from the time that you've enrolled until you finish the program (ie: PPL and ground instruction included). So, there is merit in asking the places you're likely to train at if a CPL "course" - as opposed to just regular training - is something they offer.

If at first you don't succeed, maybe NDB approaches just aren't for you
radubc
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by radubc »

boogs82 wrote:Well.....it's that time of year again. Now that I'm in pursuit of my CPL and I'm looking to claim back from the years to cover my PPL, do I have to go to each FTU that I was at and get a TL11B from each of them? Or will my last FTU and the one I'm doing my CPL with be able to attest to the previous hours?
You have to get your TL11B from each FTU. After you get them all, you add them by year and change your T1 returns for each year. Specifically, you file a Schedule 11 with changes to lines 320 and 321. Just be careful not to claim more than 12 month full time or part time per year. The fastest way to get your money back is to do the change through CRA My Account, if you have one.

There is, however, a problem you should expect. The TL11B includes a certification letter (which looks more like a paragraph) by which the FTU certifies that you are now enrolled in CPL training. If you are (were) not enrolled in CPL with the former FTU, they might not sign that paragraph, or refuse to issue the TL11B. If they issue the unsigned TL11B, it shouldn't be a big issue. If you have at least one signed, you can argue that the former FTU is not aware of your current training, but your CPL training is as real as certified by your current FTU.

Return to “Flight Training”