A few questions before I write the CPAER tomorrow

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

rt777
Rank 2
Rank 2

A few questions before I write the CPAER tomorrow

Post by rt777 »

1. What exactly would a PPC used for instead of a PCC. I can't get my head around the difference between the two.
2. For anyone who has written the exam lately, do you need to know the point of no return or any other formulas.
3. Everyone I know keeps getting a partial on General Knowledge. I can't see why? Is there something tricky about it?

Any other tips for scoring high, I feel pretty prepared and am scoring 75-85% on every practice exam I have done, with a strong amount of that being Air Law, due to the fact I enjoy reading the CARs (don't ask why, I like interpreting the legal aspects of flying)

Thanks for your help everyone, I really appreciate it.
---------- ADS -----------

esp803

Re: A few questions before I write the CPAER tomorrow

Post by esp803 »

PPC for IFR, PCC for VFR... I'm sure I'm missing some stuff there, probably something to do with high performance.

You should know those formulas

Study, you'll do fine.

E

JungianJugular
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by JungianJugular »

I'm still preparing for mine. It's a lot of work!

Good luck, sir. You will do just fine. Grab a pint and celebrate after!

+RA
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by +RA »

Hi,

I wrote my CPAER exam two weeks ago.

You will need to know all the formulas required for the exam - I was specifically asked a question about VOR reception range.

My best advice to you would be to make a cheat sheet with all the required formulas on one side and all pertinent information requiring memorization such as VFR minima, light signals, etc., on the other side. Carry this sheet around with you, and when you have a free second, pull it out and look it over; you'll have the whole thing memorized in no time.

General knowledge was my second lowest mark, but I still scored in the mid-eighties for it, so I'm not sure why people are failing that section.

The exam itself does require the memorization and understanding of a lot of material. That being said, as long as you're prepared you'll do fine.

I found my biggest issue was that a number of the questions had multiple correct answers. Of the 12 questions I got wrong, two were due to my being lazy and not thinking the question over thoroughly and calculating correctly, one I truthfully didn't know, and the rest were ones that had two possible correct answers.

Ensure that you are well rested, hydrated, and prepared before the exam, and like I said before, you'll do fine.

Best of luck!

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

PPC for IFR, PCC for VFR..
I do not think that is correct unless things have changed, as there used to be VFR PPC's,

If I was the OP, I would get confirmation about this.

Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
rt777
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by rt777 »

Well I wrote it today and there was not even 1 question regarding PPC/PCC's on it, or anything regarding 700 level operations at all. Found that odd.

Passed it, now on to the flight test, thanks everyone!

esp803

Post by esp803 »

trey kule wrote:I do not think that is correct unless things have changed, as there used to be VFR PPC's,
I think I can say with almost 100% confidence that you know more about the subject, that's really just been my experience with the whole PPC/PCC.

E

TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

esp803 wrote:
trey kule wrote:I do not think that is correct unless things have changed, as there used to be VFR PPC's,
I think I can say with almost 100% confidence that you know more about the subject, that's really just been my experience with the whole PPC/PCC.

E

PCC: Pilot competency check aka: "VFR OPS"
PPC: Pilot proficiency check aka: "IFR OPS/VFR OPS included"

I stand to be corrected....

All the best,
TPC

trey kule
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by trey kule »

Actually, my experience is from years ago, so things might have changed, but TC used to issue VFR PPC's.
The PCC's were issued by the company. Sometimes for 702 ops on twins, otherwise for right seat...but again, there was also right seat PPC's.

Someone who is more current can probably give a CARs reference rather than me speculating.

My comment was just to confirm it and not base your information from postings here.

In any event, congratulations on passing the exam.

Edited: my curiosity got the best of me. If I interpreted the CARS correctly, a PPC is required for any multi engine airplane, and, in certain instances, for single engine operations..(703.88)

723.88 states the following
Except where an Air Operator Certificate authorizes operation under day VFR only, or an operator assigns the pilot to day VFR flight only, instrument procedures shall consist of IFR pre-flight preparation, departure and enroute procedures, terminal procedures and system malfunctions.

That means to me the IF requirement for PPC depends on the AOC...but a PPC for PIC ,VfR is required for multi engine aircraft in commercial air service....and helicopters

I do not think a PPC is required for 702 ops. A PCC will suffice...but I am again,mgoing from memory here
Someone with better CARs speak can confirm.

Last edited by trey kule on Fri May 23, 2014 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Accident speculation:
Those that post don’t know. Those that know don’t post
FOD_Vacuum
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FOD_Vacuum »

A PCC can be done as per company requirements for guys starting out in the right seat of a Navajo, for example. It involves usually no more than 2-3 training flights and can be used for VFR and IFR operations. No flight test is involved. A PCC is valid til the 1st day of the 13th month after the training for 703 ops. I believe this doesn't renew your IFR, so you have to make sure you move on to as bigger aircraft in the company if you want to do it for free. If you go captain on a Navajo, a PPC is required and it renews your IFR (valid for one year). A PPC is done when you go right seat King Air at a commercial operator, or on an aircraft that has a Vne of less than 250kts (+250kts, a type rating is required). You get your IFR renewed after the flight test, if the operator is IFR. If the King Air is operated under CARs 703 only, your PPC is valid for one year. If its 704, you PPC is valid for two years. That's all I can think of from the top of my head-hope that clears some things up.

makmoco
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by makmoco »

How many hours do I need in my Logbook in order to be able to write the CPAER?

Cheftony
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Cheftony »

makmoco wrote:How many hours do I need in my Logbook in order to be able to write the CPAER?

redlaser
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by redlaser »

CARS 421.13, 50% of the required hours to write the exam.

Don't let your wife talk you out of buying an airplane, :D

Return to “Flight Training”