Landing/Taking Off in CYTZ

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

dirtysidedown
Rank 2
Rank 2

Landing/Taking Off in CYTZ

Post by dirtysidedown »

Quick question for the AVCanada gods...

I have planned a trip to CYTZ with my wife for our 1 yr anniversary and I just recently heard that you technically need life vests due to the approach over water. Is that true? I've been there once already with my instructor for night rating training, but I always like to know before hand.

Cheers.

**EDIT**
602.62 (1) No person shall conduct a take-off or a landing on water in an aircraft or operate an aircraft over water beyond a point where the aircraft could reach shore in the event of an engine failure, unless a life preserver, individual flotation device or personal flotation device is carried for each person on board.

So if i read that correctly, I am technically within reaching the shore if my engine failed as long as I am flying the VFR route into the airport.
---------- ADS -----------

Condorito
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: Landing/Taking Off in CYTZ

Post by Condorito »

You are fine. Do you think those flight school airplanes have life jackets? Stay high and close.

NotDirty!
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NotDirty! »

While not necessary if you follow the procedures, it might be something to consider if you want the added flexibility. Aircraft Spruce has a reasonably priced model that should satisfy anybody who claims you are outside of gliding distance of shore.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

A fair, and reasonable question. If you think this through, you can keep within gliding distance of shore nearly all of the time. Bear in mind though, that if it quits, splashing it right next to the shore of your choice might be most safe thing to do. I like the idea of life jackets, but agree that it's overkill for YTZ. If you choose to wear them, you should not feel the less for it. If you choose to not have them aboard, you can still conduct the flight safely.

From a practical stand point, there are usually enough boats around, that you could splash very close to one if you had to. Not the ultimate solution, but better than being by yourself out there!

Also, if you're not aware, I was very kindly told while I was taxiing in there a few weeks back, that I was supposed to have a transponder, which I did not. I did say on initial contact, that I did not have one, and they let me into the airspace with no comment then. Once on the ground, they said that they let me in "because they wanted to see my plane". You just gotta like air traffic controllers who enjoy their job, and help out the "country mouse". I promised next time to fly my other plane, which is properly equipped....

Enjoy your trip to the Island...

FenderManDan
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by FenderManDan »

I would worry where to go down on land since there are few options if you can't glide to the airport. Going high will not work tower will keep you 2000 and below. Beautiful views though.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Assuming you don't have to ditch, nobody is going to check whether you have a life preserver or flotation device on board or not.

If you do have to ditch, the fire dept. there have a very spiffy quick launch rescue boat. You just have to float long enough for them to come to get you.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
DCL415
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by DCL415 »

I did my first flying hours there, with Island Air in a C150 that did not carry lifejackets. I personally don´t think they are necessary. The area is so beautiful I enjoyed it a lot.
In the last landing a sailboat passed right next to the no sailing area in front of runaway 26, I saw that mast very close, but we landed no issues.

PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Back in the early '80's, I had the 182 quit just as I was passing the CN eastbound tour sight seeing. The Island Airport was perfectly positioned for a forced landing. Without it, it would have been very messy!

On my solo helicopter cross country, YTZ was a required stop. I landed in, and was then cleared out eastbound to remain below 600 feet, and north of the approach to 26. It's a tight fit, and I watched a lot of balconies go by, some above me! I had not thought to take a lifejacket on that flight, but I surely would have needed it if that Lycoming quit!

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

As far as waving at the condos above you goes, try circuits on runway 33 :-)

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
PilotDAR
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by PilotDAR »

Indeed! They let me depart 33 a few years ago in the 150, but I had the sense that such a departure was becoming very rare. Again, zero place to go safely if it quits on climb out - just no longer worth the risk...

When I landed the amphib there a few weeks back, the tower asked me if it would be water or runway. It had been so long since I had landed in the harbour, I did not realize they still allowed it. But, I'd planned runway, so I stuck to the plan....

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

PilotDAR wrote:
Indeed! They let me depart 33 a few years ago in the 150, but I had the sense that such a departure was becoming very rare.
Departures on 33 are permitted only in the winter, when there's no shipping in the channel and arrivals 15 are never permitted :-(
EFATO means a smart left turn to the Ontario Place car parks.

When there's a winter north-westerly, circuits on 33 are a bundle of fun!

Colonel Sanders
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Colonel Sanders »

arrivals 15 are never permitted
At least around here, rarely is the wind strong
enough from the south-east to even consider
using it.

I've been flying at my airport for 26 years now,
and I can count on the fingers of both hands,
the number of times I've landed on runway
15 (the grass, 1400 feet).

Actually, using runway 14 at Ottawa is a huge
deal. You have to tell the tower that you have
no other choice, or some such nonsense. The
neighbours go hog wild. The phone rings off
the hook. David Suzuki weighs in with an episode
of the modestly-named "Nature of Everything",
and Margaret Atwood puts her emotions arising
from the incident in a new chapter of her sequel
to "Surfacing".

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Margaret Atwood flies out of CYTZ on Porter. I've seen her on the ferry.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2013/05 ... n_bid.html

Sigh.

Condorito
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Condorito »

Colonel Sanders wrote:

Actually, using runway 14 at Ottawa is a huge
deal. You have to tell the tower that you have
no other choice, or some such nonsense. The
neighbours go hog wild. The phone rings off
the hook. David Suzuki weighs in with an episode
of the modestly-named "Nature of Everything",
and Margaret Atwood puts her emotions arising
from the incident in a new chapter of her sequel
to "Surfacing".
They probably Have a Runway 14 Approach & Departure Committee (R14ADC) to approve your operation. David Suzuki and Margaret Atwood are ofcourse part of the Board of Directors of R14ADC... :D

CD
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by CD »

YYZSaabGuy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by YYZSaabGuy »

photofly wrote:Margaret Atwood flies out of CYTZ on Porter. I've seen her on the ferry.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2013/05 ... n_bid.html

Sigh.
+1. Gotta love her hypocrisy. I'm going to go out on a limb here and assume that I speak for the majority of AvCanadians when I say that I couldn't give a flying fig what Margaret Atwood thinks about CYTZ (or much of anything else, for that matter).

old_man
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by old_man »

photofly wrote: If you do have to ditch, the fire dept. there have a very spiffy quick launch rescue boat. You just have to float long enough for them to come to get you.
Last I checked the current temp was about anywhere around 45-51F. I don't think you will be floating for too long without a PFD.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

That was kind-of my point. I think people here are much too optimistic about the ability of the average person to swim fully clothed in cold water for more than a few minutes. I don't believe getting out of the aircraft is the biggest hurdle - it's what happens in the five minutes after.

Plane_sight
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Plane_sight »

photofly wrote:That was kind-of my point. I think people here are much too optimistic about the ability of the average person to swim fully clothed in cold water for more than a few minutes. I don't believe getting out of the aircraft is the biggest hurdle - it's what happens in the five minutes after.
Agreed. People just aren't that fit nowadays.

dirtysidedown
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by dirtysidedown »

Let me just say, what a wicked weekend to have flown into CYTZ! It was smooth as all .... !

Attachments
10344246_913001895935_4791904445804968804_o.jpg
10344246_913001895935_4791904445804968804_o.jpg (166.49 KiB) Viewed 1928 times

Return to “Flight Training”