Silly question re GPS holds

This forum has been developed to discuss flight instruction/University and College programs.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, Right Seat Captain, lilfssister, North Shore

chephy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Silly question re GPS holds

Post by chephy »

I just did my IFR rating in the U.S., and have even written the FAA->TC conversion exam; however, I'm still trying to figure out the intricate differences between flying IFR in the U.S. and in Canada. One thing that's stumping me now is GPS holds. In the U.S. any hold at the missed approach part of an RNAV approach is 4 miles long. However, I cannot find anything in the TC AIM or anywhere else as to what it is in Canada. Is it 4 miles? 5 miles? One minute? Hope someone can clear this up for me. Thanks!
---------- ADS -----------

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Silly question re GPS holds

Post by photofly »

chephy wrote:. In the U.S. any hold at the missed approach part of an RNAV approach is 4 miles long.
Do you have a documentary reference for that?

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

Standard hold for a missed approach is 1 minute legs, right hand turns, unless otherwise published.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Same in the US, too, as far as I know. Which is why I'm curious for a reference.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
chephy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by chephy »

Now that you mention it, photofly, I realize all I have for that is the words of my flight instructor and every single FAA approach plate I've seen up until today. Today I went digging to see what else is there on the approach plates, and was able to find a couple of U.S. airports where the legs for an RNAV missed approach hold are 5 NM, not 4 NM. I guess if the distances were omitted on the chart, it would be the same as in Canada, i.e. 1 minute; I just can't find any like that after looking at several TPPs, for a variety of areas (North East, Florida, a couple of others).

Thanks to Postmaster General for answering the question. I guess, since TC AIM describes all standard holds as 1 minute, GPS holds are included in there by default. That's what I probably would have assumed without having the U.S. training experience, but since I was so used to 4 NM in the U.S., I started having doubts re Canadian procedures.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

I wouldn't trust a flight instructor. I see it charted on a random selection of FAA plates though.

In Canada, 1 minute inbound legs, 1.5 minutes above 14,000 MSL, unless otherwise charted. Same in the US.

Shiny Side Up
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Shiny Side Up »

photofly wrote:I wouldn't trust a flight instructor.
That seems to be the general theme of the forum.

We can't stop here! This is BAT country!
photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

Well, maybe I understated the case. I generally don't trust anyone.

Colonel Sanders
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Colonel Sanders »

Now you've hurt my feelings ...

PointyEngine
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by PointyEngine »

photofly wrote:I wouldn't trust a flight instructor. I see it charted on a random selection of FAA plates though...
+1 :lol:

Big Pistons Forever
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Big Pistons Forever »

The few times I have actually been given a hold clearance I have asked for 5 mile legs. My request was approved every time. Outside of the fantasy land IFR that is what TC wants for the IFR flight test, anybody who actually times a hold is just needless making life hard for himself as well as wasting brain power that could be employed on more important things.

Also notice I said "The few times I have actually been given a hold clearance". I only actual flew maybe a third of the holds I was cleared for. Flying a hold is a complete waste of airtime and therefore money. An early speed reduction can often obviate the need for a hold but you need to pay attention to the big picture and be proactive with ATC.

PostmasterGeneral
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by PostmasterGeneral »

Colonel Sanders wrote:Now you've hurt my feelings ...
Must be that time of the month?

Colonel Sanders
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Colonel Sanders »

Yup - Ramadan is finally over!

Return to “Flight Training”