The Air Canada OTS thread

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

your flight time ?

500+ PIC JET
4%
500+ PIC JET 2 CREW
10%
500+ PIC TURBOPROP 2 CREW
16%
1000+ F/O JET/TURBOPROP 2 CREW
17%
Total Time 1500/2000
5%
2000/3000
11%
3000/ More
37%

Total votes: 969

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: The Air Canada OTS thread

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

No no Victory - *everyone* is going Captain now, so don't worry.

Flat pay is a myth. #flatpayhoax

S.
---------- ADS -----------

nottellin
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by nottellin »

Any updates on next gs. Start dates and if calls have gone out?

Cheers

TheStig
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by TheStig »

There have been 3 classes of 40 in 2018.

Planned dates/sizes:*
-March 12th/30
-April 2nd/30
-April 23rd/30
-possibly May 14th/30

*All subject to change.

This hiring is to see the airline through the summer, lots of changes to the fleet composition and bases starting in the fall.

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

TheStig wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:35 pmlots of changes to the fleet composition and bases starting in the fall.
Can you expand on this?

Is it the shuffling of aircraft and types due to the Max showing up? Or actually new bases opening up?

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

Donald wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:01 pm
TheStig wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:35 pmlots of changes to the fleet composition and bases starting in the fall.
Can you expand on this?

Is it the shuffling of aircraft and types due to the Max showing up? Or actually new bases opening up?
Ben S gave employees a heads up on a bunch of changes coming ahead of announcing it to the public next week. In the mean time it’s supposed to be confidential.

Base openings were not part of it.

yvrflyguy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by yvrflyguy »

Has anyone heard back after doing their video interview? PFO or in person interview? If so, what was the turn around time?

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

1.5 years for the video interview but likely much faster now.

I applied in the first AC window in 2016.

S.

98 Corolla
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 98 Corolla »

3 weeks from online interview completion to offer for in-person interview.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

My question is - if OTS is going in 3 weeks - why even bother with the Express PML...that's awesome.

Good luck 98.

S.

DEFPOTEC
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by DEFPOTEC »

Well I’m coming up on 5 weeks from video interview. Am I out?

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

Nope, 6 weeks for some of the latest guys from video to in person. Patience

AvifiskAlly
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by AvifiskAlly »

tbaylx wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:42 pm Nope, 6 weeks for some of the latest guys from video to in person. Patience
Doesn't the new Express Carrier Portal and PMA drastically change the game for OTS? I would say it is pretty obvious AC is going all in on filling their Express aircraft with pilots

C208
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by C208 »

I suppose I am feeling slightly defeated at the moment. I applied long long ago and was put into a pool, (2 years in the pool). I was eventually (finally) given my PIT course date and medical, offered in March 2014; however I had already taken a job with another company and signed a contract. Which is fine its a fantastic company and schedule is awesome, good people ect. On October 27th I reapplied to AC thinking that in 18 months from then I may be ready to leave the current position and who knows, maybe fly for Big Red!! I haven't heard a thing back since applying, and I suppose Im feeling down on myself cause When I was offered the interview and subsequent Job the first time I had half the time and most of my Turbine time was a darn Caravan in Africa! Now I got all this fancy Jet PIC and Glass time and well wouldn't you know.....all is quiet.

6000Hrs, Enough Jet Pic, 3500 Total PIC.

What is a guy to think. I Will hang in there!

gtanorth
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by gtanorth »

C208 wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:23 pm I suppose I am feeling slightly defeated at the moment. I applied long long ago and was put into a pool, (2 years in the pool). I was eventually (finally) given my PIT course date and medical, offered in March 2014; however I had already taken a job with another company and signed a contract. Which is fine its a fantastic company and schedule is awesome, good people ect. On October 27th I reapplied to AC thinking that in 18 months from then I may be ready to leave the current position and who knows, maybe fly for Big Red!! I haven't heard a thing back since applying, and I suppose Im feeling down on myself cause When I was offered the interview and subsequent Job the first time I had half the time and most of my Turbine time was a darn Caravan in Africa! Now I got all this fancy Jet PIC and Glass time and well wouldn't you know.....all is quiet.

Go to an express carrier. No brainer

yvrflyguy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by yvrflyguy »

5 Days from video interview to call for in-person interview. Apparently there are 3 online assessments we have to complete at home before heading in for the interview....sound like behavioural stuff. Has anyone does this? Would love some info if anyone can share! Cheers

98 Corolla
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 98 Corolla »

The online stuff is a personality test where you rank which statements are most like to least. You do one involving numbers but don't worry it's very simple math. I think it tests your ability to work accurately while working quickly. Then there is one involving symbols which I imagine tests your spatial awareness. I think that was it. I recommend doing the last two in a very quiet, distraction free environment. Not right after you wake up or when you are tired either. You want to be alert and focused.
When you go to the in-person there is also a psych exam on the computer. It's just simple yes or no questions or similar.
They try to do your medical the same day as the interview but it depends on if there is a doctor slot available that day.

tbaylx
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by tbaylx »

AvifiskAlly wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:15 pm
tbaylx wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 3:42 pm Nope, 6 weeks for some of the latest guys from video to in person. Patience
Doesn't the new Express Carrier Portal and PMA drastically change the game for OTS? I would say it is pretty obvious AC is going all in on filling their Express aircraft with pilots
Not so far, OTS still being hired

AvifiskAlly
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by AvifiskAlly »

tbaylx wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 5:09 am
AvifiskAlly wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 5:15 pm
Not so far, OTS still being hired
The New PMA was just released Friday. Im sure OTS hiring will certainly continue but it seems like a lot more preference will be placed on moving people through the Express carriers. The language and commitment to/from each carrier has grown exponentially. It will be interesting to see what pans out once all those that have already been green lighted are on property.

Transonic
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Transonic »

gtanorth wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:20 pm
C208 wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 6:23 pm I suppose I am feeling slightly defeated at the moment. I applied long long ago and was put into a pool, (2 years in the pool). I was eventually (finally) given my PIT course date and medical, offered in March 2014; however I had already taken a job with another company and signed a contract. Which is fine its a fantastic company and schedule is awesome, good people ect. On October 27th I reapplied to AC thinking that in 18 months from then I may be ready to leave the current position and who knows, maybe fly for Big Red!! I haven't heard a thing back since applying, and I suppose Im feeling down on myself cause When I was offered the interview and subsequent Job the first time I had half the time and most of my Turbine time was a darn Caravan in Africa! Now I got all this fancy Jet PIC and Glass time and well wouldn't you know.....all is quiet.

Why? He could get a call tomorrow for an interview. People are going through the process in as little as 5 weeks during this spring hiring boom. Why miss this opportunity while waiting for 2 years at an express carrier? C208 can always apply to an express as a plan b.

AvifiskAlly
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by AvifiskAlly »

Transonic wrote: Sun Mar 04, 2018 6:26 am
gtanorth wrote: Sat Mar 03, 2018 7:20 pm

Why? He could get a call tomorrow for an interview. People are going through the process in as little as 5 weeks during this spring hiring boom. Why miss this opportunity while waiting for 2 years at an express carrier? C208 can always apply to an express as a plan b.
Fair just think the new PMA changes the game a bit. If you have been spinning around waiting that means they did not want you at the time and you have 0 visibility as to why. Yes, a call could come next weak but a call could not come for 3 years or at all. At least going to express he would have points for that itself and be able to see where he is and reduce the competitive field to only his own express peers. People that have been moving through quickly from OTS have almost all been 737 skippers or people with 4 yrs uni and some great big jet PIC time. If he has been waiting in limbo there is something they dont like or are waiting to change.

Return to “Air Canada”