pre employment drug test positive for benzos

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

brickwall
Rank 0
Rank 0

pre employment drug test positive for benzos

Post by brickwall »

I have just completed my AC medical and my drug test screened positive for benzos. I had a prescription for valium from over a year ago to help me sleep at night. I took a pill 2 weeks ago and prior to that it was months before the last time I took it. I explained to the nurse the reason and highlighted the fact that it is not frequent nor habitual use. Apparently my urine is lab bound for further testing. My question is will this be a guaranteed refusal for employment? I would understand if someone is a drug abuser but would having taken a single pill in the last 2months stop me from being hired?

I would gladly throw them out and agree to bimonthly screening for as long as the company wanted to prove it is not being used or abused.
---------- ADS -----------

FL020
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: pre employment drug test positive for benzos

Post by FL020 »

Wonder how acpa would handle that one!!?

LTD
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by LTD »

Brickwall,

Check your pm..

TheStig
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by TheStig »

FL020 wrote:Wonder how acpa would handle that one!!?
I'm not sure what your problem with ACPA is? I think everyone can agree it's not perfect, but I don't understand why everyone seems to fault ACPA for absolutely everything? Do you understand that a union can only defend its members? ACPA can't protect pilots before they're hired. Air Canada alone decides who it hires.

Brickwall, you're not an abuser further testing should show that, best of luck. The testing is pretty sensitive and there are not shortage of pilots who get hung up for a short period of time while things get sorted out, if you can, try to follow up with the medical department to make sure things get sorted out.

acpoolie
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by acpoolie »

Do you mind sharing when u interviewed? Care to share credentials? I am in the middle of the pack in the pool but don't think they are going in order now. Thanks!

Chuck Finley
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Chuck Finley »

Might be a good idea to find a copy of your prescription or a note from the dr. who prescribe it to you and sharing that info with AC's medical folks!

brickwall
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by brickwall »

Thanks for the PM LTD.

Questions answered thanks folks.

Norwegianwood
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Norwegianwood »

TheStig wrote:fault ACPA for absolutely everything? Do you understand that a union can only defend its members?
Only when it suit's them! :twisted:

NW

pigboat
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by pigboat »

FYI

Over the last five years there have been several candidates rejected AND reported to the MOT due to failing drug screenings. Sometimes drugs can be detected months after your last exposure. Keep this in mind before a new hire medical.

seniorpumpkin
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by seniorpumpkin »

Is the AC medical department against all 'drugs'?
I take a low dose steroid to control asthma, TC says it's fine. Should I be worried when/if big red ever calls?

Flying airplanes is easy, you just need to PAY ATTENTION. Finding a good job on the other hand takes experience, practice, and some serious talent.

Return to “Air Canada”