C series

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: C series

Post by altiplano »

Might as well fire up the Concorde...

London City with an all business CS isn't happening...
---------- ADS -----------

Gino Under
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Gino Under »

I'm not saying it's something Air Canada intends on doing. All Business Class in an A318 worked for BA. Why wouldn't it work for Air Canada?
The A220 has superior economics to an A318. Concorde isn't even close when it comes to DOC, but "time is money".

Gino

Lightchop
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Lightchop »

Gino Under wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 9:12 am I'm not saying it's something Air Canada intends on doing. All Business Class in an A318 worked for BA. Why wouldn't it work for Air Canada?
The A220 has superior economics to an A318. Concorde isn't even close when it comes to DOC, but "time is money".

Gino
Because they were flying to new york not toronto.

Speedalive
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Speedalive »

There's got to be a decent amount of demand for YYZ-LON. AC alone has 4 wide-body flights from YYZ-LHR + competing service from the likes of BA, WS, TS, etc. I think re-configuring the Cseries to all business is a little out there, but I could see YYZ-LCY with a tech stop in YUL with the standard seating config. The A220 has the range for it and AC already serves a similar destination, catchment wise (YTZ). So they would have some experience marketing a destination like LCY. There's also a ton of connection opportunities on the YYZ side. You could basically get from downtown London to anywhere in Canada/US depending on the timing, and that wouldn't just appeal to business travelers, but perhaps also tourists who spend most of the time in the city, which would help fill the Y cabin.

It probably won't happen, but it's fun to think about.

Gino Under
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Gino Under »

C Series isn’t going to compete with anybody (to London) on peak hours out of YYZ or YUL. That’s not news. Off hours presents a different opportunity all together. Any aircraft configured with 42 J class seats is a tough sell on a good day. Planning, marketing, and schedule however could help rake in some good bucks for AC. Surely, it’s easier to entice 42 business class travellers than 200+ lowest-fare-possible budget travellers. Even for AC.
Leave YYZ 7:30 am and arrive in LCY around supper time, rested. Depart LCY a few days later, around 7:00 pm, get into YYZ near midnight.
Speaking from experience, those timings really help with jet lag.

But you’re right, it’s fun to speculate while realizing at the same time, it’s not likely to happen.

Gino

WF9F
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WF9F »

Air Canada is not doing any ETOPS with the A220.
Only narrow body doing ETOPS at Mainline is the 737...
Official word from the A220 guys..
There will be no LCY!!
We have enough seats to LHR and take the train or a taxi to downtown!! :D

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Gino Under wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:16 pm C Series isn’t going to compete with anybody (to London) on peak hours out of YYZ or YUL. That’s not news. Off hours presents a different opportunity all together. Any aircraft configured with 42 J class seats is a tough sell on a good day. Planning, marketing, and schedule however could help rake in some good bucks for AC. Surely, it’s easier to entice 42 business class travellers than 200+ lowest-fare-possible budget travellers. Even for AC.
Leave YYZ 7:30 am and arrive in LCY around supper time, rested. Depart LCY a few days later, around 7:00 pm, get into YYZ near midnight.
Speaking from experience, those timings really help with jet lag.

But you’re right, it’s fun to speculate while realizing at the same time, it’s not likely to happen.

Gino
AC already run the "Day tripper, 868" on about that schedule, about an 08:30 departure out of YYZ, arrives in LHR in time for evening dinner and drinks. Depart LHR after supper and late arrival in YYZ...

It's a great flight from a crew perspective - normal sleep cycle - and serves primarily those staying in London/Toronto as there are fewer connection options available with those arrival times.

Even with the great CS economics, a full 787-9 with 30 in business, another 20 in premium economy and another 250 or so in economy has even better economics...

vs. London City? Where you have to start a new base with employees, managers, gates, desks, maintenance, etc., just to poach the most lucrative passengers out of your already prime time service that you make more money on... it doesn't make sense...

For BA, they have a presence in the city airport already, it's just one more flight, staff are in place anyway, they can even run connections through there to other routes...

Agreed, fun to think about... but not feasible...

yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by yycflyguy »

WF9F wrote: Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:20 pm Air Canada is not doing any ETOPS with the A220.
Only narrow body doing ETOPS at Mainline is the 737...
Official word from the A220 guys..
There will be no LCY!!
We have enough seats to LHR and take the train or a taxi to downtown!! :D
I'm not so sure about that. Maybe no LCY, but I fully expect it to do secondary market ETOPs flying. Time will tell.

WF9F
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WF9F »

There is no ETOPS certification for the A220.....

Gino Under
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Gino Under »

The CSeries/A220 is ETOPS certified for 180 minutes.
Korean Air Lines will use it to serve Japan from Seoul.
Up to Air Canada.

Gino :partyman:

WF9F
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WF9F »

Yes I know A220 has ETOPS but I should have said the 220 will not do ETOPS at AC...

yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by yycflyguy »

I'll take that bet!

WF9F
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WF9F »

This from the top of the A220 group but I’ll take your money....easy money , hope your not on flat pay cause I’d feel bad taking from ya!! :D

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

That's what I heard too... no ETOPs...

Prairies and LaGuardia.

Probably B-scale regional replacement flying too.

WF9F
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WF9F »

And all going to Mainline...No talks or discussion of them doing anything Rouge....

Joe Blow Schmo
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Joe Blow Schmo »

Gino Under wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:57 pm The CSeries/A220 is ETOPS certified for 180 minutes.
Korean Air Lines will use it to serve Japan from Seoul.
Up to Air Canada.

Gino :partyman:
No ETOPS required for flights from Seoul to Japan. They range from 45 minutes to 2 hours depending on destination and never more than a few minutes away from an airport.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

WF9F wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:30 am And all going to Mainline...No talks or discussion of them doing anything Rouge....
Here's hoping... BUT...

No more talk or discussion required. They already happened!

53% gave it up in 2017... then KV and MH gave it the rest of the way earlier this year with the RRA MOA.

The corp can certainly do it... and outside the baselines on the RRA deal. The only way they don't is they figure they want something else there... maybe they start moving the rest of the 319s instead as the CS arrives.

We will see... but don't be surprised.

yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by yycflyguy »

WF9F wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:32 pm This from the top of the A220 group but I’ll take your money....easy money , hope your not on flat pay cause I’d feel bad taking from ya!! :D
I'm sure you were told that.

Just like I was told:
"the Embraer auto brakes are coming next quarter."
"rouge is only for leisure markets"
"the company will be selecting the NEO over the 737"
"AC624 was a hard landing"
"AC878 encountered turbulence mid-flight"
"the 737 HUDs are coming next quarter"
"we have heard your concerns over uniform/luggage/layover hotel/FDT/pbs and are working on a solution"

and my personal fav:
"we have established a new working relationship with the pilots"

I still see potential for YHZ/YYT/YQB/YUL - secondary UK/France market ETOPs flying. There is no "top of the A220" right now other than the CP. They are presently recruiting to fill training/checking positions.

Those who make the decisions today will be replaced by those who change the decisions tomorrow. Circle of life, my friend, circle of life.

groundpilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by groundpilot »

yycflyguy wrote: Wed Dec 05, 2018 8:51 am
WF9F wrote: Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:32 pm This from the top of the A220 group but I’ll take your money....easy money , hope your not on flat pay cause I’d feel bad taking from ya!! :D
I'm sure you were told that.

Just like I was told:
"the Embraer auto brakes are coming next quarter."
"rouge is only for leisure markets"
"the company will be selecting the NEO over the 737"
"AC624 was a hard landing"
"AC878 encountered turbulence mid-flight"
"the 737 HUDs are coming next quarter"
"we have heard your concerns over uniform/luggage/layover hotel/FDT/pbs and are working on a solution"

and my personal fav:
"we have established a new working relationship with the pilots"

I still see potential for YHZ/YYT/YQB/YUL - secondary UK/France market ETOPs flying. There is no "top of the A220" right now other than the CP. They are presently recruiting to fill training/checking positions.

Those who make the decisions today will be replaced by those who change the decisions tomorrow. Circle of life, my friend, circle of life.
Indeed

WF9F
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by WF9F »

Ok boys I gues we will revisit this thread in a couple years and see ....I’ll go with what I was told.
Yes there is no top of the A220 but there are people instrumental in getting it up and going , if ETOPS were coming they’d know, just like they did with the 737s.
Also those routes from YUL/YYT/YHZ to the UK and France are done by the 737.
If they were going to Rouge and/or getting ETOPS then that would require regulatory work with TC and that is not the case.

Return to “Air Canada”