The Air Canada OTS thread

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

your flight time ?

500+ PIC JET
4%
500+ PIC JET 2 CREW
10%
500+ PIC TURBOPROP 2 CREW
16%
1000+ F/O JET/TURBOPROP 2 CREW
17%
Total Time 1500/2000
5%
2000/3000
11%
3000/ More
37%

Total votes: 969

pigboat
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: The Air Canada OTS thread

Post by pigboat »

Our new V.P. told me last week that his plans are to move to year round training. How soon that happens, I do not know.
---------- ADS -----------

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

Heard through one of my big red buddies (an ''old'' guy) that at times, some new hires are put into A330 right seats and in 1.5 to 2 years, are eligible to bid 737 captain.

Sounds like extremely good times, also sounds like the good times are going to roll for the foreseeable future. I can see Air Canada training year round.

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
dashtrash1
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dashtrash1 »

1.5 to 2 years seems a little optimistic unless you had a reserved seniority number. I think the bottom 737 CA is around 3000 in the seniority list. I have seen 320 CA go much lower than that though. Good times regardless!

pigboat
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by pigboat »

There are a few going 737 CA positions at 3 years, A320 at 2 years and EMB at 1 year, Do not plan on those times holding into the future. You might get lucky and hold a Captain position after a year or two but especially for planning cash flow during the first 4 years at AC, do not plan on it. As the C series comes in I strongly suspect that it will go higher seniority that the EMB currently goes.

Big changes from the 10 years as a S/O and about 17 years to get to a Captains chair! Lots of great chairs to sit in while waiting and 120 retirements a year into the distant future.

Regards

groundpilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by groundpilot »

Not to be Debbie downer but 74 planned retirements for this year.

Seems like these retirement goal posts are always moving back

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

groundpilot wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:40 am Not to be Debbie downer but 74 planned retirements for this year.

Is that 74 turning 65?
Or 74 that have given the 1 year notice?
Or 74 combined 65 and under 65 that have given the 1 year notice?
Or ... ?

I understand some turning 65 aren't putting in any notice, and are maybe not going easy.

Just curious where the number is from too? CMSC?

pigboat
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by pigboat »

When you see lower numbers of retirements this year, it is due to quite a few pulling the plug before age 65. Most seem to go at 62 or 63. Some stay to the end. Staying beyond 65 would mean a seat change and no one has done that so far. ............. Fly til You die! Look at how many reach age 65 each year and it is between 100 and 120 for most of the next eight years.

It would be nice to just have an age chart so you know how many retire each year. A good planning tool.

groundpilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by groundpilot »

altiplano wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 10:54 am
groundpilot wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:40 am Not to be Debbie downer but 74 planned retirements for this year.

Is that 74 turning 65?
Or 74 that have given the 1 year notice?
Or 74 combined 65 and under 65 that have given the 1 year notice?
Or ... ?

I understand some turning 65 aren't putting in any notice, and are maybe not going easy.

Just curious where the number is from too? CMSC?
This is right from the horses mouth at crew planning

pigboat
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by pigboat »

That is 74 whom have given the one year notice. There is a penalty if we do not give 365 days notice.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

pigboat wrote: Sat Apr 14, 2018 3:35 pm That is 74 whom have given the one year notice. There is a penalty if we do not give 365 days notice.
There isn't a penalty if you don't put in notice and turn 65.

TOGA Party
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by TOGA Party »

I hear that many turning 65 are not giving retirement notice as they feel it will help them if/when a 67-year arrangement comes up and they want to continue.

Push and roll, push and roll.
TheStig
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by TheStig »

At 65 pilots who haven't given their notice are moved to inactive status and coded ITF, under article 20, 'ineligible to fly', not technically retired...

However, if someone in crew planing says 74 retiring, I'd assume they've included those turning 65.

Most pilots leaving before 65 give their notice in the spring, take their annual vacation then retire before summer. In March, April and May just under 30 left this year.

The April equipment bid was 'delayed', effectively cancelled, the next one will be in June. It will be interesting to see how pilots are moved off the L767 in YVR, off the EMJ in YYZ and whether hiring will taper off into 2019.

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

Sounds about right. This year is the first year we will see pilots hitting 65. Five years ago when the rules changed many still retired at 60. Over that initial year the percentage of people staying beyond 60 quickly grew.

It should be no surprise that this years retirement numbers are sub 100. Next year should produce the expected numbers. Doesn’t really matter though as crew planning is always looking 1 year ahead.

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

Sounds about right. This year is the first year we will see pilots hitting 65. Five years ago when the rules changed many still retired at 60. Over that initial year the percentage of people staying beyond 60 quickly grew.

It should be no surprise that this years retirement numbers are sub 100. Next year should produce the expected numbers. Doesn’t really matter though as crew planning is always looking 1 year ahead.

IFLY81
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by IFLY81 »

New Career website for Air Canada....

Do we need to apply again for the existing application?

Thanks.

pigboat
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by pigboat »

The son of a friend just got the call this week for a course in late May. About 8 weeks after the interview process completed.

FYI

Jimmy2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Jimmy2 »

Late May. I wonder if the May 14th course got pushed back or they added another after it?

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

Keep that application updated; air canada has always worked in mysterious ways but one thing for sure is that they are in dire need for airplane drivers. Stating the obvious, now is one of those incredibly rare times where demand far surpasses supply.

Buddy of mine who ended up a checker in one of the widebodies tells me that the plan is for two courses of 40 people each month for the foreseeable future.

That's a whole lot of people.

Having said that, the capacity to absorb newhires may become an issue. Kind of silly, but where will all of those instructors come from?

Regardless of their deal about taking a percentage out of the feeders, they remain with a big problem.....filling seats.....no matter what.

Stating another obvious issue, rendering their feeders incapable of providing service because their pilots were poached does not make a whole lot of sense either. Nobody said life was fair, it actually never was.

It's all about putting bum's in seats and I mean that in the sense of putting anyone who can actually do the job, not bums as in losers.

So keep that application up. Chances are you will be called.

The thing about percentages on hiring and all of that stuff espoused by some feeder guys means nothing. The corporation is not going to compromise their major operations for some minor feeder deal.

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
groundpilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by groundpilot »

From what I can tell and heard,

there will be a small class on May 14th then none till September

landsky
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by landsky »

groundpilot wrote: Sun May 06, 2018 6:23 am From what I can tell and heard,

there will be a small class on May 14th then none till September
I've heard the same. I'm a recent new hire and had to wait 8 weeks after my PIT before getting in the sim because the training department is so backed up and sim slots are limited. From what I've heard they will take the summer to catch up and then resume hiring in large numbers in September.

Last edited by landsky on Sun May 06, 2018 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Air Canada”