The Air Canada OTS thread

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

your flight time ?

500+ PIC JET
4%
500+ PIC JET 2 CREW
10%
500+ PIC TURBOPROP 2 CREW
16%
1000+ F/O JET/TURBOPROP 2 CREW
16%
Total Time 1500/2000
5%
2000/3000
11%
3000/ More
37%

Total votes: 971

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: The Air Canada OTS thread

Post by flying4dollars »

derateNO wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:46 am Well, you're fighting from one of about 350 positions. Up against military, SW, WJ and overseas widebody Captains.

Probably would have been a better idea to stay at Jazz. You'd have been at AC a year already. Guess it wasn't so smart after all to go to Flair for the quick payday.
I wasn't at Jazz and I didn't go to Flair to chase a paycheque. I took a paycut actually, so the assumptions are off on both accounts. Also as mentioned, all I got to do was a video interview. Hadn't been given an in-person interview and waited about 6 months after doing the video interview before I changed companies, so saying I would have already been a year at AC is not really accurate.

I totally get there's always competition but figured after years of applying without hearing anything, especially considering the vacancies, I found was a bit baffling. Figured someone at AC might have an idea as to why.

Cheers
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by flying4dollars on Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bob99
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bob99 »

It can be a bit baffling, but there's simply just lots of competition. Most of those vacancies will go to Jazz. And it seems there's no shortage of applicants from WJ, SW, and overseas heavy jet. If you're not one of those, expect to wait (but don't give up).

derateNO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by derateNO »

flying4dollars wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:07 pm
derateNO wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:46 am Well, you're fighting from one of about 350 positions. Up against military, SW, WJ and overseas widebody Captains.

Probably would have been a better idea to stay at Jazz. You'd have been at AC a year already. Guess it wasn't so smart after all to go to Flair for the quick payday.
I wasn't at Jazz and I didn't go to Flair to chase a paycheque. I took a paycut actually, so the assumptions are off on both accounts. Also as mentioned, all I got to do was a video interview. Hadn't been given an in-person interview and waited about 6 months after doing the video interview before I changed companies, so saying I would have already been a year at AC is not really accurate.

I totally get there's always competition but figured after years of applying without hearing anything, especially considering the vacancies, I found was a bit baffling. Figured someone at AC might have an idea as to why.

Cheers
Sorry, I assumed you were at Jazz given you were talking about PML and technically no other express carrier has ever had a PML. Even a version 2.0.

derateNO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by derateNO »

bob99 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:17 pm It can be a bit baffling, but there's simply just lots of competition. Most of those vacancies will go to Jazz. And it seems there's no shortage of applicants from WJ, SW, and overseas heavy jet. If you're not one of those, expect to wait (but don't give up).
There's been a bunch of Encore in the past few months, but given the vacancies on the widebodies I would imagine the company will be focusing more on overseas.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

flying4dollars wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:07 pm

Cheers
I find that strange that you didn't hear back after a video interview. You should have heard something I would expect.

I imagine they told you an approximation on when you might expect the next step or hearing from them after the video interview?

Did you follow up at all?

I would guess there may have been a technical issue with either the video interview not being submitted or their response not being received by you. Or perhaps it slipped through the cracks or fell off the back of a desk.

Nonetheless, I know the feeling and it's frustrating and tough to understand the system - try to not let or get to you and keep applying. Maybe even follow up on the earlier video interview? See what went wrong with your application?

bob99
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bob99 »

derateNO wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:55 pm
bob99 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:17 pm It can be a bit baffling, but there's simply just lots of competition. Most of those vacancies will go to Jazz. And it seems there's no shortage of applicants from WJ, SW, and overseas heavy jet. If you're not one of those, expect to wait (but don't give up).
There's been a bunch of Encore in the past few months, but given the vacancies on the widebodies I would imagine the company will be focusing more on overseas.
August was the last class that had anyone directly from Encore. Unless you meant interviewed. If so, that’s encouraging. I know some that interviewed in July and are still waiting.

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

derateNO wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 12:46 am Sorry, I assumed you were at Jazz given you were talking about PML and technically no other express carrier has ever had a PML. Even a version 2.0.
No sweat! Simple misunderstanding. I was at Georgian and yes, there was a PML. Though it was never really as efficient as planned. So my video interview was assigned according to my seniority but didn't receive any correspondence in the following months so I chose to move on from Georgian and get me some jet time and maybe give the resume some love so that I had some extra motivation for AC to call haha. Which is why I'm still left scratching my head 3 years later :rolleyes:

altiplano wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:15 pm
I find that strange that you didn't hear back after a video interview. You should have heard something I would expect.

I imagine they told you an approximation on when you might expect the next step or hearing from them after the video interview?

Did you follow up at all?

I would guess there may have been a technical issue with either the video interview not being submitted or their response not being received by you. Or perhaps it slipped through the cracks or fell off the back of a desk.

Nonetheless, I know the feeling and it's frustrating and tough to understand the system - try to not let or get to you and keep applying. Maybe even follow up on the earlier video interview? See what went wrong with your application?
I found it a bit odd too which is why I'm still baffled. I did follow up after a few months and I received an email back saying they were prioritizing people for in person interviews based on their levels of education, experience and background. I have an aviation diploma and tons of flight experience so I wasn't sure what I was missing at the time.

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

Maybe you picked your nose or slipped in a couple F-bombs during the video interview and didn't even realize it.

jpilot77
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by jpilot77 »

I was at Sky and from my video interview to an email setting up my in person was 10 months (that was in 2017-18). You probably moved on too quickly. As you left an express carrier your application died with it I would believe.

Welcome to Redneck Airlines. We might not get you there but we'll get you close!
iflyroads
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by iflyroads »

Squid wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:52 pm This coupled with Jazz having nobody to upgrade in their last bid. My guess is a all stop on hiring around the corner.

Large numbers planned for the ground schools in March.

flying4dollars
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by flying4dollars »

jpilot77 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:54 pm I was at Sky and from my video interview to an email setting up my in person was 10 months (that was in 2017-18). You probably moved on too quickly. As you left an express carrier your application died with it I would believe.
I suppose anything's possible! Ah well, I've reapplied anyways 😬

Thanks!

sdotz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sdotz »

iflyroads wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:34 pm
Squid wrote: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:52 pm This coupled with Jazz having nobody to upgrade in their last bid. My guess is a all stop on hiring around the corner.

IFR, are you referring to jazz or ac for large g/s in march?

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

'97 Tercel wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:44 pm Maybe you picked your nose or slipped in a couple F-bombs during the video interview and didn't even realize it.
I would hope they would appreciate the honesty in it.

iflyroads
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by iflyroads »

sdotz wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 7:31 pm
iflyroads wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 12:34 pm

IFR, are you referring to jazz or ac for large g/s in march?

AC, my apologies, I can see how that message was confusing

iflyroads
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by iflyroads »

Positions being offered on most recent GS (Feb 17th)

4 EMB
6 220
4 320
10 L319
4 767
4 L767
6 330 FO or RP
6 777 FO
4 787 FO

Some wide body positions may change depending on candidates experience. Some of the widebody FO positions may become Rp

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

bob99 wrote: Mon Feb 17, 2020 2:42 pm August was the last class that had anyone directly from Encore. Unless you meant interviewed. If so, that’s encouraging. I know some that interviewed in July and are still waiting.
Sounds like there may be a few offers for Encore pilots for the latter GS in March.

Squid
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Squid »

2 encore for the first course in March dunno about later

sdotz
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by sdotz »

anyone know if the apr g/s calls have been done?

Squid
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Squid »

It’s going to be interesting with the China cancels and max

Transition9er2
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Transition9er2 »

Any word on more calls going for the next class?

Really interested to see if there’s a slow down coming.

T.

Return to “Air Canada”