The Air Canada OTS thread

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

your flight time ?

500+ PIC JET
4%
500+ PIC JET 2 CREW
10%
500+ PIC TURBOPROP 2 CREW
16%
1000+ F/O JET/TURBOPROP 2 CREW
17%
Total Time 1500/2000
5%
2000/3000
11%
3000/ More
37%

Total votes: 969

SAExpress
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: The Air Canada OTS thread

Post by SAExpress »

Don’t know about calls but I wouldn’t worry too much about a hiring slowdown anytime soon. Pilots are still retiring in large numbers and the new fatigue regs are still happening, which are two of the large drivers of all the hiring going on. Even if demand slows down for a while and reduces the number of pilots required in total, AC is still far behind what they need for pilots numbers.

The last bid showed 900+ vacancies. Even if that reduces a bit because of lower demand, that’s still a lot of positions that need to be filled.
---------- ADS -----------

pilotbzh
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by pilotbzh »

then again, also loads of expats on the way home to fill the pool.....

derateNO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by derateNO »

I know of one that came, and quit after a few months. I think it might be harder to attract these WB CA from overseas with a pay of $50k.

Daniel Cooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Daniel Cooper »

derateNO wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:11 am I know of one that came, and quit after a few months. I think it might be harder to attract these WB CA from overseas with a pay of $50k.
Seems a bit suspect. Why would you go through training for months, and just when you are about to be released onto the line, quit due to the salary.

derateNO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by derateNO »

Dunno.

This guy was a 777 Captain who was laid off by Ethiad. So he didn't come here for the type rating..

Probably didn't realize how bad the pay actually was especially after taxes.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

That's good. The more that quit, the sooner the news makes it to the Golden Castle. Anywhere with DEC $100K and a Boeing would pick them off happily/easily I imagine.

If you figure you just need 3 or 5 years more, and aren't looking for longer... why not take the instant gratification. F@ck AC flat pay. I'm sorry to see us lose the experience from our group though... but if that's what it takes.

derateNO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by derateNO »

Agreed.

RVR6000
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RVR6000 »

1-2 or a handful quitting they don’t really care. AC has the Jazz puppy mill for an endless supply. Our mistake was signing the 10 years deal at 86% approval, buyers remorse.

alkaseltzer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by alkaseltzer »

Buyers remorse? Jazz sold out their young!

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Didn’t a new FO bring up the flat pay to Calin at a roadshow or meet n’ greet and he basically told him if he didn’t like it he should quit?

Let’s Go Brandon
RVR6000
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RVR6000 »

Inverted2 wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:48 pm Didn’t a new FO bring up the flat pay to Calin at a roadshow or meet n’ greet and he basically told him if he didn’t like it he should quit?
It was a mid-seniority Captain, and the response was go apply to Emirates.

garfield
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by garfield »

Calin is a logical man. If you're not happy why don't you apply to Emirates?

GATRKGA
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by GATRKGA »

RVR6000 wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:12 pm
Inverted2 wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:48 pm Didn’t a new FO bring up the flat pay to Calin at a roadshow or meet n’ greet and he basically told him if he didn’t like it he should quit?
Lol. Calin has a lot of respect for his pilots, doesn't he? That's a classless response. How about No, if I'm not happy I go back to my strike rights and put you out of a job? Wait, the group negotiated it away like a bunch of idiots. At least the upgrades are going junior for the foreseeable future and a lot of 26-year-olds can impress their tinder dates with a steak dinner on King Street. :lol:

We are a special breed of something, Canadian pilot's that is. And Calin knows exactly what he's saying, he knows half of his pilots aren't bright enough to pass the screening over at EK. Working for the devil! At least the group is flying the flag and can have a sense of patriotism. :smt040

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

GATRKGA wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:57 pm Calin has a lot of respect for his pilots, doesn't he? That's a classless response. How about No, if I'm not happy I go back to my strike rights and put you out of a job?
The main difference I see is that he doesn’t take this sort of thing personally. Neither should any employee.

TheStig
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by TheStig »

GATRKGA wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:57 pm
RVR6000 wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:12 pm
Lol. Calin has a lot of respect for his pilots, doesn't he? That's a classless response. How about No, if I'm not happy I go back to my strike rights and put you out of a job? Wait, the group negotiated it away like a bunch of idiots. At least the upgrades are going junior for the foreseeable future and a lot of 26-year-olds can impress their tinder dates with a steak dinner on King Street. :lol:

We are a special breed of something, Canadian pilot's that is. And Calin knows exactly what he's saying, he knows half of his pilots aren't bright enough to pass the screening over at EK. Working for the devil! At least the group is flying the flag and can have a sense of patriotism. :smt040
Calin Rovinescu has certainly shown a lot more respect than Robert Milton. I hate seeing the Roadshows turn into company pep rallies but I didn't have an issue with that response, if you want to have a no BS discussion with the CEO, expect a no BS response. Some dull fluffy politically correct non-answer would have been more offensive. The pilots know exactly where they stand because of the ability to have grown up conversations with Exectutives. It's easy to sit behind a computer monitor and take jabs at 4000 other pilots.

I've never liked comparisons to the NHL, but do you think the players love Gary Bettman? I doubt it, but they can see the results of the direction he's steered the league since he took over as Commissioner. The team owners and the NHLPA aren't equals but they are partners and both need each other to succeed. With the impending purchase of its biggest trans-atlantic competitor, what ACPA need more than anything is for its biggest domestic competitor to negotiate a contact that approaches the WACON in the ACPA CA. US pilot unions have greatly benefitted from being able to use each other as benchmarks.

The young Captains we're seeing today weren't on the property in 2014 so they can wash their hands of the 10 year term if they so wish, but not the fact that they've benefitted from it. The group who voted on the agreement undoubtably traded pay rates for career progression. The contract could have been unilaterally voided by ACPA if the airline didn't meet its growth targets. The biggest oversight, in hindsight, was capping the profit sharing EBIDAR and not negotiating for greater share matching, but I don't think anyone foresaw the share growth or profitability that has followed in the now 6 years since.

jetav8r
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jetav8r »

Hi all,

How long did AC take to call references and job offer from interview date. I'm thinking if they don't call references within 3-4 weeks, one can expect a PFO.

Thanks

Jet

derateNO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by derateNO »

If you think you'll hear in a month, sorry to burst your bubble. People have been waiting upwards of half a year.

jetav8r
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by jetav8r »

I heard a couple of guys got called within 3 weeks of interview even though they were told 8-12 weeks. Another guy was emailed a pfo within 4 weeks of interview. Yes I have heard up to 6 months as well but was wondering if the reference calls take 6 months as well.

derateNO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by derateNO »

My offer came a few days after the reference calls, however I was Jazz flow. That was after waiting 3 months to hear back as well.

FighterPilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FighterPilot »

Most folks get the call within a week of their references getting called. The calls might not necessarily go out to the references for a few months.

Return to “Air Canada”