The Air Canada OTS thread

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

your flight time ?

500+ PIC JET
4%
500+ PIC JET 2 CREW
10%
500+ PIC TURBOPROP 2 CREW
16%
1000+ F/O JET/TURBOPROP 2 CREW
16%
Total Time 1500/2000
5%
2000/3000
11%
3000/ More
37%

Total votes: 972

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Re: The Air Canada OTS thread

Post by av8ts »

If they made it a requirement then none of those quality pilots would get hired. As I it stands right now, many do.
---------- ADS -----------

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

I think he meant to remove it as a requirement. As of right now it is not. That allows them to hire the non diploma'd pilots, many of which are still getting hired but after people with degrees. Don't worry, the way things are going these days they are going to run out of pilots really fast if they only hire with degrees. Lots of quality pilots at all the Express carriers without them that would make good hires for mainline. I'm sure it will come.

Jimmy2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Jimmy2 »

Has anyone that got the 'good email' from AC also applied and received an interview offer from Jazz? I applied to Jazz also and can't even get an interview with them despite greatly exceeding their requirements. I wondered if HR from AC let Jazz HR know that they sent me notice of a potential phone interview.

BingBong
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by BingBong »

That would not happen nor would any of those individuals who make these decisions have the time to play that game. Two separate companies...two separate HR departments.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

Anyone getting a response from AC now that we're nearing the 9-10 month-ish mark?

Anybody get the feeling this may very well be extended until 2018?

S.

Jimmy2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Jimmy2 »

I'm kind of giving up on the 'good email' and am looking elsewhere. I've got a couple of 705 interviews coming up. One is a PML carrier and one is not. If I get pooled at both I'll have a tough decision to make since PML will ruin my OTS chance but no PML means no guarantee of an OTS interview. Does anyone know around how many years it's taking for people to go from the bottom of the PML list to the AC interview right now?

dashtrash1
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dashtrash1 »

I can only speak for Jazz, but it's kind of hard to say right now.

AC only renews the PML once per year, so if you miss out on the deadline you'll have to wait a year unless AC wants to renew it sooner.

Guys on PML V2.0 have started to get in person interviews (DOH from Jan 2015 to ~November 2015 from the sounds of it) this month.

Hope this helps a bit

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

Apparently Jan 2016 have been getting called for the online thing.

The PML is yearly as per the release, but it also says "as needed as per AC demand" so they can open it up anytime they are running short on candidates.

Jimmy2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Jimmy2 »

Thanks. Might as well just go to the PML carrier then if it's only a year to get an interview with AC. It might be that long for OTS anyways. Plus I'll be a stronger applicant with 705 experience.

skypirate88
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by skypirate88 »

Black_Tusk wrote:Apparently Jan 2016 have been getting called for the online thing.

The PML is yearly as per the release, but it also says "as needed as per AC demand" so they can open it up anytime they are running short on candidates.
They are at least into April 2016 DOH doing the video interview

A mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway can take you anywhere
Elessar_44
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Elessar_44 »

Jimmy2 wrote:Thanks. Might as well just go to the PML carrier then if it's only a year to get an interview with AC. It might be that long for OTS anyways. Plus I'll be a stronger applicant with 705 experience.
Well, this may be good news or more confusing news for you, but I also received the email last April stating "we would like to contact you within 12 months, etc etc", and last night before bed received this email from AC HR:

Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your recent application for the position of Pilot.

We are delighted to invite you to proceed to the next step in our process; an on-line video interview. To start your interview, Click Here.

The interview will be used to assess your competencies and your language proficiencies. We would ask that you answer the questions in the language that they are being asked.

We wish you well throughout your interview process with the Talent Acquisition team. Thank you for your recent application.

I have not yet done the interview or clicked the link, so I really don't know much more than that! But it was good to hear something from them. Very excited!

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by JBI »

Elessar_44 wrote:
Well, this may be good news or more confusing news for you, but I also received the email last April stating "we would like to contact you within 12 months, etc etc", and last night before bed received this email from AC HR:

Sir/Madam,

Thank you for your recent application for the position of Pilot.

We are delighted to invite you to proceed to the next step in our process; an on-line video interview. To start your interview, Click Here.

The interview will be used to assess your competencies and your language proficiencies. We would ask that you answer the questions in the language that they are being asked.

We wish you well throughout your interview process with the Talent Acquisition team. Thank you for your recent application.

I have not yet done the interview or clicked the link, so I really don't know much more than that! But it was good to hear something from them. Very excited!
Thanks for the information. Did you indicate that you were bilingual on the application? Just curious as to whether they are looking at bilingual candidates at first.

Topoff
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Topoff »

I've done the video interview. Standard pre screen type questions with some situational stuff about your experience. I'm not bilingual.

Lemon
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Lemon »

Do you know how long you have to complete the video interview once you get the email?

Elessar_44
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Elessar_44 »

JBI wrote:Thanks for the information. Did you indicate that you were bilingual on the application? Just curious as to whether they are looking at bilingual candidates at first.
Anglophile only here.
Topoff wrote:I've done the video interview. Standard pre screen type questions with some situational stuff about your experience. I'm not bilingual.
Was it just taped answers? The email made it seem like it wasn't directly with another person on the other end. Also just curious with approx. how long it took you? Want to budget enough time for it. Thanks Topoff!

infiniteregulus
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by infiniteregulus »

Interesting. I wonder if the video interview is only for OTS guys? I haven't heard of PML guys getting it.

dashtrash1
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dashtrash1 »

Yeah the PML guys are doing the video "interviews" as well.

Pretty straight forward...you answer prerecorded questions, the majority are yes and no, with a few situational questions at the end, took about 15 minutes.

Jimmy2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Jimmy2 »

Thank you Elessar_44. I guess this changes everything. Though I still plan to do my interviews. I've read of people being in the pool at Air Canada for 3+ years. Does anyone know if it's still that long of a wait to get a ground school if your interview is successful?

livinlife
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by livinlife »

The guys that were in the pool for 3+ years were guys who interviewed pre-fly past 60, pre-PML, all these things changed while these guys were after being interviewed and told, all was good stdby for course date. I don't think the plan was to ever hold guys for that long. If you have a shot at the online video interview, DO NOT apply to a feeder. You will end up in this exact same spot but only 3-4 years down the road, do the video, wear a shirt and tie and kill it.

While I get the reason to hire from the feeders( to get people to actually go to work at the feeders) I don't know how they plan on continuing this practice, almost every airline is planning lots of hiring the next few years, why would AC make it cost them overall twice as much??? (training for big red, and replace the guy they just took from Jazz, sky etc. )

Why not hire off the street wether it be from the smaller, Bearskin, Perimeter, PAL, Calm Air guys or directly from the competition? One shot training and also hitting the competition in the pocket?? I believe you will see this trend in the coming months. Thats just my opinion,I fly with guys all the time who are also wondering whats the best way to steer there kids to get on here, most are getting a minimum of a 3 year diploma, and aiming for a 705 seat as quickly as possible.

Good luck to all, its a great place to work!

Jimmy2
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Jimmy2 »

When do you actually join the PML system though? You can still apply, interview, and be pooled at a PML feeder without being part of the PML right? I would think you only join that list once you accept a ground school.

Return to “Air Canada”