The Air Canada OTS thread

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

your flight time ?

500+ PIC JET
4%
500+ PIC JET 2 CREW
10%
500+ PIC TURBOPROP 2 CREW
16%
1000+ F/O JET/TURBOPROP 2 CREW
17%
Total Time 1500/2000
5%
2000/3000
11%
3000/ More
37%

Total votes: 969

Air.Field
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: The Air Canada OTS thread

Post by Air.Field »

Jazz about 36k or so, with OT easily make mid 40s. Not counting per diems, because they don't count.
---------- ADS -----------

dtpilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dtpilot »

Yall could always go to Cathay... :twisted: 16,800cad/month starting. DEFO.

yvrflyguy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by yvrflyguy »

Has anyone who has interviewed recently got a call for a course?

PT6onH20
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by PT6onH20 »

Last edited by PT6onH20 on Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
garfield
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by garfield »

Sure, they will only hire from express... and express are gonna cancel more flights. Anyway AC doesn't care about express cancelling flights because it doesn't affect their operations...

Maybe more hire from express but I think it's still gonna be far from 80%.

You need a good carrot to interest people about express carriers with the kind of package they offer.

GATRKGA
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by GATRKGA »

SR. Captain. Degree. 7 Weeks Between Interview and PFO. Passed Medical. SR Called, Good Reference Given. WTF Flag Raised. Guess they do care about parking express planes? My email said my skills and qualifications were given full consideration, and that AC is not prepared to offer me employment at this time. My gut feeling tells me it's not my skills and qualifications, and that its something else? Business Decision? Not sure. Maybe someone can shed some light.

Oh well - they will lose guys from express one way or another.

confusedalot
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by confusedalot »

Sorry to hear that, and I am sure you are a perfectly good candidate, so don't take the turndown personally, which I know is hard to do. As objectively as I can state, I have heard of so many good and at times superb potentials being turned down over the decades that to my mind at least, appears to be an ongoing mystery. As you know, you will never know why, ''the board'' is a secretive place indeed.

For what it's worth, I don't think think that parking planes at the express carriers is a factor in the decision making. I don't know the express/mothercorp contract details, but I suspect that mothercorp foots the bill for pilot training in any case, among other things, so from a financial perspective it does not really matter.

Attempting to understand the world. I have not succeeded.

veni, vidi,...... vici non fecit.

:?
Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

Sounds like you feel you deserve the position which can come across badly in the interview.

yvrflyguy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by yvrflyguy »

Got the call this am for the April 23 Course....Interview was on March 14
Best of luck to all that go through the process!

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

garfield wrote: Mon Apr 02, 2018 2:36 pm Sure, they will only hire from express... and express are gonna cancel more flights. Anyway AC doesn't care about express cancelling flights because it doesn't affect their operations...
You do know that Express flights are AC passengers connecting to/from AC flights right

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Update for those wondering.
Very competitive joining right now for OTS.

Lots of OTS in most recent classes:
lots of military, westjet, transat, porter, encore, a few off overseas heavy jets, a couple off corporate jets, several from smaller 705 ops too -8/737/dornier.

All with diverse experience and backgrounds. None from commuter/air taxi/turboprop only ops.

Of the express new hires it looks like lots coming from training positions or deep backgrounds. Seems they like that...

The most recent position bid was shelved until June, but lots of hiring still to do. Good luck!

NotDirty!
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NotDirty! »

altiplano wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:16 am All with diverse experience and backgrounds. None from commuter/air taxi/turboprop only ops.
Not entirely true... there was ONE in the Feb 19th class.

dialdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by dialdriver »

Any guess on how long it can take to get a second interview after being PFO'd the first time?

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

NotDirty! wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:13 am Not entirely true... there was ONE in the Feb 19th class.
altiplano wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:16 am most recent

Noo
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Noo »

Interesting there is a large uptick in WestJet mainline joining AC. Encore too.

dtpilot
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dtpilot »

Anybody know if you selected the second option “working knowledge” for French if some of the video interview is in French?

NotDirty!
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NotDirty! »

dialdriver wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:15 am Any guess on how long it can take to get a second interview after being PFO'd the first time?
I would think that the biggest limiting factor is the opening of the application portal. They say you can reapply in 6 months, but if they don’t accept applications for another year and a half, then it will be at least that long.

I was PFO’d in 2012, didn’t reapply until 2016, and interviewed in early 2017, started PIT in Feb 2018.

Dry Guy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dry Guy »

The final PIT course before the summer break was scheduled for May 14th but it was said that would only be held "if required". So do you guys think that one will be required?

NotDirty!
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NotDirty! »

Dry Guy wrote: Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:55 am The final PIT course before the summer break was scheduled for May 14th but it was said that would only be held "if required". So do you guys think that one will be required?
The February bid showed 420 vacancies system wide. Between February and the end of April, they have hired about 150 pilots. So a May PIT could be considered “required”... however there are only so many sims and instructors, so they may decide that they don’t require the course, if they need to give the training department time to catch up.

pilotabc
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by pilotabc »

Late April course

Aviation diploma, 4K TT, Q driver. Calls have been going out this week and especially today with a few friends getting the call also. Good luck all!

Return to “Air Canada”