The Air Canada OTS thread

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

your flight time ?

500+ PIC JET
4%
500+ PIC JET 2 CREW
10%
500+ PIC TURBOPROP 2 CREW
16%
1000+ F/O JET/TURBOPROP 2 CREW
16%
Total Time 1500/2000
5%
2000/3000
11%
3000/ More
37%

Total votes: 974

dashtrash1
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: The Air Canada OTS thread

Post by dashtrash1 »

Elessar_44 wrote:July course rumour is true, I was offered a spot for July 17. Very excited! Unexpected too haha
Congrats! If you don't mind me asking, are you OTS or off a PML?
---------- ADS -----------

AllClutch
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by AllClutch »

Maple_30 wrote:
AllClutch wrote:~235 off the last equipment bid. Could be a few more depending on how they roll out the 737 FO spots
Wow! That would mean ~350 opened spots from now to the end of 2018?

A bid is a 12 month snapshot. 235 for next June.

arcadia
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by arcadia »

Allclutch,

Are you currently Mainline, or still Jazz?

Elessar_44
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Elessar_44 »

dashtrash1 wrote:
Elessar_44 wrote:July course rumour is true, I was offered a spot for July 17. Very excited! Unexpected too haha
Congrats! If you don't mind me asking, are you OTS or off a PML?
I am an OTS hire. I also interviewed back in 2011 and was turned down, so it goes to show you to never give up! :)

dannyjet
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dannyjet »

Quick question, all this movement going on is for those who managed to submit their online application when the vacancy was open in the careers section at AC's website several months ago if not last year, correct?

I've been checking it for the past few months and have yet to see open pilot vacancies. I fly abroad so sometimes I let a month or so go by without checking and it seems there is no option to be notified by email, unfortunately.

Along with my previous question, any idea when these will open again? Thank you.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

dannyjet wrote:Quick question, all this movement going on is for those who managed to submit their online application when the vacancy was open in the careers section at AC's website several months ago if not last year, correct?

I've been checking it for the past few months and have yet to see open pilot vacancies. I fly abroad so sometimes I let a month or so go by without checking and it seems there is no option to be notified by email, unfortunately.

Along with my previous question, any idea when these will open again? Thank you.
If I recall correctly, you can create an online profile and have the system notify you when the application window opens. Not sure though if that's still the case...

I heard they have had some new hire screenings coming through at the medical office... must be getting ready to ramp up courses again soon.

CAL
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CAL »

just following on that last post
is there any hiring going on?
Nothing is posted on the careers?
Does this mean they still hire quietly via internal references etc?
How important are the internal refs?
thanks!

infiniteregulus
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by infiniteregulus »

Quietly could be interchanged with PML

CAL
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CAL »

ah yes......

garfield
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by garfield »

I don't think internal references help in any ways, I know people who their parents where pilots at big red and it never helped at all. But references will help you big time at Transat and Sunwing.

PML should dry out anytime soon, when feeders are gonna start to park their planes.

Stan Darsh
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Stan Darsh »

That would be nice, but I've been holding my breath for the last 18 months...

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Internals can help to an extent but they are sensitive on nepotism and some guy walking his kid in like was the practise years ago...

There is an internal online reference system where current pilots can fill out a questionnaire on an applicant and make a recommend every couple years.

If you know well or worked with an AC pilot, you might want to look them up and see if it's something they would be willing to do for you... I would imagine you might want to also judge your friend well, it could be a double edge sword if they're a tool.

Cal,
They have a pool of OTS guys that interviewed earlier in the year. But based on future requirements, I would imagine you'll see the application window open and interviews start again in the fall.

tallyho
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by tallyho »

FYI, there are still people who applied in April 2016 that have yet to be interviewed. They're application is still valid, at least that's what the last email in April 2017 said. I have no idea how many people we are talking about though! There's me.....

CAL
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CAL »

yet another question....sorry if it is repetitive

I have had my information on file via the careers website for sometime but only have actually hit apply once.
In order to be consider for the next hiring window do you actually have to go onto the careers website and reapply to the new opening?

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

tallyho wrote:FYI, there are still people who applied in April 2016 that have yet to be interviewed. They're application is still valid, at least that's what the last email in April 2017 said. I have no idea how many people we are talking about though! There's me.....
And they may never get an interview... or at least not now.

Took me the better part of 10 years to get an interview from my initial application with AC.
CAL wrote:yet another question....sorry if it is repetitive

I have had my information on file via the careers website for sometime but only have actually hit apply once.
In order to be consider for the next hiring window do you actually have to go onto the careers website and reapply to the new opening?
I'm not sure Cal, and I don't want to give you the wrong info on that. I'd snoop around on the hiring site and on your profile to see if it's explicitly stated that you have an open application...

I remember being told years back not to update your profile too often only every 8 months to a year max... You don't want to come across OCD, but you do have to show consistent interest...

So in your case, you don't want to over apply, but you don't want to miss out either.

CAL
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by CAL »

thanks again for the info!

dannyjet
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dannyjet »

Thank you altiplano, you've answered my questions more than once, I appreciate it. Just as CAL I'll keep a look every now and then, specially the upcoming months, to see if that PML actually has dried out and the vacancy opens.

CZBBYYZPilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by CZBBYYZPilot »

Every year Air Canada is supposed to go to the express carriers and ask for a new list. So when one list is exhausted, the process starts again. There's lots of pilots at Express waiting to get on the list for the first time. So I'm not sure this idea of the list being dried up is entirely accurate. That being said, I'm sure they will continue to need good OTS candidates.

infiniteregulus
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by infiniteregulus »

There's also still tons of guys who've yet to be interviewed let alone the guys that went through the process, hired, and still waiting for a course date.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

infiniteregulus wrote:There's also still tons of guys who've yet to be interviewed let alone the guys that went through the process, hired, and still waiting for a course date.
Nobody who has been "hired" is still waiting for a course date.
CZBBYYZPilot wrote:Every year Air Canada is supposed to go to the express carriers and ask for a new list. So when one list is exhausted, the process starts again. There's lots of pilots at Express waiting to get on the list for the first time. So I'm not sure this idea of the list being dried up is entirely accurate. That being said, I'm sure they will continue to need good OTS candidates.
Air Canada is not "supposed" to do anything. They do what they do and it may change at any time. That is a constant.

Return to “Air Canada”