The Air Canada OTS thread

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

your flight time ?

500+ PIC JET
4%
500+ PIC JET 2 CREW
10%
500+ PIC TURBOPROP 2 CREW
16%
1000+ F/O JET/TURBOPROP 2 CREW
16%
Total Time 1500/2000
5%
2000/3000
11%
3000/ More
37%

Total votes: 971

Gonzodriver
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: The Air Canada OTS thread

Post by Gonzodriver »

A guy i work with had the in person interview/medical mid April. He got a call a few weeks ago offering him a job and was told to plan for a fall course.
---------- ADS -----------

JLA
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by JLA »

Have the calls gone out for June 18th? Heard the gs date wasn't a 100% guarantee..

landsky
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by landsky »

JLA wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 9:20 am Have the calls gone out for June 18th? Heard the gs date wasn't a 100% guarantee..
I know of some OTS candidates that were called last week for the June 18th PIT course.

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

Gonzodriver wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:05 am A guy i work with had the in person interview/medical mid April. He got a call a few weeks ago offering him a job and was told to plan for a fall course.
That seems strange they would offer him a job without a start date.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Victory wrote: Mon Jun 04, 2018 12:19 pm
Gonzodriver wrote: Fri Jun 01, 2018 6:05 am A guy i work with had the in person interview/medical mid April. He got a call a few weeks ago offering him a job and was told to plan for a fall course.
That seems strange they would offer him a job without a start date.
I agree.

I think they wanted to get away from that 'pool' type situation where offers/promises were made and then the PML started.

They were likely getting back to him after the interview as they promised, and don't have anything now so told him, standby, courses resume in the fall... We'll let you know when we're ready. I agree, promising, he's likely going to get hired, but it's not an offer until you have a date... economy could shit, a world war could start, who knows...

fruitloops
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fruitloops »

some info as to who's getting hired....

small sample batch last May GS
12 new hires
-7 with degrees or at least college aviation diploma/degree
-1 OTS
-11 Express
The 5 without degrees came from Express and had Captain positions

last Apr GS
- i didn't go through everyone but here's the breakdown of the ones i did go through
Out of 19 new hires I looked through (more than that hired in this group as mentioned)
- 15 had degrees or at least college aviation diploma/degree - those that did not had excellent experience & plenty of hrs
- 11 OTS hires (westjet,porter,sunwing,cathay,air north,perimeter,etc)
- 3 ex-military
- 5 express pilots

matc
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by matc »

Wow I'm really surprised most hires have college degrees now...I don't get it. If I had a degree in engineering I sure would be working in that field ! Well I had to choose between paying for my flying lessons or going to college, couldn't do both

Duke15
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Duke15 »

The late april GS, was almost all OTS. Only 3 jazz, 3-4 sky, 1 GGN, out of 37. I believe 10 from encore, 5-6 porter, a few SWG, and forget the others.(I was in it) Only have college diploma and 5500hrs, a lot of it is pic on multi twin turboprop if that helps.

JLA
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by JLA »

Just got the e-mail stating my file was on hold for 12 months. Looks like a pool e-mail to me. Went through the whole process, including medical more than a month ago. Anyone got this before? And what should be expected? Never heard of such an answer before. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

JLA wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:48 am Just got the e-mail stating my file was on hold for 12 months. Looks like a pool e-mail to me. Went through the whole process, including medical more than a month ago. Anyone got this before? And what should be expected? Never heard of such an answer before. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.
I guess their express list is finally starting to make traction as well as the training 'dog days of summer' kick in.

Don't fret, just hang tight. Where are you coming from by the way?

S.

nottellin
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by nottellin »

I got the we are unable to offer employment at this time. Welcome to reapply in 6 months about a month after interview. I am ots. Seems like the 12 month email is better then the one I got. JLA are you with an express carrier? Wonder if that has anything to do with different emails. I did medical and interview over a month ago.

dhc#
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by dhc# »

Me thinks the AC hiring party is over for now... look how Jazz is overstaffed and offering LOA's...its just like a train derailment....

Sharklasers
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Sharklasers »

deleted

Last edited by Sharklasers on Thu Feb 07, 2019 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boomer74
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by Boomer74 »

Hey everyone,
I don't post here very often, but I went through the interview process about 2 months ago. After I did my medical, the HR lady said if I had any questions to email or call her. Well, I received the same letter about a month ago stating that hiring had stopped for the summer and would resume in the fall and to feel free to reapply if I don't hear anything for 12 months. As I had one job offer already from another company, I wanted to know what this letter meant to make an informed decision, so I called up the HR lady. She was very helpful and what I took from the conversation is that they were going to take a brake on courses for the summer and resume in the fall. Instead of making everybody wait, this email was sent. Further, when courses start in the fall, I got the impression there will be quite a few courses until next spring. I hope this helps!

FighterPilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by FighterPilot »

I know first hand that OTS pilots have been interviewing the last few days. The Jazz slowdown has nothing to do with AC and are not interconnected as flow is not 100%.

iflyroads
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by iflyroads »

Atleast 200 plus pilots need to be hired in the fall.

June 18th gs took some exp and some OTS. Jet time was an asset for the upcoming GS. It will likely be the only GS for the summer.

Every year AC slows down hiring for the summer. This year isn't an exception. Good luck to all who applied :)

JoeyBarton
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by JoeyBarton »

iflyroads wrote: Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:16 am Atleast 200 plus pilots need to be hired in the fall.

June 18th gs took some exp and some OTS. Jet time was an asset for the upcoming GS. It will likely be the only GS for the summer.

Every year AC slows down hiring for the summer. This year isn't an exception. Good luck to all who applied :)
[/quo

JLA
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by JLA »

Is it true that issuing conditionnal offers is no longer a thing, but that the company instead sends a 12 month e-mail?

GATRKGA
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by GATRKGA »

nottellin wrote: Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:28 pm I got the we are unable to offer employment at this time. Welcome to reapply in 6 months about a month after interview. I am ots. Seems like the 12 month email is better then the one I got. JLA are you with an express carrier? Wonder if that has anything to do with different emails. I did medical and interview over a month ago.
The last round of express PFO's didn't include "please reapply in 6 months" in the language. Did yours actually say reapply in 6 months? Because Sky Regional management is communicating to the pilot group that there is only ONE letter that is sent in the event of a PFO. Can you clarify?

Cheers!

yvrflyguy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by yvrflyguy »

Another PIT course announced for Aug 13

Return to “Air Canada”