Dress Code

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

FADEC
Rank 3
Rank 3

Dress Code

Post by FADEC »

The Social Media Storm over United's "Passholder Dress Policy" provides an opportunity for Air Canada to jump ahead and stop treating Passholders like children.
If clothing is acceptable for the paying public, it should be acceptable for Passholders.
I am the first to agree that some people dress in poor taste, but if they want to look tacky, that is their problem.
AC needs to recognise reality and move into this century.
There are far more important issues than clothing.
---------- ADS -----------

JBI
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Dress Code

Post by JBI »

I respectfully disagree. While I think that it is ridiculous that United was judging what kids were wearing (it should be age 16 and above or something similar), the fact is that the travelling public very much judges professionalism based on appearance. Should they? Probably not - but appearance is important. Therefore, if Air Canada or any other airline for that matter is allowing employees to travel on significantly reduced rates, they should be required, within reason, to dress in a matter that provides an appearance of professionalism.

I definitely do see the other side though - no one dresses up to go travelling anymore. If Susy Q public is allowed to wear ripped jeggings, why shouldn't we? (though you really don't want to see me in ripped jeggings :lol: )

atphat
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by atphat »

I have travelled many times as a con. Not once has another passenger known I was an employee. How would they? Still. Rules are rules so I look the part.

MrAviator19
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by MrAviator19 »

I'm an AC employee and I follow the dress code, so does every other employee that I know or have known. AC has had this policy for a while now. Have even heard of friends of employees denied boarding for so much as wearing a hat (flying back from the Calgary stampede) while the rest of the dress code looked just fine. Sometimes it just depends on the gate agent. I know YUL agents are notorious for calling you out if the dress code is not what they have in mind. Just play it safe and adhere to the rules. I usually go business casual with a nice pair of shoes and never had any issues. :smt023

On the flip side, revenue passengers should have some sort of rules to adhere to as well in my opinion. These days people get on an aircraft with just about anything on. Pardon me for being sexist but don't want to see, or worse sit next to, a sweaty hairy fella in a tank top. :smt009

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

As a fare paying pax my observations are most people who fly are reasonably attired. Yes, you see the odd one(mostly, if not all, male) who stand out in some way. From my personal prospective, I travel in my oldest clean jeans and shirt as there is no way I shall wear anything new/good in and around airports/airplanes for many reasons. Interesting when I was at NC, managers who travelled were told attire should reflect their professionalism especially on NC business.

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

A polo shirt, a nice pair of dark jeans and clean causal dress shoes fit the profile.

Now, if they allowed chino/golf shorts or something that would be nice. So I don't have to wear pants in the middle of summer. But I don't see that happening any time soon.

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

Sorry, regarding AC dress code there are special provisions for children, can't remember exactly but regardless of age, it is the parents(pass holders) responsibility how your kids dress. Also, there would be no upgrade if not in business casual clothing so I always made sure the whole family was dressed the part.
It's policy, so follow it, really quite simple!

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

If you're travelling on company discounted fares, it's the least you can do to look semi-professional.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

I absolutely support the dress code for cons.

I wish it applied to John Q. Public as well... if you want to travel in your pajamas or gym clothes take a fucking Greyhound.

There's a reason the golden age of flying is looked upon so fondly by most.

Young children do get some slack, but by the time you're a teen you should have the right stuff to put yourself together...

mato
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by mato »

I agree with having a dress code. How you dress shows the respect you have for those around you. As an employee, have a little respect for the opportunity and the staff involved that get you on your way. As for paying passengers, well most of the disrespectful ones take Westjet so I could care less about the pajama party they host.

Edit typos

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

While were on the topic, people really need to keep their shoes on. I'll just leave it at that.

fruitloops
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by fruitloops »

My last flight on AC I was given an available business class seat - i don't know if it's because I was wearing a suit jacket or seniority but there's another reason for a dress code!!

Aviatard
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Aviatard »

FADEC wrote: There are far more important issues than clothing.
And yet here you are posting about it.

Donald
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Donald »

Looks like good ol Gabor Lukacs has joined the fight, what a tool!!

Redwine
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Redwine »

atphat wrote:I have travelled many times as a con. Not once has another passenger known I was an employee. How would they? Still. Rules are rules so I look the part.
In the 80's & 90's you could always spot the cons-They were the ones in the last row wearing suits and ties.

...Seems they are going to remove the axe and the control column from the cockpits for security reasons.
atphat
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by atphat »

Redwine wrote:
atphat wrote:I have travelled many times as a con. Not once has another passenger known I was an employee. How would they? Still. Rules are rules so I look the part.
In the 80's & 90's you could always spot the cons-They were the ones in the last row wearing suits and ties.
Sounds like it's better to be a con nowendays.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

I thought "cons" wore orange jump suits and picked up garbage at the side of the highway?

mantogasrsrwy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mantogasrsrwy »

mato wrote:I agree with having a dress code. How you dress shows the respect you have for those around you. As an employee, have a little respect for the opportunity and the staff involved that get you on your way. As for paying passengers, well most of the disrespectful ones take Westjet so I could care less about the pajama party they host.

Edit typos
I bet a swelled head like yourself is a real treat to fly with too.

duranium
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by duranium »

mantogasrsrwy wrote:
mato wrote:I agree with having a dress code. How you dress shows the respect you have for those around you. As an employee, have a little respect for the opportunity and the staff involved that get you on your way.

Edit typos
Part of your post is right on, mato,

mato
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by mato »

mantogasrsrwy wrote:
mato wrote:I agree with having a dress code. How you dress shows the respect you have for those around you. As an employee, have a little respect for the opportunity and the staff involved that get you on your way. As for paying passengers, well most of the disrespectful ones take Westjet so I could care less about the pajama party they host.

Edit typos
Only until the other pilot shows up in leggings then I start my dress code lecture... Unless they are the see through type from Lululemon: I just be sure to be the second one in to the flight deck!

You know I have given this some thought now and I take it all back. Forget the dress code, let people express their true inner self!

Return to “Air Canada”