Westjet. The new PML to Air Canada!

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Westjet. The new PML to Air Canada!

Post by altiplano »

No. They rouge the express flights...

That's the latest and greatest...
---------- ADS -----------

infiniteregulus
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by infiniteregulus »

I agree it's in EVERYBODY's best interest for AC to take the majority of their new hires from Express. However, it stands to reason that scalping Express to the point they can't staff their flights anymore is non-sustainable and unprofitable. I don't think AC has implemented the process in a smart manner as there's obvious flaws in it all. However, I believe we should all call a spade a spade here and the PML is NOT FLOW. I don't know why guys are getting angry at that. Really they should be calling it the GIL (Guaranteed Interview List). Now if management is indeed promoting the PML in terms of it being flow, that's them being wrongful and manipulative. I can't speak on their behalf but I find that very deceitful. In the end, life in business isn't about what one deserves, but what makes the most money. You could be the best employee on the planet, but if picking you hurts the process of making money, you will get thrown under the bus every time. Sorry, but life isn't fair with rainbows and lollypops. Entitlement is a very unhealthy view and should never be justified. Entitlement happens to be the next big issue in the upcoming generation. All I can say is hopefully AC realizes the mistake they've made in their implementation of this PML, and correct it with a better established arrangement.

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

Yeah like just doing all the regional flying themselves again.

RVR6000
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RVR6000 »

yyctwin wrote:
infiniteregulus wrote:Guaranteed interview, not guaranteed job or flow. Nobody at express is owed anything by AC other than that. Yes it would make sense for AC to take them as they're already in the system and flying their passengers, but by the wording of the agreement, an "interview" is all that is given and expected. If you get hired, great! If not, it's not Air Canada's fault or obligation. They're interested in fulfilling their own business agenda, not an express pilot's. The driving discontent is the fact that PML does NOT equal flow, and at its core, that is the fundamental principle and should not be confused. No preferential treatment, no bypassing anyone...you get an interview. After that, you're in the standing like everyone else. The entitlement these days is audacious!

At the end of their day they have earned the right to feel entitlement to a brighter future and if the future generations who have a goal of flying for one of the 2 Canadian Majors realize Encore if the better route cause their guaranteed 1 if the other doesn't work out. Guess what happens when the applicants dry up at the regionals Air Canada flights get cancelled, Air Canada passengers get screwed, Air Canada tickets stop being purchased and Air Canada astronauts sitting in their space shuttles become affected.
I think Air Canada reserves the rights to pick and choose individuals who they see fit for their organization. They have let go of a few new PML individuals and reinstated the psych and personality test specifially for this reason, people with entitlement issues and bad attitudes. Just because you flew their passengers doesn’t make you automatically qualified. With that logic EVAS, Georgian, Sky Regional heck even Wasaya Pilots (under the Jazz agreement) should all just walk in, screw the interview even.

Ex DC10 Driver
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ex DC10 Driver »

Does anyone know the numbers for today's class? From WestJet/Encore or Jazz etc?

TheStig
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by TheStig »

Ex DC10 Driver wrote:Does anyone know the numbers for today's class? From WestJet/Encore or Jazz etc?
The class starts Oct 2nd.

Ex DC10 Driver
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ex DC10 Driver »

Thx.

co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

TheStig wrote:
Ex DC10 Driver wrote:Does anyone know the numbers for today's class? From WestJet/Encore or Jazz etc?
How about now?

PositiveRate27
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by PositiveRate27 »

co-joe wrote:
TheStig wrote:
How about now?
Lost of express on this one. 4 jazz 1.0, 1 GGN, 1 Sky, 10 Jazz 2.0. The rest are OTS. At least one from CMA. Not sure about the rest.

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

LuckyPilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by LuckyPilot »

In the last course of October, they have 5 former WestJetters. On a side note, and I'm not trying to stir the pot here, apparently their is over 200 resumes on file from WJ pilots. At 4 to 5 pilots on every course coming from WJ, this must be creating some crewing issues at WJ.

Dockjock
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Dockjock »

This is what drives up the wages of pilots- demand! If WJ can't keep pilots, they will need to pay more. Which raises the bar for everyone, and hopefully creates a virtuous circle. Imagine, if the 2nd best employer in the country (WJ) can't keep pilots, how everyone else is faring? And by that I mean the ULCCs who seem to think they will be able to attract anyone at all for the wages they imagine paying. LOL

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Dockjock wrote:This is what drives up the wages of pilots- demand! If WJ can't keep pilots, they will need to pay more. Which raises the bar for everyone, and hopefully creates a virtuous circle. Imagine, if the 2nd best employer in the country (WJ) can't keep pilots, how everyone else is faring? And by that I mean the ULCCs who seem to think they will be able to attract anyone at all for the wages they imagine paying. LOL
The WJ problem is demographics. Relatively young average age for CA at WJ resulting in low left seat attrition forecast. On the other hand, AC has a predictable and immminent retirement wave and associated upgrade opportunities. Combine that with the fact that AC has a massive WB fleet and network and the reality is that AC offers a career opportunity that WJ does not. The result is that some WJ pilots see their time at WJ as just a stepping stone.

Checklist
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Checklist »

rudder wrote:
Dockjock wrote:This is what drives up the wages of pilots- demand! If WJ can't keep pilots, they will need to pay more. Which raises the bar for everyone, and hopefully creates a virtuous circle. Imagine, if the 2nd best employer in the country (WJ) can't keep pilots, how everyone else is faring? And by that I mean the ULCCs who seem to think they will be able to attract anyone at all for the wages they imagine paying. LOL
The WJ problem is demographics. Relatively young average age for CA at WJ resulting in low left seat attrition forecast. On the other hand, AC has a predictable and immminent retirement wave and associated upgrade opportunities. Combine that with the fact that AC has a massive WB fleet and network and the reality is that AC offers a career opportunity that WJ does not. The result is that some WJ pilots see their time at WJ as just a stepping stone.

Not to mention the 300+ encore guys already ahead of you....

Dockjock
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Dockjock »

Fact is, the problem is there. WJ can hire and train people who stay there for a couple years and be happy with that (possible), or do something about it. I wonder what year their retirements start to pick up? 10 yrs from now? 15?

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

Checklist wrote:

Oh I’m sure they were told when they were hired “ oh by the way you’ll be paid more than 300 pilots already hired and ahead of you in seniority”

Checklist
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Checklist »

av8ts wrote:
Checklist wrote:

Oh I’m sure they were told when they were hired “ oh by the way you’ll be paid more than 300 pilots already hired and ahead of you in seniority”

I doubt they had to tell pilots interviewing at a different company, that they’d be paid differently, than pilots at a different company.

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

Checklist wrote:
av8ts wrote:
Checklist wrote:

I doubt they had to tell pilots interviewing at a different company, that they’d be paid differently, than pilots at a different company.
Different company, right

bearinmind
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bearinmind »

I say we hire every wje/wja pilot that has applied right now even if they are not on course for 6 months. Payback for the years they robbed our regionals.

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

bearinmind wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:58 am I say we hire every wje/wja pilot that has applied right now even if they are not on course for 6 months. Payback for the years they robbed our regionals.
They have their payback for robbing the regionals, ALPA!

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"

Return to “Air Canada”