Air Canada Medical

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

flyhigh008
Rank 1
Rank 1

Air Canada Medical

Post by flyhigh008 »

Hey All,

Just a question regarding the medical at AC. Im aware that AC have their own medical examiner other than the one we usually go to for our yearly checks. I have flown thousands of hours with no issues and I am wondering since I was diagnosed with slight color blindness but passed all secondary checks by my CAME will the AC doctor do their own checks or will a letter or results from my CAME be good enough? I have a Cat 1 with no restrictions and have 20/20 vision. Just a little worried because I will have my AC medical coming up soon and I am a bit worried about this since I have applied at AC as well.

Thanks.
---------- ADS -----------

Sage
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: Air Canada Medical

Post by Sage »

Bring your letter with you, it won't be an issue. If I remember correctly, they had me place colours in order of lightest to darkest shade in place of the Ishihara plates. Its been a while so I don't remember the name do the test.

Scope. Not just a mouthwash.
7ECA
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by 7ECA »

Farnsworth D-15.

flyhigh008
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by flyhigh008 »

Sage wrote:Bring your letter with you, it won't be an issue. If I remember correctly, they had me place colours in order of lightest to darkest shade in place of the Ishihara plates. Its been a while so I don't remember the name do the test.

Thanks! I actually ended up doing the lantern test and I have the results for that. Hopefully they will accept that!

Sage
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Sage »

flyhigh008 wrote:
Sage wrote:Bring your letter with you, it won't be an issue. If I remember correctly, they had me place colours in order of lightest to darkest shade in place of the Ishihara plates. Its been a while so I don't remember the name do the test.

Thanks! I actually ended up doing the lantern test and I have the results for that. Hopefully they will accept that!
Sorry, to be clear, I did the lantern test for TC and had the letter. AC medical will still have you do a colour test. They tried me on the Ishihara plates and I told them I cant see most of them. Then they tried me on the Farnsworth (thanks 7ECA).

Scope. Not just a mouthwash.
SpdLvlChgClb
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by SpdLvlChgClb »

My interview and medical are scheduled for end of November. I am over 40 and my last medical exam was done in March 2017, so is another medical exam required prior to the AC interview and medical?

Lemon
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Lemon »

They don’t renew your cat 1. Although it covers everything in the cat 1 and then some, it’s just a premployment medical. Your medical must be valid when you go.

indieadventurer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by indieadventurer »

Do they do an echocardiogram in the preemployment medical?

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

indieadventurer wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:54 am Do they do an echocardiogram in the preemployment medical?
Yes

indieadventurer
Rank 5
Rank 5

rudder wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:14 am
indieadventurer wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:54 am Do they do an echocardiogram in the preemployment medical?
Yes
Sorry just to be clear, that's an echo and an electro they do? Echo being the one where they use sound waves, basically ultrasound the heart.

Last edited by indieadventurer on Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
AOW
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by AOW »

indieadventurer wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:24 am
Yes
Sorry just to be clear, that's an echo and and electro they do? Echo being the one where they use sound waves, basically ultrasound the heart.
I believe they just do an ECG, not an echo.

Ironman2909
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Ironman2909 »

Yes they do! The pre-employment medical is like a long CAT 1 medical plus a drug test.

indieadventurer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Ironman2909 wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:43 am Yes they do! The pre-employment medical is like a long CAT 1 medical plus a drug test.
An echo is not part of a CAT 1 medical though so sounds like no, it's not part of it.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

indieadventurer wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:24 am
Yes
Sorry just to be clear, that's an echo and an electro they do? Echo being the one where they use sound waves, basically ultrasound the heart.
Sorry. ECG. Wires and stuff. No imaging.

seniorpumpkin
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by seniorpumpkin »

Just did the pre-employment medical.
It's pretty standard actually. I had a restriction to wear glasses but the AC eye test device decided that I had 20/20 without glasses. So I wouldn't say it's more restrictive than most civil aviation medicals.
I actually asked the doc a few questions about the process, he said that 99% of people pass so that's something.
If you have no trouble renewing your Cat 1 you should have no trouble.

Flying airplanes is easy, you just need to PAY ATTENTION. Finding a good job on the other hand takes experience, practice, and some serious talent.
backb0ne787
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by backb0ne787 »

Does anyone know what makes one fail an AC Pilot Medical? Besides cancer, HIV, and other life ending diseases?

For example, you can be type 2 diabetic and hold a CAT1, you could have super high cholesterol and hold a CAT1, would AC disqualify you if your sugars were higher than normal or you had high cholesterole? Where do they draw the line on the blood work?

Thanks!

canadadry
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by canadadry »

Hello,

Does anyone know what is the age limit to apply to AC, if there is any or is it just based on a valid medical ?

Thanks.

pigboat
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by pigboat »

There is no age limit. That would be age discrimination! The days of get hired by age 28 or never are long gone.

Be aware that on an AC medical they will be checking for illegal substances and if they find them they will inform the MOT as required by law. A word to the wise.

GATRKGA
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by GATRKGA »

I went through the AC medical recently. Here's exactly the order of things that went down.

1. Show up to medical office with aviation license. They took a photocopy of it.
2. Fill out questionnaire about medical history. A lot of questions regarding sound exposure and whether your present job has you wear protective hearing equipment. Lots of questions about cancer, hepatitis, diabetes in family.
3. Wait 10 minutes.
4. Vision test, look into a binocular type machine, and read smallest line you can with left, right, and both eyes. Color Blindness Test After That.
5. EKG, Blood work - they took 3 vials from me.
6. Urine Test
7. Height and Weight
8. Wait for Doctor.
9. Doctor comes in, goes through questionnaire with you. Asks you "How would you describe yourself?"
10. Does 3 Blood Pressure readings on same arm. Asks you to go to your happy place. Takes the Average of the 3 readings. Checks Ears, Eyes. Has you pop shirt so she can check liver, kidney, and spleen.
11. Gives you measuring tape, to measure your waist. Anything above 102cm gets one flag. If you get more than 3 flags, you get sent for additional screening. Combo of +102cm, high bp, and say sugar issue would be 3 flags and additional testing needed to give you an idea. At least that's how the doctor explained it. One or two flags? You passed.
12. I didn't get fingered. I'm 32 and a male.

bimbambym
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by bimbambym »

i have a medical exam scheduled and i’ve seen online that they do a vision test... the problem is that my eye sight has worsen a lot and my glasses are really not up to date but i cant get new glasses by the time i have the medical test bc all the optometrist i’ve contacted are booked... Do you guys think i’m gonna be okay? Or because of this and since i wont be able to pass the vision test they wont consider me and wont hire me?

Return to “Air Canada”