Possible CSeries routes?

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Jack02
Rank 0
Rank 0

Possible CSeries routes?

Post by Jack02 »

Hello all,
I have been looking into the Air Canada-Bombardier CSeries deal recently and I am wondering what routes will these planes be used on? I know that they are replacing the e190 but the I have been hearing that now they are being considered for Trans-Atlantic routes thanks to the 3300 nautical mile range. What routes will the CS300s fly for AC? We are already seeing the 737 fleet beginning on routes to Ireland so will the CSeries be used for routes from eastern Canada to Europe like these Boeing planes?

Thanks in advance for the responses!
Jack.
---------- ADS -----------

aV1aTOr
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Possible CSeries routes?

Post by aV1aTOr »

Unlikely they would be deployed overseas, since as you state they are earmarked for E190/A319 replacement. Also there has been no mention of the CS300 receiving ETOPS certification with AC. There are many long thin routes within North America that the CS300 will fit into nicely, and once the 190/319 fleets retire the lowest remaining mainline seat count will be 146 on the remaining A320s. That's quite a gap from the max 76 seats allowed on Express jet aircraft. Expect the CS300 to fill this seat gap domestically.
In reality, you can bet that even AC route planners don't know where the airplanes will fly yet. These things are decided more like 8 months out, not 2+ years.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

The CS300 is not earmarked for 319 replacement. That is the 737 MAX. 8 319’s being removed from mainline in 2018 with 16 737’s being added.

The first 25 CS300’s are earmarked for E190 replacements. It will be interesting in 2020 to see if AC actually parks/sells/leases away the 190’s or keeps them in service.

YYZSaabGuy
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by YYZSaabGuy »

rudder wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 1:31 pm It will be interesting in 2020 to see if AC actually parks/sells/leases away the 190’s or keeps them in service.
Now that's interesting: I don't recall previously seeing any speculation about potentially retaining the Embraers. Genuinely interested: can you foresee any particular areas in AC's route structure where that option might make sense?

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

My "gut feeling" about the CS is it wont really have a place at AC. My first bet is that these aircraft are leased to another airline outside of canada. So much can happen between now and the end of 2019!

Here are the odds I give:

1) Lease to another carrier outside the AC network (39%)
2) Operate at Mainline (28%)
3) Operate at Express (17%)
4) Cancel order (15%)

and 1% to unicorns :rolleyes:

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

montado wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:46 pm My "gut feeling" about the CS is it wont really have a place at AC. My first bet is that these aircraft are leased to another airline outside of canada. So much can happen between now and the end of 2019!

4) Cancel order (15%)

AC will fly them. They can’t afford not to.

Cost of ownership/cost of operating will be so low on a CASM basis that even the inefficiency of an additional equipment type is not going to be consequential.

AC will however have to make decisions about the role of the CS300’s - mainline/RRA/Rouge.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Absolutely AC will fly the CS300s. They will be assigned across the domestic and transborder network.

The corporation will also be keeping 319s previously planned to exit the fleet next year, even as a slew of max 8s start to roll in. These 319s will be assigned to routes being upgauged from CPA carriers under the B-scale RRA concession from the last contract.

Sharklasers
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Sharklasers »

montado wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:46 pm My "gut feeling" about the CS is it wont really have a place at AC. My first bet is that these aircraft are leased to another airline outside of canada. So much can happen between now and the end of 2019!

4) Cancel order (15%)

Those aircraft with Air Canada Express painted on the side would represent a complete and utter breakdown in the scope protection afforded by the ACPA contract, it would never get past the membership, we would impeach the MeC long before it got to that. There is nothing that the company could pay or do to intice that major concession because once that horse is out of the barn it ain't going back in. Further to that we would be the first North American carrier to allow such a transgression and it would weaken the entire industry.

If we wouldn't let the old EMB go to express why would we give up the CS300?

pilotbzh
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by pilotbzh »

Now 6 E190 leaving early next spring 6 319 staying and not being replaced by 737......

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

altiplano wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:40 pm Absolutely AC will fly the CS300s. They will be assigned across the domestic and transborder network.

The corporation will also be keeping 319s previously planned to exit the fleet next year, even as a slew of max 8s start to roll in. These 319s will be assigned to routes being upgauged from CPA carriers under the B-scale RRA concession from the last contract.
Are RRA aircraft LCC positions or mainline positions in the bid?

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

pilotbzh wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 6:53 am Now 6 E190 leaving early next spring 6 319 staying and not being replaced by 737......
Just interim capacity management. The end result will look the same.

My guess.

A mixed 737/320 fleet at mainline. My rational is the Max-9 doesn’t have the range/economics. Notice Air Canada has been switching -9 ‘s to -8’s. They still need something larger in the NB category and Boeing doesn’t have a viable product. 190 phased out.

Cseries to Rouge replacing the 319 on vacation routes and regional upguage/ compete with low cost entrants.

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

rudder wrote: Mon Dec 04, 2017 9:13 am
altiplano wrote: Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:40 pm Absolutely AC will fly the CS300s. They will be assigned across the domestic and transborder network.

Are RRA aircraft LCC positions or mainline positions in the bid?
It’s Rouge

TheStig
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by TheStig »

AC pilots were recently informed of some changes in the fleet plan and told they were to be kept internal...

Some routes which have been operated by express are being up gauged to mainline. No mention of regional route replacement was made and there have been no positions posted for regional replacement aircraft. There is a bid due out tomorrow, so I reserve the right to be corrected.

However, there have been no communications made about how RRA will be incorporated into the operation. Anybody who tells you how they will be implemented is just giving you their best guess based on their interpretation of the language.

As mentioned, 6 EMJ’s are leaving and 6 A319’s which had previously been shown in the financial reports to be leaving the fleet have had their leases renewed. As the EMJ was excluded from the rouge growth/shrink ratio...the new 737’s combined with the renewed A319’s allow Rouge to grow within the scope language to operate the YYZ-YCD & YYZ-YKA routes announced this week.

Gino Under
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Gino Under »

I can see AC reclaiming a number of regional routes with the CS300 due to the CS300 economics. The ‘express’ brand is likely to shrink considerably in the not to distant future.
ETOPS cert is nigh. AC will likely have 120 minutes out of the box.

Gino

"I'll tell you what's wrong with society. No one drinks from the skulls of their enemies!"
brooks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by brooks »

Will they get rid of all the EMB Jets when the C-series arrives?

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

EMJs are planned to be gone by 2021 I believe... but we've have seen a lot of changes in the fleet plan.

No doubt it will also depend on timely BBD CS delivery schedules, and (the big one) a place for the 190s to go - they are all owned with an average age of only 10 years. The company would like them to go to Sky Regional.

I'm sure 2020 will bring ACPA selling the scope on the 190, and WB LCC growth for some short term bobble or trinket in our contract.

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

Or ALPA

RVR6000
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by RVR6000 »

Negots in 2014 and the re-opener in 2017 there is a pretty hardline on the 76 seat scope. It ain’t for sale.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

RVR6000 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:51 am Negots in 2014 and the re-opener in 2017 there is a pretty hardline on the 76 seat scope. It ain’t for sale.
I know that's what they say. But they will be under pressure to bring something and since they say that they have no leverage... something will be sold off...

atphat
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by atphat »

altiplano wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 6:00 am
RVR6000 wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2018 5:51 am Negots in 2014 and the re-opener in 2017 there is a pretty hardline on the 76 seat scope. It ain’t for sale.
I know that's what they say. But they will be under pressure to bring something and since they say that they have no leverage... something will be sold off...
Sigh. I wish I could say scope is never for sale. I hope you're wrong.

Return to “Air Canada”