Commuting YYJ to YVR

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

98 Corolla
Rank 2
Rank 2

Commuting YYJ to YVR

Post by 98 Corolla »

Does anyone at AC do this commute? I'm wondering how it actually works and how much stress is involved. There seems to be many options for flights both from the airport and the seaplane base. I imagine the widebody positions would be ideal but would it also be feasible for other positions? Is a "crash pad" in YVR a requirement for this? Thanks.
---------- ADS -----------

bcflyer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Commuting YYJ to YVR

Post by bcflyer »

Did it for years. Now doing it from farther up the island. A few things to keep in mind. There are ALOT of commuters from YYJ. A lot of those are senior Jazz pilots and F/A’s who will get the J/S before you. Having said that there are a lot of options depending on where you live. Pasco and Encore run YYJ/YVR. Harbour Air offers almost hourly service harbour to harbour as well as to the river (YVR) (daylight hours only) Helijet offers flights as well and of course there is always the big steel boat.
Your stress level will depend on you. Some find it just fine, others are stressed all the time. Find your comfort level and go from there.

If I could give one suggestion it would be to be friendly and nice to ALL the agents. (From ALL. airlines) They can make or break your commute. You’ll always get better results being friendly. 😊

Last edited by bcflyer on Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
98 Corolla
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 98 Corolla »

Thanks for the info bcflyer. So what is a typical month like for you? Do you have a place in YVR to rest before your flight? Do you commute the day before your supposed to work or typically go from the commute flight directly to work?

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

Nice car...

bcflyer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by bcflyer »

I typically go over the day of. Usually allow a couple flights before checkin. I’m currently pretty senior which makes a huge difference in cutting down the number of days I have to work as well as controlling my checkin times. I don’t have a crash pad as I generally only need a room once or twice every few months. I have heard of a few places in YVR but they don’t seem to be as prevalent as they are in YYZ. There is a place in flight ops to close your eyes for a few mins if you need to commute early.

It takes a bit of planning but commuting from the island is likely the easiest commute in the system.

98 Corolla
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 98 Corolla »

Great information thanks. So how does the commute affect you in terms of fatigue? You said you allow a few flights before check-in so I'm guessing you are arriving in YVR a few hours early. You likely left home to catch your commuter flight maybe 90 minutes early. What's it like if you then have to work say a 10-12 hour day plus the 4-5 hours it took you for the commute? Aren't you exhausted? How many times a month do you typically have to do the commute?

islandguy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by islandguy »

I do Nanaimo to Vancouver...similar.

Honestly, as far as how you feel, that pretty much comes down to how you look at it. I look at my 'extra' time as an opportunity to catch up on emails, call the family, maybe work on a project or two away from the stresses and responsibilities of family life. I've talked to others who view the same time as an untenable imposition on their lives. The commute works for me—it didn't for them. Would I prefer to catch the Skytrain to work, arrive fifteen minutes before check in, and not have to worry about how I'm getting home at the end of a four-leg-across-the-Rocks day? Sure...but then I'd be squished into a tiny apartment or condo like all my friends who live in Vancouver. Best thing about this career is that you get to choose the tradeoffs you make.

Keep in mind, failing all else there's the big steel boat. That's really what makes this commute work. When you're sitting at the airport thinking madly about whether you should just throw in the towel and head to Tsawwassen, it seems like the worst thing in the world—but once you're on, you curl up in a seat and have time for exactly one movie. Not so bad.

bcflyer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by bcflyer »

I generally don’t feel too bad after my days. (I do productive 3-4 day pairings) For me 2-3 flights don’t necessarily mean 2-3 Jazz flights. Often I’ll try Jazz with Harbour Air and Helijet as back ups. The key is to always have a backup that will work. ie. something with seats on it! Takes the stress out of it. If it looks bad, take the boat. Not the most efficient option but it’s better than no showing on a pairing.
There are definitely some long days but as islandguy mentioned it’s all worth it once you get back to the island.

bigEh
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by bigEh »

I know this is in regards to AC but wondering how it works between JAzz and AC pilots trying this commute? Do Jazz employees get higher priority or is it the other way around? How about on Encore or Pasco. I assume its first come first served? Seems like there would be lot of commuters but there is also plenty of flights a day. I am curious as I have an application in at Jazz and this would be my preferred commute were I to get a job there.

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

Last edited by Black_Tusk on Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

The last thing we own at Jazz is our jump seat. So you'll always have priority over mainline employee regardless of what an agent might tell you. However, there are a number of Jazz employees that commute from YYJ, and there is only one JS. So if the plane is full and there is a sr employee also commuting you won't get on.

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

Black_Tusk wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 11:46 am The last thing we own at Jazz is our jump seat. So you'll always have priority over mainline employee regardless of what an agent might tell you. However, there are a number of Jazz employees that commute from YYJ, and there is only one JS. So if the plane is full and there is a sr employee also commuting you won't get on.
Just remember Air Canada pilots own their jumpseats too then.

Black_Tusk
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Black_Tusk »

That they do.

1000tolevel
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by 1000tolevel »

I've been doing it for over 11 years, and I'm not even AC/Jazz. As long as you keep a ferry sailing as a last resort, you'll be fine. Only once did I show up at the ferries and it was cancelled due to high winds in Tsawwassen. I then manage to get a $80 seat on Orca Airways. And once on the ferry, you can take the Wilson's bus (formerly known as PCL) straight to the airport or public transportation (#620 then Canada Line) which takes 15m longer.

CZBBYYZPilot
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by CZBBYYZPilot »

Can anyone here who does this commute (I'm planning a move to YCD) tell me how difficult this commute might be on say a 320 schedule? I'm thinking 737 out of YVR wouldn't be that bad with all the good flying coming soon. Might make it even worse on the 320...?

islandguy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by islandguy »

Based on the summer and fall to date, plan on ~50% of your commutes being on the ferry. If that's palatable, you'll be fine.

98 Corolla
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 98 Corolla »

Frankly, how anyone could be a commuter is beyond me. They have much more patience, energy, and stress tolerance than I do. I get stressed out just watching them try to figure out how to get home. I certainly don't have what it takes.

pianokeys
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by pianokeys »

98 Corolla wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:17 am Frankly, how anyone could be a commuter is beyond me. They have much more patience, energy, and stress tolerance than I do. I get stressed out just watching them try to figure out how to get home. I certainly don't have what it takes.
Did you trade the Tercel in for a Corolla? Upgrades all around.

98 Corolla
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 98 Corolla »

Uh try Hastings Street?

Return to “Air Canada”