Interview

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

DHC7DVR
Rank 1
Rank 1

Interview

Post by DHC7DVR »

Hey Guys,

I’ve been offered an interview next week with AC; does anyone have the latest gouge on the current questions being asked? I understand there is also a computer based COG test that I’m looking for information about. Any details would be very much appreciated!

In addition, if I’m fortunate to make it through the process and get offered a position, I will be looking to commute from YWG. (Apparently there is a base for 320 pilots at YWG, but there may not be positions available for new hires there; and even if there are, I understand I still may not be senior enough to hold it). But looking into the interview offer I have sent, it does state that ‘airline privileges’ don’t kick in untill 6 months. My question is, does that just apply to AC flights? And can I still get standby ID travel on WJ? Or does that mean no ID or standby travel at all on ANY airline? (Commuting from YWG to YYZ, full fare on my own dime for 6 months on the salary they are offering, is going to be tight to say the least!)

Many thanks!
---------- ADS -----------

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Interview

Post by altiplano »

I think if you're commuting you can book under business travel between your home city and assigned base until your 6 month wait for regular pass privileges is over.

Sharklasers
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Sharklasers »

altiplano wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:17 pm I think if you're commuting you can book under business travel between your home city and assigned base until your 6 month wait for regular pass privileges is over.
Nope.
Your going to be riding westket for those first 6 months alot. To be fair though your training will eat up at least 3 months of it during which the company will pos you to and from where they need you.

NotDirty!
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by NotDirty! »

Sharklasers wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:54 pm Nope.
Your going to be riding westket for those first 6 months alot. To be fair though your training will eat up at least 3 months of it during which the company will pos you to and from where they need you.
Yes, during training you can travel to and from your home and wherever the training is taking place with business confirmed status, for no cost.

Once you have completed your initial line check, you ARE allowed to commute on standby, but only between your residence and your base. Then once the 6 months is up, you have full access, along with your family.

It may be less expensive to jump on WS, but you are allowed on AC.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Sharklasers wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 7:54 pm
altiplano wrote: Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:17 pm I think if you're commuting you can book under business travel between your home city and assigned base until your 6 month wait for regular pass privileges is over.
Nope.
Your going to be riding westket for those first 6 months alot.
That's wrong. There is accommodation for commuting pre:6 months.

Sharklasers
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Sharklasers »

altiplano wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:14 am [quote=Sharklasers post_id=<a href="tel:1036840">1036840</a> time=<a href="tel:1523847281">1523847281</a> user_id=53543]
[quote=altiplano post_id=<a href="tel:1036808">1036808</a> time=<a href="tel:1523830679">1523830679</a> user_id=3052]
I think if you're commuting you can book under business travel between your home city and assigned base until your 6 month wait for regular pass privileges is over.
Nope.
Your going to be riding westket for those first 6 months alot.
[/quote]

That's wrong. There is accommodation for commuting pre:6 months.
[/quote]

The accomadation was for PML pilots only. They were waving the 6 month waiting period for travel benefits for new hires as they had served 6 months waiting at their respective carriers. All other must use alternate means of getting to the base after training.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Since years before the the PML was a twinkle, new hires were accommodated between their base and their home city.

You don't get full pass travel until 6 months, but you can get to work.

Outlaw58
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Outlaw58 »

If Jazz pilots can commute from home to base and back pre 6 mo. I am sure AC pilots can too.

Full privileges after 6 mo

yvrflyguy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by yvrflyguy »

I'm a new hire and it states specifically in the PIT package that you may you use standby travel on AC from your city of residence only to your base. Full pass travel is avail after 6 months.

mel gibson
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by mel gibson »

The reason for this policy was because new hires from other parts of the company would get hired and fly back to their country and not come back, immediately after starting employment. You would think pilots would be exempt , but they have to apply it to all departments.

DHC7DVR
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by DHC7DVR »

Thankyou for the responses guys; I'm only interested in getting from my home to my base for commuting purposes anyway. I'm happy to wait for the full travel benifits package for 6 months; just as long as I can get to work....

DHC7DVR
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by DHC7DVR »

....One more thing; they have asked for my Logbook....which I still have, but I have been using an electron EXEL spread sheet for some years now....If I hand them a memory stick, would that be acceptable??

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

DHC7DVR wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:49 pm ....One more thing; they have asked for my Logbook....which I still have, but I have been using an electron EXEL spread sheet for some years now....If I hand them a memory stick, would that be acceptable??
Do you want to risk it? Make it difficult on them?

I'd start copying it out. They'll likely want your hours signed off too.

justwork
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by justwork »

DHC7DVR wrote: Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:49 pm ....One more thing; they have asked for my Logbook....which I still have, but I have been using an electron EXEL spread sheet for some years now....If I hand them a memory stick, would that be acceptable??
Hit the print button and bring a copy.

nightbird
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by nightbird »

They really insist on not only a printed copy but having it certified by previous companies. So if you haven't done so I would start working on that right away, tracking previous CPs for a signature can be a pain.

Oxi
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Oxi »

Not true about the logbook and getting your CP stuff

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Oxi wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:41 am Not true about the logbook and getting your CP stuff
That's how it was when I was hired. Maybe it changed... maybe it's based on what the individual interviewer is looking for.

Why risk it?

yvrflyguy
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by yvrflyguy »

Definitely print it out....read the instructions on your invitation for your interview carefully! You should have it certified by all previous employers, they did not need to see the certification from my current employer, as they called them for a reference check.

AOW
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by AOW »

Oxi wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:41 am Not true about the logbook and getting your CP stuff
When I first interviewed in 2012, the interviewers pointed out that while a previous employer had certified my logbook mid way through my time there, they had not certified the last 9 months, and would not accept anything short of me taking my logbook to the former employer, having him sign it, and faxing a copy of the signed page in. I got still got PFO’d, but I had to wonder whether not being properly prepared was a factor in that decision.

Fast forward to my 2016 interview, they looked very carefully through my logbook, and asked about a few notes I had in there, as well as a couple of photos I had stuck in. The logbook has been certified by my CPnthe day before (and all previous employers). I was successful that time.

So I recommend printing it out, put it in a nice binder, sign each page yourself, and have your employer(s) sign as appropriate.

AOW
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by AOW »

On the note regarding not needing your current employer to certify your logbook because they will be called as a reference, I would still have them sign it. I assume they know you are interviewing, so why wouldn’t you ask for them to certify.

I recall a story from a few years ago, there were a couple of pilots from the same company interviewing on the same day at the same regional. The first guy to interview had tried to explain to the interviewer that since he worked out of one subbase, while the CP was at a different base hundreds of miles away, it was impossible for him to have had his logbook certified. Then the second guy met with the same interviewer and explained that since he worked at the same subbase, he hadn’t had a chance to get his logbook certified, but he had a letter from the company that verified his hours on company aircraft.

The first guy hadn’t told his boss he was going to an interview, while the second guy did, and had a signed document in his favour. First guy got PFO’d, second guy got the job...

It’s really not rocket science, folks::: stack the deck in your favour! Don’t give them a reason to pass on your file, that could be avoided with a minimum amount of work!!

Return to “Air Canada”