Hearing some interesting Jazz rumors

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Hearing some interesting Jazz rumors

Post by KAG »

Been hearing about even more hires for Jazz, faster upgrades (2-3 years) and larger fleet because of flying for 2 carriers in the states???
Sounds alittle too optomistic.

Cheers.
---------- ADS -----------

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
the original tony
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by the original tony »

also heard they are going to double the # of hires in the next few months. not sure if it has any merit, but any light would be nice on the subject.
direct intry to the RJ in Feb onward????
ring any bells?
anyone have the goods?
please post if you can
thanks

"tony"

. .
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by . . »

they've already doubled the entry rate of new hires.

Dockjock
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Dockjock »

I've heard 44/mo.

KAG
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by KAG »

Maybe some truith to these rumors after all... Could get interesting.

The feet you step on today might be attached to the ass you're kissing tomorrow.
Chase lifestyle not metal.
2low
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by 2low »

YUP YUP 8)

Traf
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Traf »

KAG, you are new at Jazz, correct? Although I envy your enthusiasm, I wouldn't get too pumped up. I have been there for quite some time now and have learned that there is a new rumour every week. Don't get me wrong, I am into a large hiring spree and more airplanes. I just tend not to get too excited about these things because I have heard soooo many that have not come true.

The good news is, they are doubling up on training and there seems to be new airplanes arriving steadily. The rumours may not help you out much but the current hiring will mean your seniority is going up every month. That means schedule, schedule, schedule. Enjoy the wave!

yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by yycflyguy »

the original tony wrote:also heard they are going to double the # of hires in the next few months. not sure if it has any merit, but any light would be nice on the subject.
direct intry to the RJ in Feb onward????
ring any bells?
anyone have the goods?
please post if you can
thanks

"tony"
I heard the same in my interview regarding the direct entry hires for Captains on the RJ. My question is, how does ALPA allow this to happen when there are guys with seniority numbers to choose from? Are that many passing on the move to YYZ YUL?

Traf
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Traf »

That post refers to DIRECT RJ entry not direct RJ CAPTAIN. Some guys are getting right onto the RJ while some are being put on the dash. It all depends on the needs for that month. As far as ALPA is concerned, if a number of pilots decide to stay on the Dash due to schedule and/or other reasons, the RJ spot then goes to the most senior pilot BIDDING that position. If the most senior guy wanting to go right seat on the Jet happens to be a new hire, they he/she gets it.

No direct entry captains have been hired and no rules have been broken. There are simply some F/O's holding on to the Dash for different reason causing vacancies to appear on the RJ lines. I suspect for most guys coming off the street, the RJ is the 1st choice plane.

Bede
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Bede »

In my indoc, I asked the Asst. CP about upgrade times. I got a laugh from the class and the Asst. CP. I don't see hte upgrade times being less.

. .
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by . . »

I don't see how you can add planes and have retirements without a positive reflection on upgrade time.

bobcaygeon
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by bobcaygeon »

Retirements!!! Not here maybe mainline, but I think there are 3 pilots that have to retire this year out of over 1300

Stop smoking the West coast weed b4 you do your medical

. .
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by . . »

i heard a figure that was magnitudes higher than 3. can anyone provide a more accurate figure? I realize jazz is a very young company, but there are older guys working there.

bobcaygeon
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by bobcaygeon »

JAZZ DOESN'T HAVE MANDATORY RETIRMENT AT 60!!!!

Over 60 captians just don't fly to or hold alternates in the USA. Over 75% of our flites are here in canada

Most older Jazz pilots face a penalty on their pension of 6% a year if they retire before age 65. Throw in that many have not been at Jazz for more than 20 years (ie air nova started less 20 years ago) or if they have, their former employers ie Time air, Austin, Great shakes etc had a very poor or no pension plan at all This ain't the gold plated AC pension

Retirements at Jazz are not a factor (more guys end up on LTD than retire)

babybus
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by babybus »

bobcaygon,

first time in my life that I hear Jazz pilots can stay till 60.I think you are out in left field on that one....

I flew at Air Ontario and I flew with guys who were retiring because they were 60.(just a few tears ago)

Jaques Strappe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Jaques Strappe »

bobcaygeon wrote:JAZZ DOESN'T HAVE MANDATORY RETIRMENT AT 60!!!!

Over 60 captians just don't fly to or hold alternates in the USA. Over 75% of our flites are here in canada

I have a hard time understanding that one. I can't see a dispatcher having his alternate selection dictated by pilot age. If that were the case, the company would be getting rid of that policy the first time there was a flight cancellation.

Not to mention that every flight from Montreal to Halifax with a pilot over 60 would have to re-routed to stay out of U.S airspace.

Standby for new atis message
uncleron
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by uncleron »

It's true.Jazz pilots fly till 65.If they are over 60 they have NOUSA beside their name on all flight plans.
You are allowed to fly over US airspace (ie YYZ to Windsor is Cleveland airspace over Aylmer), but unable to land there or carry an alternate there.

Have been on cancelled flights because the only useable takeoff alternate was in CLE and we were unable to use it.

Jaques Strappe
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Jaques Strappe »

Wow!

Standby for new atis message
Rebel
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Rebel »

Today by a majority vote the Senate Committee on Commerce, Science and Transportation has amended the bill S.65: A bill to increase airline pilot retirement age to reflect social security age to the following: Pilots will be allowed to work until their 65th birthday providing it is a crew served operation and that the other pilot be under 60. Further that the over 60 pilot must take two FAA medicals per year and one with EKG, further that the National Transportation Safety Board evaluate the new rule two years after enactment. The enactment is to be within 30 days of activation of the ICAO revision of its retirement guidence of age 65. This is anticipated to be November 2006.

The bill has been marked for presentation on the Senate Floor as amended for final vote.

. .
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by . . »

you're already having 2 medicals a year with one ekg a year. So no medical requirement change at all.

Return to “Air Canada”