AC offer AT $13 per share

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

florch
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: AC offer AT $13 per share

Post by florch »

thesimplelife wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 2:05 pm

Relative seniority works when you're merging two groups of similar size, not with a 3000+ group with 600. I don't see it happening.
In this one instance only, size doesn't matter.
---------- ADS -----------

thesimplelife
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by thesimplelife »

florch wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 2:43 pm
thesimplelife wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 2:05 pm

Relative seniority works when you're merging two groups of similar size, not with a 3000+ group with 600. I don't see it happening.
In this one instance only, size doesn't matter.
So in your opinion a top A330 Captain who's been at AT for 15 years should slot in with 25-30 year pilots at AC? Pilots who were flying before they even had a license?

Yeah... No

florch
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by florch »

I didn't invent it and I'm not married to it, but if I was forced to bet, this is where I'd put my money. A top TS Capt has way more than 15 years. The airline is 32 years old. So if there are any 30+ year TS Captains I imagine they deserve fairly high seniority after a merge.

Tell me what you think will happen. Please reference examples of actual mergers from the past to explain your answer.

thesimplelife
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by thesimplelife »

florch wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 2:56 pm I didn't invent it and I'm not married to it, but if I was forced to bet, this is where I'd put my money. A top TS Capt has way more than 15 years. The airline is 32 years old. So if there are any 30+ year TS Captains I imagine they deserve fairly high seniority after a merge.

Tell me what you think will happen. Please reference examples of actual mergers from the past to explain your answer.
And that's why DOH makes sense.

florch
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by florch »

Maybe. We'll see.

Yycjetdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Yycjetdriver »

The only thing worse than a company with its headquarters located in Quebec...... One with two headquarters in Quebec.

goingnowherefast
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goingnowherefast »

Put yourself in the other pilot's position and ask how you'd expect to be treated.

Not gonna happen, but what if Delta buys AC, how should that merger go. 3000 pilots vs 15000.

thesimplelife
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by thesimplelife »

goingnowherefast wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 9:46 pm Put yourself in the other pilot's position and ask how you'd expect to be treated.

Not gonna happen, but what if Delta buys AC, how should that merger go. 3000 pilots vs 15000.
Date of hire. It really doesn't get much simpler than that.

thesimplelife
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by thesimplelife »

People made the choice to go to a company with fast upgrades and therefore also took on the risk.

If someone at AT has 25 years of seniority and is a 330 skipper, by all means they should have 25 years and be able to bid the same or similar.

If someone took the Jr upgrade at year 6-10 at AT and slides over to AC it's only fair they hold year 6-10 at AC and whatever that might hold.

Relative seniority doesn't work for a few reasons one of which is there will be some very young and jr pilots slid into the top 1/3 of the list where they will sit pretty for the rest of their lives as everyone around them retires.

Are people saying it's fair to have a 45 year old AT pilot slide into a list at AC where everyone is 55-65? Just because that's where their "relative seniority" was?

I don't.

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

goingnowherefast wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 9:46 pm Put yourself in the other pilot's position and ask how you'd expect to be treated.

BOTL since I'll be making more money anyways

Dry Guy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dry Guy »

Victory wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 2:35 am

This is why BOTL with pay protection makes the most sense to me. TS pilots get the comfort in knowing their current income won't be hurt. AC pilots get the comfort that their career path won't be hurt. AC can even keep the 4 year flat pay for AC new hires which is a huge cost savings for them. Is it weird that a 30 year A330 Captain is now a NB FO or RP? Yeah but they are still getting paid the same so they may even enjoy it. It could be much worse when your airplane just got sold.

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

Dry Guy wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 4:11 am
Victory wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 2:35 am

This is why BOTL with pay protection makes the most sense to me. TS pilots get the comfort in knowing their current income won't be hurt. AC pilots get the comfort that their career path won't be hurt. AC can even keep the 4 year flat pay for AC new hires which is a huge cost savings for them. Is it weird that a 30 year A330 Captain is now a NB FO or RP? Yeah but they are still getting paid the same so they may even enjoy it. It could be much worse when your airplane just got sold.
Really BOTL. Comfort in knowing pay won’t be hurt??? There’s way more to life than pay. Vacation schedule, monthly schedule are just 2 I can think of that that would be horrible going from a senior Capt go a BOTL FO

FL320
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by FL320 »

thesimplelife wrote: Sat May 18, 2019 10:23 pm People made the choice to go to a company with fast upgrades and therefore also took on the risk.
Fast upgrades is a combination of circumstances and the same is happening at AC; people didn't choose AT for the fast upgrades.
If someone took the Jr upgrade at year 6-10 at AT and slides over to AC it's only fair they hold year 6-10 at AC and whatever that might hold.
I am in this situation and I agree with you 100%.

Dry Guy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dry Guy »

av8ts wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 4:32 am
Really BOTL. Comfort in knowing pay won’t be hurt??? There’s way more to life than pay. Vacation schedule, monthly schedule are just 2 I can think of that that would be horrible going from a senior Capt go a BOTL FO
Their airplane got sold.

FL320
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by FL320 »

[

av8ts
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by av8ts »

Dry Guy wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 5:43 am
Their airplane got sold.
No it didn’t. AC had to buy Transat before Onex did and merged it with WJ. They were a threat to AC and the pilots should be treated as equals

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

Some History.

During the AC/CDN merger

The economic state of CDN didn’t matter to the arbitrator. They were bought as a going concern. It was irrelevant.

The pay differences between AC and CDN did not matter to the arbitrator. It was irrelevant.

The rationalizations and justifications posted here are meaningless. You won’t be able to discount the other side based on something the arbitrator views as irrelevant.

The arbitrator will not look at career progression as we know it. He won’t even clearly understand it. The arbitrator won’t even remotely understand why one group thinks they are more deserving than the other. They will view you as equals.

It will never come from an arbitrator. If you stick to your guns on irrelevant points to justify your position you guarantee arbitration.

Last edited by Fanblade on Sun May 19, 2019 8:50 am, edited 6 times in total.
ahramin
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by ahramin »

Dry Guy wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 5:43 am
Their airplane got sold.
Or, thinking of it another way, their airplane got bought.

Gilles Hudicourt
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Gilles Hudicourt »

John1234 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 2:46 pm Transat has been hiring 1000hr instructors, congratulations on winning the lotto
Really ? Sounds like the person living in Northern Quebec telling me that the Montreal neighbourhood where I live is full of burka clad women.... I have yet to see one....

FL-280
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by FL-280 »

Gilles Hudicourt wrote: Sun May 19, 2019 9:43 am
John1234 wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 2:46 pm Transat has been hiring 1000hr instructors, congratulations on winning the lotto
Really ? Sounds like the person living in Northern Quebec telling me that the Montreal neighbourhood where I live is full of burka clad women.... I have yet to see one....
Maybe a little far fetched, but 1 500 TT with a bit of Turbine time yes. Some pilots left the AC express brand to go to Transat, the pilots who sticked it out in the regional are going to get shafted now. My point is, Transat hire's with less experience than AC, that is for sure. I doubt doh will go through, but if it does these pilots have just won the lotto.

Return to “Air Canada”