AC offer AT $13 per share

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: AC offer AT $13 per share

Post by fish4life »

snowcone wrote: Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:01 am What if air canada doesn’t actually want to buy it. They put an offer if, but it gets turned down by the completion police.

The precedent is set and onex can’t buy it either.
That would only work as a precedent it WJ has the same TATL market share as AC but it doesn’t. In fact the WJ AT merger would only have 23% of the market share compared to the 42% AC currently has.
---------- ADS -----------

Duke Point
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Duke Point »

I still don't believe the merge will be as "impactful" overall as some might think.

Transat -will- be bringing assets, and with only 12% of the overall number, and our need for qualified pilots, the absorbtion rate will be quick. However, since a good portion of the Transat pilots are Montreal residents, the "base impact" might be a better topic for discussion. Any idea on base percentages of current Transat pilots? I can't see anyone being forcibly moved to another city. I do forsee the size of the Montreal base rising by 50% or more.

Infighting and division are -by far- our biggest threats. Fast integration and "keeping our eye on the ball" to secure gains for the entire group during this process will further mitigate the initial pain to be felt by most hired after 1997.

DP.

yycflyguy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by yycflyguy »

The "base" discussion is significant. The last re-opener passed ratification partly based on the fear of a Transat merger for the YUL pilots. They were given false promises that there wouldn't be a merger if they helped ratify another round of insignificant negotiation. It passed ratification and now a merger is imminent. Talk about getting played. Base politics has been a detriment to collective bargaining for the entire group for longer than I have been at AC.

It is my understanding that the pilots are split around 50/50% YUL/YYZ, but most YYZ pilots were looking to transfer to YUL. Could someone confirm that?

It will definitely affect the seniority and career advancement of YUL base if the majority of Transat guys want to be based there too.

Daniel Cooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Daniel Cooper »

YUL will likely be a 777 base again.

Duke Point
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Duke Point »

….yes. And the 330 might apparently show positions back in YYZ, at least according to the bid memo.

Wondering if that has anything to do with the merger?

DP.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

"Insignificant negotiations"

Lots of real cherries in there...

Bad faith negotiations there pulling the rug out not even 2 years later... where Dan C.?

Last edited by altiplano on Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BTD
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by BTD »

Duke Point wrote: Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:42 pm ….yes. And the 330 might apparently show positions back in YYZ, at least according to the bid memo.

Wondering if that has anything to do with the merger?

DP.
There was talk about that before the merger. There is seasonal flying out of YYZ on the 330 apparently that they can maintain a small base to handle. How the merger or additional 330 acquisitions further changes that could be interesting.

Oxi
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Oxi »

And then we have the recent new hire that ended up on the A320 in YYZ, but didn't want to commute so he just stayed in YVR the whole time and ended up getting into a huge scandal with ACPA and his managers?
can we please get more on this! :rolleyes:

TSAM
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TSAM »

Last edited by TSAM on Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

Haha, now it's getting interesting....

Do I hear a $14.75 from Onyx?

ogc
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by ogc »

TSAM wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:53 am https://www.thestar.com/business/2019/0 ... share.html
Quebec firm Group Mach makes rival offer for Transat worth $14 per share
"and convince the Quebec government to finance nearly one-quarter of the purchase."

I'm wondering if that means the government has agreed already or they need to agree still.

If the latter I would say that's hardly a solid offer.

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

ogc wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:44 am
"and convince the Quebec government to finance nearly one-quarter of the purchase."

I'm wondering if that means the government has agreed already or they need to agree still.

If the latter I would say that's hardly a solid offer.
The offer is conditional on Quebec providing about $120 million in financing AKA not a real offer. More like trying to blackmail the government into giving you $120 loan or Quebec people are going to be mad at you for a lot of layoffs.

atphat
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by atphat »

TSAM wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 7:53 am https://www.thestar.com/business/2019/0 ... share.html
Quebec firm Group Mach makes rival offer for Transat worth $14 per share
Fantastic news for the TS pilots.

snowcone
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by snowcone »

How is that great for Transat pilots. They will be owned by a real estate company. They care about the hotel properties, not the airline.

Pilots will loose out on the sweet heart deal they would have received at AC. Maybe they will get an employee discount on their next use of a real estate agent.

ToolShed
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by ToolShed »

snowcone wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:16 am How is that great for Transat pilots. They will be owned by a real estate company. They care about the hotel properties, not the airline.

Pilots will loose out on the sweet heart deal they would have received at AC. Maybe they will get an employee discount on their next use of a real estate agent.
Maybe great news for AC pilots then?

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

Just grab the popcorn and watch. This was inevitable. Probably not the last either. You never pay your original offer. AC will just match it.

So far this offer doesn’t look like much to me. Especially after paying the breakup fee. The only thing that might sway that is if the Quebec government is motivated.

No idea on that front.

My odds are still highly favouring AC:AT.

Maybe even an angle here to break up Transat. Hotels to developer, airline to AC

Victory
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Victory »

snowcone wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:16 am How is that great for Transat pilots.
The nightmare of working for Air Canada is over and the dream of working for the state is being realized.

atphat
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by atphat »

snowcone wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 10:16 am How is that great for Transat pilots. They will be owned by a real estate company. They care about the hotel properties, not the airline.

Seems to me most TS pilots have been looking the gift horse in the mouth over this deal. At least on this site. They won’t be forced to endure AC anymore. Win win.

TSAM
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TSAM »

Last edited by TSAM on Wed Apr 08, 2020 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
snowcone
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by snowcone »

Being owned by a real estate company I would be more concerned about being broken up and sold off later down the rather than owner by an airline.

Return to “Air Canada”