Upgrade Times and current pool of eligible FOs

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

GoHomeLeg
Rank 3
Rank 3

Upgrade Times and current pool of eligible FOs

Post by GoHomeLeg »

I'm curious. Several senior older pilots at SWG are leaving for AC. Were they told they'd have a very quick upgrade on a narrow body? Is the number of low experience pilots too big at AC?
---------- ADS -----------

indieadventurer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Upgrade Times and current pool of eligible FOs

Post by indieadventurer »

No, Air Canada would never say such a thing during an interview to a candidate. My guess is that, long-term over the course of a career Air Canada provides the best job opportunity with respect to pay, schedule and pension in Canada. It’s nothing against Sunwing, it’s just that it’s Air Canada and when the opportunity presents itself most people will not turn it down.

Daniel Cooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Daniel Cooper »

Job security can't be overstated either.

Brize
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Brize »

If you consider 2.5-3.5 years fast. Most people would say so, considering it's at a major airline.
Captain status pay begins at "Activation Date", which is set at 9 months after the Bid Award of position. Training usually begins 9mo-12mo after award, but sometimes less, sometimes more depending on what position you bid from. The difference in pay is paid retroactively after you pass your Command Final Line-Check. There is no guarantee of passing the upgrade. You can expect extra evaluations above the minimum required during the assessment.

Now consider the potential Air Transat purchase. The timeline could significantly change. There is no way to know.

bcflyer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by bcflyer »

GoHomeLeg wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:17 am I'm curious. Several senior older pilots at SWG are leaving for AC. Were they told they'd have a very quick upgrade on a narrow body? Is the number of low experience pilots too big at AC?
I’m not sure if you are asking two individual questions or if they are two related questions. The time to upgrade has already been covered. As for the experience level it’s pretty much all over the map right now. Having said that, there are still a lot of pilots coming with a lot of experience.
In case you were wondering, experience level has absolutely nothing to do with who is upgraded at A/C. It is strictly seniority. If you have the seniority and can pass all the training evaluations (there are quite a few of them for any initial upgrade at AC) then you get the upgrade. Experience will obviously help with the process but it is not a pre requisite.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

bcflyer wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 7:05 am
GoHomeLeg wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:17 am I'm curious. Several senior older pilots at SWG are leaving for AC. Were they told they'd have a very quick upgrade on a narrow body? Is the number of low experience pilots too big at AC?
I’m not sure if you are asking two individual questions or if they are two related questions. The time to upgrade has already been covered. As for the experience level it’s pretty much all over the map right now. Having said that, there are still a lot of pilots coming with a lot of experience.
In case you were wondering, experience level has absolutely nothing to do with who is upgraded at A/C. It is strictly seniority. If you have the seniority and can pass all the training evaluations (there are quite a few of them for any initial upgrade at AC) then you get the upgrade. Experience will obviously help with the process but it is not a pre requisite.
What is the hardest part of command training if I may ask since you mentioned there quite a few evaluation processes along the route to getting the four stripes.

bcflyer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by bcflyer »

If I had to pick something I guess it would be the command sims. They aren’t as bad as some would say but they definitely make you work a bit.
I’m not saying that upgrades at A/C are any more difficult than at other airlines. There is nothing extra special about the process. It is a bit more intensive than some upgrades I’ve done in the past, but certainty don’t feel like I’m superior to anyone else simply because of the 4th bar. Lol.

tailgunner
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tailgunner »

Old Fella,
The Command Sims are a bit different than what most pilots have been exposed to. Usually, in normal simulator events, all failures and scenarios are related. For example, you may be given an overheating hydraulic pump. This will lead you through a series of steps which may include the use of memory drills and checklists. You may have to secure an engine or turn off said hydraulic system, which may lead to reduced aircraft performance. These event sets usually progress and lead from one to another.
The Command sims (2 sims) are very different than that, and each other. The first type gives the candidate multiple unrelated failures, often at the very same time. For example, you may be faced with a cargo door that has separated from the aircraft, destroying the engine, and damaging the tail. This gives you a rapid depressurization, engine fire/severe damage, and control issues maybe manifesting themselves as a jammed elevator. The weather will always be at minimums , and often the diversion airports present poor approaches, with poor runway conditions. There will be numerous drills, checklists to be done. The candidate will have to prioritize the events, and be forced to use ALL available resources. It may take upwards of 3 hours to finish.
The next type of Command sim. also presents a surprise factor, but there may not be a checklist to reference. There might not even be a good outcome available. Time may be a huge factor. For example, you may be given a cargo fire that will not go out. The closest runway may not be long enough, the runway that is long enough may be a 25 minute flight away.....
Decisions...

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Old fella »

Thanks for that Tailgunner, interesting scenarios for sure on command upgrades. I am not an airline pilot, never was but I guess anything and everything is certainly possible. Going back from years gone by Southern Airways DC-9 dual engine failure and attempted forced landing on a highway, Alaska Airlines MD-83 elevator jackscrew control issue, various DC-10 incidents and the like. From your commentary and knowledge I gather it is the decision making process and how you go about that, not the outcome as that won’t be positive aka cargo door blowing off, smashing up an engine and pounding shit out of an elevator flying over the pole heading to China. After that session ya deserve a couple of craft beers for sure.

BTD
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by BTD »

The command sims are diverse in the directions they can go, but they are manageable and the simulated aircraft should end up on a runway at the end of the day. Although it may not be reusable.

There is no sense training or demonstrating ability in a hopeless scenario.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

BTD wrote: Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:42 pm The command sims are diverse in the directions they can go, but they are manageable and the simulated aircraft should end up on a runway at the end of the day. Although it may not be reusable.

There is no sense training or demonstrating ability in a hopeless scenario.
Kobayashi Maru!

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
BTD
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by BTD »

I think TC will implement that training in the 23rd century.

Say Altitude
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Say Altitude »

Current failure rates on the Command Sims are 80% - due in no small part to the relative lack of experience of the people attempting the upgrade.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Say Altitude wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:59 pm Current failure rates on the Command Sims are 80% - due in no small part to the relative lack of experience of the people attempting the upgrade.
Wow. Not a stellar reference for the training department then...

Last edited by digits_ on Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gonzodriver
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Gonzodriver »

Say Altitude wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:59 pm Current failure rates on the Command Sims are 80% - due in no small part to the relative lack of experience of the people attempting the upgrade.
I'm surprised it's that's high!

BTD
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by BTD »

I doubt if it is that high. Maybe 80% success?

I was doing continuous line training before the recent groundings and between end of December through February I only sat in the left seat once. The rest was all upgrade captains most of whom had already done the command sims. If it was anywhere near that high we would have run out of people. And all that I can remember were excellent.

CL-Skadoo!
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by CL-Skadoo! »

digits_ wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:18 pm
Are you going to believe everything you read on the internet? It's not 80%.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

CL-Skadoo! wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 7:45 pm
digits_ wrote: Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:18 pm
Are you going to believe everything you read on the internet? It's not 80%.
No, not at all. My reply is valid if the information to which I replied was correct. If it's not, the reply can be ignored.

TheStig
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by TheStig »

The failure rate is no where near 80%. You don't fail your upgrade if your Command Simulator sessions aren't successful, you continue line indoc and attempt the command simulator sessions again after additional training.

A candidates entire upgrade performance is an evaluation through the simulator, line indoc and rides which are conducted with a variety of Training Captain and Check Pilots, often spread across multiple bases. You don't fail or pass based on one persons opinion of you.

"Would I be comfortable having this individual fly my family?" That's the most common barometer you'll hear in aviation, whether it's for a PPL or airline Captain.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Old fella »

TheStig wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:23 am The failure rate is no where near 80%. You don't fail your upgrade if your Command Simulator sessions aren't successful, you continue line indoc and attempt the command simulator sessions again after additional training.

A candidates entire upgrade performance is an evaluation through the simulator, line indoc and rides which are conducted with a variety of Training Captain and Check Pilots, often spread across multiple bases. You don't fail or pass based on one persons opinion of you.

"Would I be comfortable having this individual fly my family?" That's the most common barometer you'll hear in aviation, whether it's for a PPL or airline Captain.
I imagine command candidates have to demonstrate their ability to handle very high density, complicated approach and airspace situations . Are there airports that are specifically mandated for this purpose in line training after all simulator sessions are done.

Return to “Air Canada”