King of the Hill

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

FL-200
Rank 1
Rank 1

Re: King of the Hill

Post by FL-200 »

sanjet wrote: Tue May 19, 2020 9:17 am
FL-200 wrote: Mon May 18, 2020 6:29 pm None sense.

I’ve made plenty of money from discounted company shares at the airlines I’ve worked at.

I always recommend people partake in ESOP. Not only is it free money, but all employees should also be owners in the company they work for. ESOP allows us proletariat to benefit from the means of our own production.

However, just because you work for a company doesn’t make that company any more special. You should never let your ESOP take up a disproportionate size of your total net worth. For most of us (myself included) that means selling every year as soon as those free shares vest as using the proceeds to pay down debt, or reinvest in other less risky things.
Nothing wrong with owning a few shares of a company you work for, but there is a limit. Warren Buffet just learned his lesson... again.

Ive been accumulating shares of Walmart, Microsoft, Costco... etc in the last decade. All are still near all times high and I’m earning dividend even in these times.
I don’t need shares of a company I work for to require me to be productive, I get to the gate, follow SOP’s, keep the operation as safe and on time as possible and go home. As I get older, the kool aid days are winding down. Don’t get me wrong, I do have the best job in the world, but as much as you hear the “Win as one” or “Top 10”, you’re just an expense at the end of the day.

It’s all about having a second source of liquidity. Just like flying, have an alternate.

Good on ya. I missed the tech boom completely. My flight to safety is a rental house with REITs, banks and index funds.

I’m holding onto my ESOP From last year and continuing to contribute while I’m still employed, we’ll see how that turns out.
---------- ADS -----------

Return to “Air Canada”