There are no "Bad Seats" for commuters on the A220!

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

A321
Rank 2
Rank 2

There are no "Bad Seats" for commuters on the A220!

Post by A321 »

The "Spokesmodel" Air Canada captain riding in the middle seat of the A220 inaugural flight from YUL to YYC this past Thursday announced: "There are no bad seats for commuters on the A220!" I would have liked to have swapped seats with him on that flight. Even though the economy seats might be an inch wider on the A220, my "plus sized" seat mate needed the leg room under the seat in front of me, and had made bench out of my row as he could not fit his middle seat with the armrests down. I did not realize that buying a seat on an airliner doesn't guarantee the use of the entire seat you are assigned. I guess for "commuters" any seat is a good seat if it gets you to work or home at nominal charge.
---------- ADS -----------

shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: There are no "Bad Seats" for commuters on the A220!

Post by shimmydampner »

A321 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:00 pm I did not realize that buying a seat on an airliner doesn't guarantee the use of the entire seat you are assigned.
Did you really buy a seat, or were you essentially assigned a free standby seat? If it was free you should probably just be grateful you got a seat and not complain. If you paid for it and you really want/need the space, you're going to have to risk hurting someone's feelings to get it. If you're unwilling to start that confrontation, then you can't really complain either.

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

shimmydampner wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:10 am
A321 wrote: Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:00 pm I did not realize that buying a seat on an airliner doesn't guarantee the use of the entire seat you are assigned.
Did you really buy a seat, or were you essentially assigned a free standby seat? If it was free you should probably just be grateful you got a seat and not complain. If you paid for it and you really want/need the space, you're going to have to risk hurting someone's feelings to get it. If you're unwilling to start that confrontation, then you can't really complain either.
You might want to reread the original post, it appears to be an angry customer responding to a statement from an AC pilot who posted there are no bad seats on the A220.

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
shimmydampner
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by shimmydampner »

Yes, the last half of my last was posited as such. Either way, it's illogical to get upset at Air Canada because in a random act of chance, you happened to get assigned a seat beside a fat person. Either address the situation with your seat mate or an FA and try to get a different seat. The only way to get it changed is to confront the issue. Putting out angry vibes to the universe and thinking about how you can't wait to get home and complain on avcanada doesn't work. You can't do nothing to improve your situation and get upset at a company who you didn't give the opportunity to improve your experience. That would be some serious millennial entitlement.

Last edited by shimmydampner on Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
FL410
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FL410 »

Seats are wider but the regular seats are still a very limiting 30" pitch. Perhaps not a significant issue if you're under 6ft...by no means comfortable for more than an hour or two if you're >6ft.

cjp
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by cjp »

FL410 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 9:08 am Seats are wider but the regular seats are still a very limiting 30" pitch. Perhaps not a significant issue if you're under 6ft...by no means comfortable for more than an hour or two if you're >6ft.
The struggle is real :lol:

TalkingPie
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TalkingPie »

I haven't been aboard one yet, but I'm fairly confident that this will be similar to the much-despised (even pre-crashes) 737 Max. The lavs are too small in size and number and crammed in with a too-small galley. Anticipate a constant lineup to use the lavs, and stressed cabin crew who struggle to get through the aisle and into the galley to do their jobs. Seat pitch will be unimpressive. Frustration levels will be high as waiting lav users are told to take their seat every time the seat belt sign illuminates or a trolley needs to pass through.

The cabin configuration is, of course, exactly as AC chose it to be. They could have learned from the 737, but they chose not to. In related news, the stock price is doing great.

L39Guy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by L39Guy »

The traveling public want Walmart prices so they get Walmart product. It's that simple.

cjp
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by cjp »

L39Guy wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:46 am The traveling public want Walmart prices so they get Walmart product. It's that simple.
A retort mon ami;

Air Canada is a premium product with premium pricing. No Walmart about it. Swoop and Flair, are, another story.

Investors, boards and manufacturers know more seats mean more profit. I have yet to see the savings passed onto the consumer. Air Canada stocks have shown healthy growth which means the formula is working, not for the sake of the big and tall folks though.

It is what it is.

TalkingPie
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by TalkingPie »

cjp wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 11:04 am
L39Guy wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:46 am The traveling public want Walmart prices so they get Walmart product. It's that simple.
A retort mon ami;

Air Canada is a premium product with premium pricing. No Walmart about it. Swoop and Flair, are, another story.

Investors, boards and manufacturers know more seats mean more profit. I have yet to see the savings passed onto the consumer. Air Canada stocks have shown healthy growth which means the formula is working, not for the sake of the big and tall folks though.

It is what it is.
I agree with both of you; AC is driven by the market, which wants cheaper prices, and is reaping the financial rewards of responding to that demand. The problem is that they're simultaneously chasing after Top 10 Airline status and other prestige accolades, while refusing to make the commitments that will get them there. Much like many of their customers, they have champagne taste on a beer budget.

L39Guy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by L39Guy »

A retort mon ami;

It is what it is.
It’s true that AC chases the premium traffic (as WJ is trying to do too) but AC is price competitive with WJ at the low end of the market and the way you do that is increasing the seating density in economy. Do a price comparison between A and B and you’ll see that AC is as cheap or sometimes cheaper than WJ.

cjp
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by cjp »

L39Guy wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:33 pm
A retort mon ami;

It is what it is.
It’s true that AC chases the premium traffic (as WJ is trying to do too) but AC is price competitive with WJ at the low end of the market and the way you do that is increasing the seating density in economy. Do a price comparison between A and B and you’ll see that AC is as cheap or sometimes cheaper than WJ.
Fair enough.

A321
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by A321 »

Paid just over $500.00 for the "Comfort Seat". All empty seats were filled with Air Canada corporate staff along for the historic Inaugural flight. Would have bought the 2 seats on the left side of the plane or should have selected the first row aisle seat where the arm rests can't be moved as the tray tables store inside them. Truly, I had no idea the "Plus Size" passenger holds all the cards. :rolleyes:

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

A321 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:53 pm Truly, I had no idea the "Plus Size" passenger holds all the cards. :rolleyes:
Now you know. Do you have any suggestions for a practical fix for this problem?

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

lownslow wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:51 am
A321 wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 10:53 pm Truly, I had no idea the "Plus Size" passenger holds all the cards. :rolleyes:
Now you know. Do you have any suggestions for a practical fix for this problem?
Work for AC and bust out the 'ace of spade' B pass.

FL410AV8R
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FL410AV8R »

mbav8r wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:13 am
You might want to reread the original post, it appears to be an angry customer responding to a statement from an AC pilot who posted there are no bad seats on the A220.
Persons of size as these individuals are known under regulation are entitled to OPOF (One Person One Fare) all they have to do is inform the airline at the time of booking. Saves embarrassment and awkwardness for all involved.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

FL410AV8R wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:26 pm
mbav8r wrote: Mon Jan 20, 2020 8:13 am

Persons of size as these individuals are known under regulation are entitled to OPOF (One Person One Fare) all they have to do is inform the airline at the time of booking. Saves embarrassment and awkwardness for all involved.
Which makes no sense that tall people aren’t afforded the same luxury for exit row etc

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

fish4life wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 3:44 pm Which makes no sense that tall people aren’t afforded the same luxury for exit row etc
Can relate. The distance from the back of my ass to the front of my knee when seated is longer than the seat pitch in a decent number of airliners. Good times.

Return to “Air Canada”