Virus and Bookings

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

pigboat
Rank 2
Rank 2

Virus and Bookings

Post by pigboat »

If this virus is not brought under control soon it will have very significant damage to International flying revenues AND future bookings. Air Canada has three major destinations in China alone not to mention it is close to the summer season in Italy. Also three destinations there. Even with a fairly quick decline in the spread of this virus, whenever that happens, I think it will still be a month or two to get the full confidence of the flying public back.

It took quite a while to return to normal passenger loads after the SARS scare of almost 20 years ago in China. You can`t predict what can come out of the Blue to damage your flying. Remember the Iceland Volcano that closed Atlantic flying down for a month. No way to predict what will happen next.

This will be a very expensive event to the Airlines and entire travel industry. Lets hope for a quick end to this disaster. I don`t want to miss my favorite restaurant in Rome this summer!
---------- ADS -----------

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Virus and Bookings

Post by Eric Janson »

My research indicates this is just getting started - going to get a lot worse imho.

Despite assurances Governments are not prepared. An entire hospital in the Netherlands is on lockdown at present due to the most unbelievable negligence and incompetence. This isn't the story Governments want you to hear which is why this hasn't been getting international coverage.

Don't forget the Economic effects. Proctor and Gamble have 17000+ products that are produced in China - brands like Gillette and Tide. At some point there will be shortages of a lot of things.

As I was typing this Ryanair announced they are cutting 25% of their flights to Italy. Capacity is being reduced rapidly outside N America. Just a matter of time before N America catches up imho.

I expect more Airlines will collapse as they run out of money.

Since the virus is active in Thailand I have my doubts warmer weather is going to help.

I think we are looking at years not months for things to recover. The World as we know it is about to change.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
Ratherbe
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ratherbe »

Yup. No one seems to be talking about it but surely there are about to be big changes.
Fasten your seat belt

alkaseltzer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by alkaseltzer »

All of you make valid points.

But FFS, children die every day in other parts of the world from worse diseases. You name it. In thousands. Tone deaf to those unfortunate ones.

vermont
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by vermont »

Eric Janson wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:43 am My research indicates this is just getting started - going to get a lot worse imho.

Despite assurances Governments are not prepared. An entire hospital in the Netherlands is on lockdown at present due to the most unbelievable negligence and incompetence. This isn't the story Governments want you to hear which is why this hasn't been getting international coverage.

Don't forget the Economic effects. Proctor and Gamble have 17000+ products that are produced in China - brands like Gillette and Tide. At some point there will be shortages of a lot of things.

As I was typing this Ryanair announced they are cutting 25% of their flights to Italy. Capacity is being reduced rapidly outside N America. Just a matter of time before N America catches up imho.

Since the virus is active in Thailand I have my doubts warmer weather is going to help.

I think we are looking at years not months for things to recover. The World as we know it is about to change.
I don't get how people say the media is sensationalized and at the same time they're also downplaying things

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

vermont wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:30 pm I don't get how people say the media is sensationalized and at the same time they're also downplaying things
You don't think the media can do both (at the same time)?

It all depends on the story they want to tell - keep emphasising everything that supports the narrative and downplay what doesn't.

Just watch a few hours of CNN.

The perfect example is how we are being assured that our Governments are prepared for this virus. Real world events show this isn't true but that does not get covered.

I know about the hospital in Holland because I have 2 cousins working there - at least one of them in the ICU where the patient was. I have been sent a copy of the "response" from the hospital - it's just laughable!

I'm presently in Dubai - Emirates just asked their staff to take paid/unpaid leave on a voluntary basis. All staff.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
GATRKGA
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by GATRKGA »

Eric Janson wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:43 am My research indicates this is just getting started - going to get a lot worse imho.

You’re good Eric.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.busine ... 20-3%3Famp

I heard CNN has openings, you should consider working for them.

TG
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by TG »

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/
This is so far one of the best up to date website to give a rough idea of what is going on.
I say rough because it is virtually impossible to have the correct numbers.

No CNN, Fox or BBC's frenzy who trend to forget about the recovery cases.

Ki-ll
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Ki-ll »

Here is a good read if you’d like to understand what is happening behind the scenes:
https://apps.who.int/iris/handle/10665/207501

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

It’s making standby travel pretty easy...

*cough*

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Trump travel ban includes continental Europe AND passengers connecting to US from continental Europe via a third country (think Canada).

AC has thousands of connecting passengers from Europe via YUL/YYZ/YVR to US. This is going to hurt.

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

GATRKGA wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:59 am You’re good Eric.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.busine ... 20-3%3Famp

I heard CNN has openings, you should consider working for them.
Nothing would make me happier than to be wrong - my job is also at risk.

I've been through several Airline bankruptcies - wouldn't wish that on anyone.

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

China's already recovering - this thing will blow itself out by August. Then there will be some seat sales and everyone will jump back on an airplane again.

bob99
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by bob99 »

I hope you're right but, China fought this thing immediately and aggressively. The US is doing the complete opposite. I find that concerning.

Squid
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Squid »

This is going to take months and months to recover. Not to mention the wiring harnesses aren’t going to get certified now on the max. certification in the fall now at the earliest so scrub the max. I think Ac is hemorrhaging cash is my guess

derateNO
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by derateNO »

Good thing they have thousands of cheap pilots on staff. .. :lol: :roll:

RRJetPilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by RRJetPilot »

Squid wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:55 am This is going to take months and months to recover. Not to mention the wiring harnesses aren’t going to get certified now on the max. certification in the fall now at the earliest so scrub the max. I think Ac is hemorrhaging cash is my guess
The max is going nowhere. Actually the grounding is now a benefit to AC. Also Boeing is covering all the costs of the grounding including pilot wages and training.

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

'97 Tercel wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:38 am China's already recovering - this thing will blow itself out by August. Then there will be some seat sales and everyone will jump back on an airplane again.
I watched a medical expert explain he suspected that within 2 weeks of China relaxing quarantine rules Covid19 would surge again.

I think the world is evolving from stop the virus to slow the inevitable enough that the health care system doesn't collapse from the weight. AKA don't do what Italy did. People are dieing in the hall ways. Quarantine may slow spread making it easier to deal with by health care professionals. But it may also make this take longer to pass.

18 months at least for vaccine.

Im starting to think this is SARS times _____. _____ yet to be determined.

mixturerich
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mixturerich »

bob99 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:30 am I hope you're right but, China fought this thing immediately and aggressively. The US is doing the complete opposite. I find that concerning.
Plus the US doesn’t have the facial recognition, public shaming, and surveillance drones to make sure people follow any quarantine rules.

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

bob99 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:30 am I hope you're right but, China fought this thing immediately and aggressively. The US is doing the complete opposite. I find that concerning.
That's not correct - they botched their initial response.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Li_Wenliang - PRC shows its true face.

Nobody believed their published figures - they lied about this from the beginning. This may have been a factor in the slow response by other countries who failed to realise how serious this was.

The WHO didn't help by pandering to these people.

When this is over there needs to be some Accountability imho.

What is really going on there is anyone's guess.

Return to “Air Canada”