Coronavirus Numbers

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Coronavirus Numbers

Post by Rockie »

Unlike us governments the world over have unlimited access to top medical, economic and scientific expertise, and with notable exceptions (looking at you America) have reached a collective decision to isolate knowing the risks and consequences that action by itself entails. They have agreed it is the lesser of all the remaining evils. Why anyone would trust quackery, abject ignorance and peanut gallery wisdom over science is beyond me.
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by Rockie on Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

There will always be people willing to kill others in order to survive themselves. Just as long as nobody comes for them, everything is just fine. I am not comfortable unnecessarily murdering millions, just because I am afraid of the unknown. By not isolating, and ignoring the threat of infection, we are doing great harm to many people, some of whom are close to us, and we would like to live a little longer. Yes, eventually we all die, but please, not just yet. Do your part, not for yourself, or your loved ones, because obviously you do not care about that, but for the rest of us. Please. WE can do this.

Good comment Rockie, BTW.

FL320
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by FL320 »

Rockie wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:41 am Unlike us governments the world over have access to reams of expert medical, economic and scientific expertise, and with notable exceptions (looking at you America) have reached a collective decision to isolate knowing the consequences that action by itself entails. They have agreed it is the lesser of all the remaining evils. Why anyone would trust quackery, abject ignorance and peanut gallery wisdom over science is beyond me.
My brother in law is lead scientist working on the virus for the UK Government, they’re expecting 1 year confinement to make it work, or 6 months depending if the summer helps to reduce the impact of the virus. Might be more if there is a 2nd wave.
Hopefully you have available cash in hand to sustain during this period.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

FL320 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:46 amHopefully you have available cash in hand to sustain during this period.
Governments are unhesitantly taking steps to mitigate the financial consequences that would have been criminal two months ago, but are now absolutely necessary. Don't think for a minute they don't know what's at risk and have factored that into their decisions.

RippleRock
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by RippleRock »

I'm just saying that there are --OTHER WAYS--- to get through this than lock down the entire country. They're starting to crack down on individuals walking in the park for Christ's sake.

Why can we not isolate the vulnerable and elderly instead of everyone???

Science and the numbers have shown that healthy individuals and children especially are at little relative risk. Will this be the worlds reaction to the next SARS like virus that comes out the wet-markets? Because they won't shut them down, and the next one isn't an "if" but a "when".

I doubt our economy could stand "round two, or three", if we make it through this one.

FL320
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by FL320 »

Rockie wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:55 am
FL320 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:46 amHopefully you have available cash in hand to sustain during this period.
Governments are unhesitantly taking steps to mitigate the financial consequences that would have been criminal two months ago, but are now absolutely necessary. Don't think for a minute they don't know what's at risk and have factored that into their decisions.
It’s not their money and it’s not for free. We will collectively pay for it later, mid class citizen will become poor and low class citizen will be broken; I have no doubt it’s been factored in the collateral damage section.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

RippleRock wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:57 am Why can we not isolate the vulnerable and elderly instead of everyone???
Because even if you isolate the vulnerable and elderly, enough not-elderly and not-vulnerable people need intensive treatment that hospitals will still be overwhelmed and the health system will still collapse, which will have disastrous consequences for anyone who needs healthcare, which is, basically, everyone.

"Close to 40% of hospitalized COVID-19 patients in the U.S. are aged 20 to 54" says this report:
https://globalnews.ca/news/6704349/us-c ... er-adults/

You may volunteer to run the risk of a cough and shortness of breath, but if you need intubation and mechanical ventilation you will be queuing at the hospital door with everyone else.

Secondly, a large proportion of people who are vulnerable and elderly will decide they can't afford to or don't want to isolate themselves, and they will still get sick, and still turn up at hospitals for treatment.

Thirdly, enough vulnerable and elderly people who are willing to isolate themselves still have to get food, and other personal and medical care, and will then get sick from their necessary contact from other people who are not isolating themselves. With the same results.

Last edited by photofly on Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

RippleRock wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:57 am I'm just saying that there are --OTHER WAYS--- to get through this than lock down the entire country. They're starting to crack down on individuals walking in the park for Christ's sake.

Why can we not isolate the vulnerable and elderly instead of everyone???
When we can safely do that at the advice of the experts I'm sure we will, until then - again at the advice of experts - no.
FL320 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:04 am It’s not their money and it’s not for free.
You seriously think the government doesn't know that when they implement these measures?

RippleRock
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by RippleRock »

Some posting here are retired, with a house and Harley paid off, so some aren't in the same position as most of us.

Many here have young children, or College tuition looming and large mortgage payments. Within 6-months a lot of us will be on the brink of insolvency.

Not only will we have to recover our own finances over years, but we will have to pick up the tab for the Governments choices over decades as well.

There has to be a better way of protecting the vulnerable than crashing the economic engine that runs the free world.

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

Let's put it this way: do you believe the work done by scientists in the design and build of your airplanes is adequate to ensure your and your passengers' safety? I have put my faith in them. It is no different here: shutting down is the LESSER of the evils we are faced, according to people who know this stuff. When I go flying, I prepare for my flight as best I can, to plan for any problem along the way. Generally, that works for us. THIS pandemic is no different. Surely, you can see the parallels? You cannot decide what to believe and what not to believe, when it comes down to design of a piece of machinery: you have to go with the "experts", because they know more than you, hands down. Do you pull up or push down at the stall? Do you pull up, just because everyone else says to push down, and they must be in some kind of conspiracy together, just to screw me around? No, you do what you are trained to do, just like now during this crisis.

People have to get off this idea that this is some kind of government plot, designed to ruin lives on purpose. The contrary.

Only isolating elderly and vulnerable is not adequate. Anybody who promotes only this, does not understand how these people actually live, and how viruses spread. They shut down care homes all the time for a lot less than this virus, and it still doesn't work half the time.

If you think other methods are better, though, feel free to contact your local MP, and he will pass it on to the right people. He will immediately ask your qualifications: at this point, you can say: I am a pilot. I go on the internet all the time, and know a lot of people, some in other countries. He will say: "I will get right on that"...

Aux1
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Aux1 »

RippleRock wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:24 am
Many here have young children, or College tuition looming and large mortgage payments. Within 6-months a lot of us will be on the brink of insolvency.

There has to be a better way of protecting the vulnerable than crashing the economic engine that runs the free world.
If the choice is family or finances... which would you choose?

Some people need to extract heads from A**.

FL320
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by FL320 »

Aux1 wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:17 am
RippleRock wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:24 am

If the choice is family or finances... which would you choose?

Some people need to extract heads from A**.
Please explain how you plan to take care of your family without money? Without finance your family is dead. In our society everything has a cost my dear, even your death: “ Some people need to extract heads from A**”

*I fully agree with the government’s decision; I just want to point out that the economic consequences might be catastrophic for many people especially for those who don’t have the money to ride the storm (ie disposable cash equivalent to at least a year)

Last edited by FL320 on Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:41 am, edited 5 times in total.
Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

RippleRock wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 8:24 amThere has to be a better way of protecting the vulnerable than crashing the economic engine that runs the free world.
What you're feeling RippleRock is fear, which is perfectly normal given that nothing like this has ever happened in any of our lifetimes. And even the last event of this type 100 years ago didn't have the instant communications, 100% TV news coverage and social media misinformation and fear mongering we deal with today. It would be abnormal to not be fearful...I know I am.

But we need to trust the science on this. We need to trust the authorities that say we absolutely have to take these measures or things will be much, much worse. We need to act in unison and with purpose. It is the fastest and least painful way to put this god-damned virus behind us.

Aux1
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Aux1 »

"In a Pandemic, Political Polarization Could Kill People" NYU psychology professor Jay Van Bavel refers to that pivot point as a "reality constraint" on beliefs. In other words, people can disregard reality for a remarkably long time according to motivational reasoning, at least until it comes butting right up against their own personal lives.

I think Rockie hits the nail on the head his post above.

Stay healthy and look after those you care for most.

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

It'll be some months, but once they have a viable vaccine in circulation things will recover quite quickly imo

Kaykay
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Kaykay »

There is no question that this is going to cost the world dearly financially speaking. My first thought every time a new benefit or stimulus or aid package is announced is “who is paying for it?” The answer is as it always is; those who pay tax. Make no mistake about that, we will all pay for what is being spent.

However, how many times as a Pilot have you told a passenger that a flight is going to go a certain way for a reason? You’re the expert in that circumstance and any reasonable passenger is going to trust the expert’s opinion. This is a Pilot’s turn to listen to the experts and follow their advice. Might be a shock that the Pilots are NOT the experts in this case but I’m sure you’ll get over it.

No matter how smart any one of us thinks we are, we chose to be experts at flying aircraft. This does not make us experts at global pandemics and health care matters. Let those experts guide the decisions being made just as we all make decisions in our own fields of expertise.

2R
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by 2R »

One gauge is still in the green , all other guages are indicating something else is going on , which guage is faulty .

Which data will you use ?

The data is not a small flicker on the panel over the jungle at night to paraphrase E Gant , this is big and the lies being told are bigger.

Kejidog
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Kejidog »

scabbydoo wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:18 pm
The only good thing in all of this is the ending of the sjw bullshit around lgbtxyz “rights” and fucking tranz shit
The only good thing in all of this is the potential for it to wipe out oxygen thieves like yourself. Thank you for being a prime example of how the herd needs to be thinned.
Ok i get it. I can rail all i want about trump and his idiot supporters with impunity but go off on your favorite special interest one issue attention whores and I’m a bad person.

And while all you crybabies are staying home posting on the internet i’ll be out working my job as a first responder attending all your little needs and accidents. Ya bunch of pussies

Dear moderator you may as well delete my account from this cesspool of groupthink.

corethatthermal
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by corethatthermal »

we need to trust the science on this. We need to trust the authorities that say
You can listen to the experts or the authorities NOT both !

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

corethatthermal wrote: Fri Apr 10, 2020 5:40 pm
we need to trust the science on this. We need to trust the authorities that say
You can listen to the experts or the authorities NOT both !
Smart authorities listen to the experts, emphasize what they say and back it up with resources and policies only the authorities can provide.

In Canada we have smart authorities as do most other countries. The US, not so much.

Return to “Air Canada”