Coronavirus Numbers

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Coronavirus Numbers

Post by altiplano »

Rockie wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:59 pm Salt of the earth, friendly folks take guns to protests to what...be friendly? I personally know lots of friendly folks and none of them feel it’s necessary to carry weapons in public. And I’ll ask again, what or who are they going to shoot?
You don't have to understand them. I don't think they are planning on shooting anyone.
---------- ADS -----------

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

altiplano wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:34 pm
Rockie wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 6:59 pm Salt of the earth, friendly folks take guns to protests to what...be friendly? I personally know lots of friendly folks and none of them feel it’s necessary to carry weapons in public. And I’ll ask again, what or who are they going to shoot?
You don't have to understand them. I don't think they are planning on shooting anyone.
A lot I don’t understand about American gun culture other than to say it was horrific to read about Sandy Hook , even today.

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

America-bashing is getting so old and boring....

blah blah blah

Is it because bashing literally anyone else is racist now?

corethatthermal
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by corethatthermal »

The gun carriers would show how wise they are if they had employed spacing and masks for all !!!

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

'97 Tercel wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:21 pm America-bashing is getting so old and boring....

blah blah blah

I didn’t say racist, I said stupid. But we can certainly have the racist conversation about the US later if you want. Right now though you might have heard about this pandemic thing threatening the world. It requires brains and intelligent action to get through the next year if the world is to return to anything like normal. Not people thinking they’re immune because they’re “covered in Jesus’s blood” (yes, really) or whipped into a dim witted frenzy thinking their rights are being violated and showing up in front of state legislatures en masse and armed. Why armed? Isn’t violating and protesting lifesaving emergency measures stupid enough?

These people are not unique in the US. Despite wiping his ass every morning with the constitution and spending the rest of the day bulldozing through laws, enriching himself with public money and corrupting the entire US government from the top down, 40% of Americans still will never leave Trump. They will do what he says no matter how stupid or dangerous it is to them. It’s those people Trump is triggering when he tweets “LIBERATE MINNESOTA”. I mean come on, it’s not like any of this is hidden. Trump and his millions of worshippers revel in it all day, every day.

In normal circumstances the US is now a threat to us all, with stupidity in command in Washington during a global pandemic that is especially true. Because of the 40%.

Even Doug Ford recognizes it.

CL-Skadoo!
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by CL-Skadoo! »

altiplano wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 7:34 pm
I don't think they are planning on shooting anyone.
I’m strangely obsessed with chocolate; love it, grew up with it, favourite treat, it’s part of my culture. I carry a big chocolate bar around inside my jacket pocket at all times, but I never plan on eating it. Nope nope nope...yea right. If my stomach makes one gurgle between meals I’m pulling that sucker out and discharging it into my face. Who are you kidding?

I spent almost seven years living and working in the states. Great people, some crazies. The crazies have been slowly taking over; so slowly that it was hard to identify. Now I visit and I barely recognize our once favourite second home. After this is through, they won’t get one leisure dime from me.

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

I too spent a bit of time living down there, and I got the same impression. The have-nots are really down, and there are a lot of them. We have it pretty good here; sure it can always be improved, and there are many people suffering here too, but we seem to have better mental health services, or something. However, I see on here there are exceptions to everything.

The US is a great place, but right now, it seems to be run by populist drivel, and thanks to Rupert Murdoch, we get to hear it every day. He is to blame for a lot of this, to me, using the template he used to run the UK press, and he isn't even American, OR English for that matter. Makes you wonder...

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

'97 Tercel wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 10:21 pm America-bashing is getting so old and boring....

blah blah blah

Right?

This has nothing to do with any mass shootings. And clearly these people weren't planning on shooting anyone because they didn't. Open carry with plans to do something unlawful is unlawful in itself.

Rights and freedoms aren't temporary things. They are entitlements and guarantees. They aren't something you can take away.

dialdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by dialdriver »

Looks like they are planning the next civil war actually - with Trump's encouragement:

“LIBERATE MINNESOTA!” “LIBERATE MICHIGAN!” “LIBERATE VIRGINIA, and save your great 2nd Amendment,” the President of the United States wrote Friday. “It is under siege!”

People involved in those protests — which are being backed or promoted in part by anti-vaccination groups and anti-government funds linked to the Kochs — are already seeing it as a literal call to arms, according to NBC.

Daniel Cooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Daniel Cooper »

According to NBC. I see the media is using themselves as a source again.

goldeneagle
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goldeneagle »

Old fella wrote: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:10 pm A lot I don’t understand about American gun culture other than to say it was horrific to read about Sandy Hook , even today.
The various shelter at home orders have indeed accomplished something. 2020 is the first time in 12 years that there has not been a school shooting during March in the USA. The gun toting rednecks will be proud of that one.

Like you, I'll never understand the gun culture they have down south. My sister-in-law was at a concert in Vegas a couple years back, the guy standing next to her took a bullet in the neck. She and her husband were lucky, they got out of the area with only some scratches, folks they were travelling with that week were not so lucky, spent a few days in the hospital in Vegas with gunshot wounds before he was well enough to travel back to Canada. Apparently this kind of stuff is ok to most Americans, they go on and on defending the rights of the shooter and basically tell the victims 'thats the risk of going to an event in Vegas'.

rxl
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by rxl »

altiplano wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 5:18 am
Right?

This has nothing to do with any mass shootings. And clearly these people weren't planning on shooting anyone because they didn't. Open carry with plans to do something unlawful is unlawful in itself.

Rights and freedoms aren't temporary things. They are entitlements and guarantees. They aren't something you can take away.

“Open carry with plans to do something unlawful is unlawful in itself.”
Really?
Doesn’t that point to a big problem with someone carrying a firearm?
How do you know what’s going on inside those heads?
The fact that some random civilian or group of civilians has/have the tool to take away a life in an instant strapped to their sides doesn’t generate what I would call “respect” ... more like fear, intimidation and mistrust.
What kind of “freedom” does that result in?

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Old fella »

Deleted- double post.

Last edited by Old fella on Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Old fella »

Old fella wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:51 am
dialdriver wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:29 am Looks like they are planning the next civil war actually - with Trump's encouragement:

“LIBERATE MINNESOTA!” “LIBERATE MICHIGAN!” “LIBERATE VIRGINIA, and save your great 2nd Amendment,” the President of the United States wrote Friday. “It is under siege!”

People involved in those protests — which are being backed or promoted in part by anti-vaccination groups and anti-government funds linked to the Kochs — are already seeing it as a literal call to arms, according to NBC.
I am into my 70s and the ole US of A always had turmoil as I see it. I’ll start with the Vietnam war, Kent State student killings, Pentagon Papers, Watergate and Nixon getting the boot and everything in between. I remember those times like yesterday. Americans got into that crazy ‘60s Asian war, we stayed away, they can pack arms publicly, we can’t, they have low tax, we have Medicare, they hang, electrocute , inject as punishment, we don’t. Their Government is Congressional, we are Parliamentary. That’s been the way, always was, is now and will be - none of us will change. Been hearing these debates, what... 10yrs.....20yrs...30yrs...40yrs in some shape or form.

:drinkers:

rxl
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by rxl »

Old fella wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:01 am
Old fella wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:51 am
dialdriver wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 6:29 am Looks like they are planning the next civil war actually - with Trump's encouragement:

I am into my 70s and the ole US of A always had turmoil as I see it. I’ll start with the Vietnam war, Kent State student killings, Pentagon Papers, Watergate and Nixon getting the boot and everything in between. I remember those times like yesterday. Americans got into that crazy ‘60s Asian war, we stayed away, they can pack arms publicly, we can’t, they have low tax, we have Medicare, they hang, electrocute , inject as punishment, we don’t. Their Government is Congressional, we are Parliamentary. That’s been the way, always was, is now and will be - none of us will change. Been hearing these debates, what... 10yrs.....20yrs...30yrs...40yrs in some shape or form.

:drinkers:
I'm in my '60s and was/am keenly aware of all of the turmoil in the USA thanks to the almost overwhelming influence of their media. This is the first time that I can recall The President of the United States actually encourage revolt against individual states.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by Old fella »

Trump is a presidential abomination as compared to other POTUS that I can remember. I could even go back as far as JFK.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

This guy "says it like it is". Isn't that what Trump supporters admire?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1t-GzuZukQs

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

rxl wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:50 am
Right?

Really?
The fact that some random civilian or group of civilians has/have the tool to take away a life in an instant strapped to their sides doesn’t generate what I would call “respect” ... more like fear, intimidation and mistrust.
I'm not saying I encourage it, but I understand they are trying to express themselves and it's their right.

Do you think that open carry of unrestricted firearms is illegal in Canada?

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

I think it is an inalienable right to run out into traffic and get hit by a truck, but that doesn't mean it is necessarily a good idea. People have to look and see whether something is a net positive, or a net negative. It has become more important to be famous, than to be accomplished. At the same time, I think it is important to ask some of these questionable groups what their REAL goals and wants are. But it has also become the norm to just think of ME, and spout off endlessly. He said. I think I need a job or something.

rxl
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by rxl »

altiplano wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:28 pm
rxl wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 7:50 am
Right?

Really?
I'm not saying I encourage it, but I understand they are trying to express themselves and it's their right.

Do you think that open carry of unrestricted firearms is illegal in Canada?
They absolutely have the right to peacefully express their perceived grievance (as ignorant and arrogant as that grievance is) and I'll grant that likely there was no plan to shoot anyone. But once again, how do you know what's going on inside of people's heads? Unless you want to intimidate someone with the not so veiled lethal threat of an AR-15 in their face, why bring firearms? If you're not intending to use those firearms, what purpose do they fulfil at this sort of a demonstration? How does that promote your cause? Seems to me like nothing more than a bullying tactic of the worst possible kind.

Open carry in Canada? I have nothing whatsoever to do with firearms so I honestly don't know what the regulations are. I suspect that in the context of hunting in rural areas, it's legal. Other than that, open carry is well outside of any accepted social norm in Canada that I'm aware of and I suspect that it is highly illegal.

Return to “Air Canada”