Coronavirus Numbers

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Coronavirus Numbers

Post by Rockie »

Retirement homes don’t live in a complete bubble Pelmet, they have staff, they have deliveries. How do you protect the vulnerable while you let this infection spread without knowing who has it? How do you keep health services from being overwhelmed?

I’ll ask you the same question, are you going to choose who among your family dies? How do you know your parents don’t have some unknown underlying condition that will kill them? What about your Grandparents? Maybe your own immune system is weak from living your life in a basement and you just don’t know it.

Reopening is a risk even with testing and tracing and must be very carefully done. Without testing and tracing it’s just stupidity and most people with a brain are unwilling to be test subjects until all possible precautions have been taken.

Herd immunity advocates should for the sake of humanity just shut the hell up until they have a plan for reaching that goal without killing millions of people.
---------- ADS -----------

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

Rockie wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:53 am Retirement homes don’t live in a complete bubble Pelmet, they have staff, they have deliveries. How do you protect the vulnerable while you let this infection spread without knowing who has it? How do you keep health services from being overwhelmed?

I’ll ask you the same question, are you going to choose who among your family dies? How do you know your parents don’t have some unknown underlying condition that will kill them? What about your Grandparents? Maybe your own immune system is weak from living your life in a basement and you just don’t know it.

Reopening is a risk even with testing and tracing and must be very carefully done. Without testing and tracing it’s just stupidity and most people with a brain are unwilling to be test subjects until all possible precautions have been taken.

Herd immunity advocates should for the sake of humanity just shut the hell up until they have a plan for reaching that goal without killing millions of people.
I’ll go one further, those in favour of herd immunity should put their money where their mouth is, go seek out covid positive people and allow them to infect you, let us homebodies know how it works out for you!
There is still so much not known about this virus,
https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j&q= ... eSXnn5nt80

The patient’s chart appeared unremarkable at first glance. He took no medications and had no history of chronic conditions. He had been feeling fine, hanging out at home during the lockdown like the rest of the country, when suddenly, he had trouble talking and moving the right side of his body. Imaging showed a large blockage on the left side of his head.
Oxley gasped when he got to the patient’s age and covid-19 status: 44, positive.
The man was among several recent stroke patients in their 30s to 40s who were all infected with the coronavirus. The median age for that type of severe stroke is 74

https://www.forbes.com/sites/robertglat ... f0b26d34df

Why Is COVID-19 Coronavirus Causing Strokes In Young And Middle-Aged People

In a letter to be published online April 29 in the New England Journal of Medicine, researchers from Mount Sinai in New York City describe five COVID-19 patients who suffered large vessel strokes over a 2-week period, all under the age of 50, according to reporting by Medscape Medical News. Of the five patients the series, one patient died, one is still hospitalized, one was discharged home, while two are still in rehabilitation. What’s also striking is that the five patients either had mild or no symptoms of COVID-19. The study was led by Dr. Thomas Oxley, from the Department of Neurosurgery at Mount Sinai Health System
Who wants to be the guinea pig? Riplerock, Pelmet, you interested in being the test case?

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Lockdown was never about everyone not getting Coronavirus. It was about flattening the curve so everyone didn't get it at once...

Seems we did that. Now lock down the vulnerable, which they did a piss poor job doing as it represents a majority of the deaths, and let's get on with it.

And certainly stop ticketing people by themselves or with their kids in public spaces!

2R
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by 2R »

50 milion dead in the Spanish Flu pandemic in 36 months . We are only at week ?
What was learned . Quarantine worked . Masks helped .
Parades not a good idea .
New Zealand seems to have some success
Vietnam has very few cases
Taiwan has a good result so far
Sweden's strategy might not work for much longer as their death rates as going up now.

Just remember it is not a World War until France officially surrenders , and their Prime Minister's recent suggestions are not quite a full on surrender , yet. Only a mere collaboration in helping the virus to kill and cripple .

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Rockie wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:53 am Retirement homes don’t live in a complete bubble Pelmet, they have staff, they have deliveries. How do you protect the vulnerable while you let this infection spread without knowing who has it? How do you keep health services from being overwhelmed?
A real iron ring. Double the pay(by government) of the people who work there and who have to stay there for a week(or perhaps two weeks) at a time. Workers may not be happy about it but the emergency legislation does not cover their pay if they quit(lives are at stake and they need a job so they will mostly stay and do what so many pilots did-a rotational job). No one else in or out except carefully controlled. Everything including the people are sprayed down with disinfectant when going in. The military is already helping out in several jurisdictions, so the precedent has been set. Sounds extreme but these are extreme times.

Health services almost everywhere in North America never became overwhelmed. Even NYC did not run out of ventilators. The target is continuing the flattened curve for a year or so hospitals while busy are not overloaded. That is why all vulnerable people are quarantined(including you). meanwhile herd immunity approaches.
Rockie wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:53 am I’ll ask you the same question, are you going to choose who among your family dies? How do you know your parents don’t have some unknown underlying condition that will kill them? What about your Grandparents? Maybe your own immune system is weak from living your life in a basement and you just don’t know it.
Like the increased number of people who will die once we get more cars on the roads(who would not have died if we stayed locked down)...we don't know who it will be. That is just the way it is. I accept I might be in a car crash, I accept that I might die from Covid-19.
Rockie wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:53 am Reopening is a risk even with testing and tracing and must be very carefully done. Without testing and tracing it’s just stupidity and most people with a brain are unwilling to be test subjects until all possible precautions have been taken.

The economy is too important. Plenty of people are willing to go out and work. Perhaps those unwilling and not in a risk group can have minimal pay and reduced pensions to just barely get along while their money is transferred to those willing to work and need two weeks off for actual sickness.

This herd advocate has the Quebec government listening(glad I sent out ideas a few weeks ago). It is the best of all the bad options.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

I see what you're saying, but you can't lock someone down to work under threat of duress (lose job) in a retirement home.

But if people want to lock down with residents to work for premium, all the power to them, lots of people like to play the "front line worker martyr" card in all this so some might relish in it...

Testing, testing, testing, PPE, best practises, lock down and isolate residents from each other, staff education, and responsibility, there are ways to effectively isolate

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

pelmet wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:33 am I accept that I might die from Covid-19.
Meaningless bullshit unless you say it just before you actually die from Covid 19. You also haven’t said if you accept your family dying from Covid 19. Have you asked them or are you going to choose who the lucky Pelmet family member is that steps up to die?

Hypocrite.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Rockie wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:59 am
pelmet wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:33 am I accept that I might die from Covid-19.
Meaningless bullshit unless you say it just before you actually die from Covid 19. You also haven’t said if you accept your family dying from Covid 19. Have you asked them or are you going to choose who the lucky Pelmet family member is that steps up to die?

Hypocrite.
I accept that anyone could die from this including my family members. But best efforts through continuing quarantine will be made. I have accepted flu deaths and car accident deaths for years.

That is reality. Life goes on.

Waiting for the next statement of meaningless bullshit.

Another politician(on the federal level) has been contacted with my herd immunity idea and how to go about it. He was receptive.

It is nice to have influence.

Last edited by pelmet on Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

altiplano wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:46 am I see what you're saying, but you can't lock someone down to work under threat of duress (lose job) in a retirement home.

But if people want to lock down with residents to work for premium, all the power to them, lots of people like to play the "front line worker martyr" card in all this so some might relish in it...

Testing, testing, testing, PPE, best practises, lock down and isolate residents from each other, staff education, and responsibility, there are ways to effectively isolate
People can quit with loss of all government funding. Others will take the work for great pay. Spray 'em down when they enter for their two week rotation. Emergency powers can be used to mandate work rules. This is an emergency.

Testing is prioritized to these workers as we do not have enough of them now. Test every day(or more).

People like Rockie need to actually think, instead of panic and insult.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

I disagree.

Violating people's rights is not justified.

If you want that ability to lock employees down in those positions, then you better write it into the employment contract for next time. But you can't tell me I can't go home or I'm fired if that's not my job.

If you can rotate in on a biweekly basis, you can rotate in your shifts daily. Isolation protocols are well established in locations around the world where people go home after their shift.

You mention not panicking. But your response of revoking people's rights and livelihoods, to suspending all Government funding, to ruining people, to support your "emergency" is exactly that.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

I'll add. These homes are meant to be specialized facilities to deal with health vulnerable people. That they didn't have existing protocols in place ahead of this - because everyone knew someday a pandemic flu would come - is a farce.

We routinely see Norwalk and Flu outbreaks in these homes, a dozen dead here, another dozen there, so there is nothing new happening here, it's just so many of them at once.

My grandmother died several years back, along with another 6 or 8 folks, after getting a Norwalk-like virus in a home we were paying $8000 or $9000/mo plus a bill a mile long for incidentals every month for... so I know how it goes... I know this particular home was relatively expensive, but at that price, or even less, for a room with a bathroom, that these places don't have the plan and measures already in place for something like this is almost negligence.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

pelmet wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:07 amI accept that anyone could die from this including my family members. I have accepted flu deaths and car accident deaths for years.
Holy shit Pelmet!

Between this and you actually believing you’re swaying government policy all by yourself...you need help buddy.

And you can add your creepy obsession with me to the list as well.

Last edited by Rockie on Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavir ... -1.4916255

OTTAWA -- The Mental Health Commission of Canada is offering free online mental health programs to essential workers struggling with the emotional and psychological strain of COVID-19.

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

altiplano wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:29 am I disagree.

If you want that ability to lock employees down in those positions, then you better write it into the employment contract for next time. But you can't tell me I can't go home or I'm fired if that's not my job.

If you can rotate in on a biweekly basis, you can rotate in your shifts daily. Isolation protocols are well established in locations around the world where people go home after their shift.

You mention not panicking. But your response of revoking people's rights and livelihoods, to suspending all Government funding, to ruining people, to support your "emergency" is exactly that.

I said people can quit if they want. After all, the rules of the job have changed. Just like the government changes the regs for pilots, it isn't written into your next contract...it is followed immediately upon implementation. Think of this idea for old folks homes as extended duty time. Don't like it...quit. Someone else will take your job at twice the pay.

Your right to go home every night is second to the lives in the old folks home. Emergency powers can be used to ensure compliance or the notwithstanding clause. As a worker at that place, you won't get much sympathy if you complain. Considering that we are locked down at home, get tickets in the park for releasing a dog of its leash, etc.....it seems like the general tone of freedoms/rights has been set.

Peoples lives/rights sometimes get revoked. One only need to look at the draft which has been done in Canada. Consider this as similar with lives being lost that can be saved by people drafted for longer times at work followed by longer times off.

Just talked to a politician today but he is a relative of an in-law, so easy to access. Very receptive and involved in this subject.

Your welcome Rockie, I do enjoy proving you ideas as wrong or foolish(and usually both).

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

Interesting conversation and commentary for sure. Personally I am of the view the pandemic issues going back to the 1968 Hong Kong flu(which I remember) seem to related to animals. We here in the Western world consume way to much meat matter of fact much of the fast food industry is based on meat consumption. The idea of eating animals going forward from 2020 is certainly going to be questionable, from the Asian wet markets to the mass production slaughter houses on this side. I am seeing a generational shift now , gradual that it is from meat consumption to a more plant based diet. The meat and potatoes my age generation is fading away.

2R
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by 2R »

The only numbers that will count are the R0 numbers .
Without a vaccine or treatment , low R0 numbers will be required .
They numbers are very difficult to get because of the different ways the virus is presenting itself in different communities . One US Navy ship did not have any symptoms until they had left port for a month.

Germany had lowering R0 numbers yesterday and moved to open ,the R0 are going up again today, and they are slowing down the re-opening today, and considering another lockdown .

The R0 numbers seem to be missing from most MSM reports . I have seen them as low .9 and as high as 5.7

To think , that this particular Pandemic could have been prevented with a little honesty .

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

pelmet wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:24 am
altiplano wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:29 am I disagree.

I said people can quit if they want. After all, the rules of the job have changed. Just like the government changes the regs for pilots, it isn't written into your next contract...it is followed immediately upon implementation. Think of this idea for old folks homes as extended duty time. Don't like it...quit. Someone else will take your job at twice the pay.

Your right to go home every night is second to the lives in the old folks home. Emergency powers can be used to ensure compliance or the notwithstanding clause. As a worker at that place, you won't get much sympathy if you complain. Considering that we are locked down at home, get tickets in the park for releasing a dog of its leash, etc.....it seems like the general tone of freedoms/rights has been set.

Peoples lives/rights sometimes get revoked. One only need to look at the draft which has been done in Canada. Consider this as similar with lives being lost that can be saved by people drafted for longer times at work followed by longer times off.

Just talked to a politician today but he is a relative of an in-law, so easy to access. Very receptive and involved in this subject.

Your welcome Rockie, I do enjoy proving you ideas as wrong or foolish(and usually both).
You're batshit crazy.

Might as well being back the draft aswell.

That's not the society we live in. That's not the society I want to live in where the government or employers can pressure and control people with threats. That's the undoing of our freedom and values, might as well pack up and move to China now...

People are single parents, have dogs, responsibilities, lives, other things and people to support outside their work. You can't just sequester them indefinitely because you declare an emergency and threaten to take their livelihoods away and withhold benefits if they don't fold. That's called duress and it's against the laws of a civilized free society.

If that's the job it has to be hired for, or negotiated, and made clear up front. 5 day rotations, whatever.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

altiplano wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:31 pm You're batshit crazy.
Being PC I said he needs help, but admittedly your description is better. When you're right, you're right.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Rockie wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 3:31 pm
altiplano wrote: Wed Apr 29, 2020 1:31 pm You're batshit crazy.
Being PC I said he needs help, but admittedly your description is better. When you're right, you're right.
Weeee, I'm batshit crazy but Rockie thinks he is intelligent by keeping the economy almost completely closed until there is a vaccine which could be a year or two. Imagine the country then.

Folks, I am right and the economy is being opened just as I said it should be......without a vaccine and without listening to the so-called experts and getting herd immunity(more so in some areas than others).....just like I said it should be done.

As for Rockie and his type....did you ever notice the strange coincidence that they are man-made global warming freaks who, I suspect, love what is happening to the economy.

Last edited by pelmet on Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Air Canada”