Layoffs

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

goldeneagle
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Re: Layoffs

Post by goldeneagle »

Hangry wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:13 pm
goldeneagle wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:47 pm
altiplano wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:19 pm Get back in your lane, or maybe go back to website design.
You better get into the unemployment line, because that's going to be your lane for a while me thinks.
what an ignorant thing to say. Are you happy pilots may be laid off?
I see, it's fine for him to start telling folks 'in your lane' but for others to explain to him that was an ignorant comment by essentially telling him the same thing, that's not ok around here. So be it. He's still an ignorant prick posing that kind of crap, and deserves it thrown right back at him.
---------- ADS -----------

Curiousflyer
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Curiousflyer »

Dry Guy wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:35 pm What happens to flight attendants is a completely different ball game to pilots. Only one of them can be re-trained in an afternoon of operating door handles.
True, but it appears they’ll get EI, health benefits, and travel benefits. I doubt any pilot that gets lay off notice will get that. Seems like a great package for FA’s

Jean-Pierre
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jean-Pierre »

You better get into the unemployment line, because that's going to be your lane for a while me thinks.
Wow I wouldn't wish unemployment on any fellow pilot.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

altiplano wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 4:19 pm Get back in your lane, or maybe go back to website design.
LOL. Good one.

I'll not have a GA pilot tell me what my sensibilities are our how this business works. That guy is clueless, and he has displayed it previously.

I'll set the brake every time in support of my colleagues and seniority, I know 97.5% of my colleagues would do it for me.

Oxi
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Oxi »

Curiousflyer wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:23 pm
Dry Guy wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:35 pm What happens to flight attendants is a completely different ball game to pilots. Only one of them can be re-trained in an afternoon of operating door handles.
True, but it appears they’ll get EI, health benefits, and travel benefits. I doubt any pilot that gets lay off notice will get that. Seems like a great package for FA’s
They just dont get paid for April if they apart of the certain numbers. Then for May they are figuring out mitigation strategies to avoid layoffs. All the benefits and seniority etc. Is this getting laid off or just off no pay? fake news

Eric Janson
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Eric Janson »

A 100% shutdown is a very real possibility imho - plenty of Airlines where this is already the case.

Seniority is moot in this scenario - everyone gets laid off.

My contract and roster have already been cancelled - waiting to see what happens next. Looks like I will still be flying but It is increasingly difficult to travel - the aircraft I normally fly is based on the other side of the World.

Always fly a stable approach - it's the only stability you'll find in this business
Gino Under
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Gino Under »

It’s simple

Attachments
361C6E14-E9E9-45FC-9D6C-8C3A444F3399.jpeg
361C6E14-E9E9-45FC-9D6C-8C3A444F3399.jpeg (209.02 KiB) Viewed 1666 times
FL-280
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by FL-280 »

Some woman must have made that quote.... only men got drafted for both world wars.

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

FL-280 wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:51 am Some woman must have made that quote.... only men got drafted for both world wars.
Ya Women didn't do anything for the war effort like ferry airplanes overseas, work in factories, work as nurses on the front lines... all men :rolleyes:

Curiousflyer
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Curiousflyer »

Oxi wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:29 pm
Curiousflyer wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 7:23 pm
They just dont get paid for April if they apart of the certain numbers. Then for May they are figuring out mitigation strategies to avoid layoffs. All the benefits and seniority etc. Is this getting laid off or just off no pay? fake news
They can collect EI for April.

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

goldeneagle wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:47 pm You better get into the unemployment line, because that's going to be your lane for a while me thinks.
And you are the one on another AvCanada forum saying that I degrade the forum. How about leaving permanently.

And how about giving some support to people whose jobs are on the line. This Goldeneagle clown claims he was a chief pilot as well. We can see what kind.

All the best to AC pilots and hoping for a quick turn-around.

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

FFS, guys! We're all in this together. Please try a little less sniping, and practice a little more kindness. :goodman:

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
FL-280
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by FL-280 »

fish4life wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:46 am
FL-280 wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:51 am Some woman must have made that quote.... only men got drafted for both world wars.
Ya Women didn't do anything for the war effort like ferry airplanes overseas, work in factories, work as nurses on the front lines... all men :rolleyes:
I clearly said “drafted” I used that specific word for a reason. “Forced to go to war” , no woman was drafted.

cloak
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by cloak »

Some thoughts and comments expressed here are the reason why AC pilots have the image they do in the industry! Understandably tough times, but one does not necessarily have to speak when one doesn't know how to express one's fear and frustration of the unknown tactfully and wisely!

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

How's that cloak?

CPT.HarshColdReality
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CPT.HarshColdReality »

March 20, 2020
Notice of Layoffs and Next Steps

Ladies and Gentlemen,

The Company has served the Association with formal notice of their intention to lay off Pilots. The notice did not state the number of Pilots that they were contemplating, or when individual notices would be sent. The Company also advised us that they would be invoking section 6-1.12 of the Collective Agreement, which reduces the layoff notification timelines from effectively 90-days to 30-days.

As of this moment, the Company has not sent layoff notices to Pilots.

As mentioned in my last message on Wednesday, the landscape continues to change at an unprecedented pace. We therefore believe that our best option has been to persuade the Company to avoid taking immediate action. If we can push layoffs into the future as much as possible, we increase our chances of reaching better solutions.

We are actively working on layoff mitigating strategies. We are aware that not having definitive answers right now is stressful. This is an unfortunate by-product of trying to negotiate the best possible outcome for you.

Knowing the strength of the ALPA organization, strength of your representatives and volunteers, and our collective history, I am confident in our ability to weather this storm and emerge a strong and unified pilot group.

Most importantly, I recognize that this news brings uncertainty and is unsettling for you and your families. This is not lost on myself nor your MEC.

In solidarity,
claudesignature_1009365.png
Captain Claude Buraglia

JAZ MEC Chairman

bcflyer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by bcflyer »

Why post that here? These are Jazz layoffs. Jazz has a forum. Perhaps post it there?

98 Corolla
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 98 Corolla »

bcflyer wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 11:57 am Why post that here? These are Jazz layoffs. Jazz has a forum. Perhaps post it there?
:lol: Why do I get the impression people are chomping at the bit to see Air Canada pilots get laid off?

tailgunner
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by tailgunner »

Cloak,
Care to elaborate, or are you just going to sling innuendos?

FL410AV8R
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FL410AV8R »

98 Corolla wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:41 pm :lol: Why do I get the impression people are chomping at the bit to see Air Canada pilots get laid off?
I don't believe anyone in their right mind wants to see any other pilot laid off and I didn't start this thread with that intention. I was genuinely curious as to plan for pilots at AC because my employer (WJ) had pretty quickly announced significant numbers of layoffs.

Other than a few posters this thread has been civil and generally informative. Let's keep it that way.

I have been on the street twice in my career so I know the anxiety being felt throughout pilot seniority lists around the world.

Return to “Air Canada”