Layoffs

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Raymond Hall
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Layoffs

Post by Raymond Hall »

I suspect that everyone here was hired after the last "force majeure" event that affected Air Canada pilots (1976 ATC bilingualism shutdown). It was called "off-duty status without pay," and was used to bypass the contractual requirements for lay-offs by reverse seniority, given the impossibility of retraining in the short-term.

From the Dictionary of Canadian Law:
[Force Majeure] Generally operates to discharge a contracting party when a supervening, sometimes supernatural, event, beyond the control of either party, makes performance impossible. The common thread is that of the unexpected, something beyond reasonable human foresight and skill.
---------- ADS -----------

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

FL410AV8R wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 4:42 pm
98 Corolla wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 12:41 pm :lol: Why do I get the impression people are chomping at the bit to see Air Canada pilots get laid off?
I don't believe anyone in their right mind wants to see any other pilot laid off and I didn't start this thread with that intention. I was genuinely curious as to plan for pilots at AC because my employer (WJ) had pretty quickly announced significant numbers of layoffs.

Other than a few posters this thread has been civil and generally informative. Let's keep it that way.

I have been on the street twice in my career so I know the anxiety being felt throughout pilot seniority lists around the world.
I’ve heard conflicting info. The news mentioned WJ pilot layoffs but someone else told me you negotiated some mitigation. Lower block months or something.

Which one is correct

FL410AV8R
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by FL410AV8R »

When I first posted it was 691 out of 1620 layoffs without any mitigation that had been announced. Since then our MEC has negotiated an MOA to mitigate layoffs but only until the end of April.

A reduction from 77.5 to 55 hours credit across the board and a few other compensation items, it means no-one gets laid off right now and there is some breathing room to see how the next few weeks unfold.

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

FL410AV8R wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:52 pm When I first posted it was 691 out of 1620 layoffs without any mitigation that had been announced. Since then our MEC has negotiated an MOA to mitigate layoffs but only until the end of April.

A reduction from 77.5 to 55 hours credit across the board and a few other compensation items, it means no-one gets laid off right now and there is some breathing room to see how the next few weeks unfold.
Good to hear. The 55 hours seems to becoming standard. Either that or complete shutdown.

Hearing rumours about Transat now as well.

So far AC is silent on pilots. Coming tho.

FL320
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by FL320 »

Fanblade wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:07 pm
FL410AV8R wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:52 pm When I first posted it was 691 out of 1620 layoffs without any mitigation that had been announced. Since then our MEC has negotiated an MOA to mitigate layoffs but only until the end of April.

Good to hear. The 55 hours seems to becoming standard. Either that or complete shutdown.

Transat just changed their plan and didn’t sign the LOU for reduced block. All pilots will be layoff april 19th

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

FL320 wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:14 pm

Transat just changed their plan and didn’t sign the LOU for reduced block. All pilots will be layoff april 19th
Ouch.

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

ACboi wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:22 pm this gonna be good for AC as this shows transat suffers worse and we can pull out of deal. sometimes theres light n darkness
Are you for real? I really hope your a troll and not an AC pilot

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

FL320 wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:14 pm

We've disagreed on these forums. But with sincerity, I'm very sorry to hear that. These are hard times for all of us to go through. I hope this curve gets planked, the fear subsides, and we all get back to doing what we do very soon.

FL320
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by FL320 »

ACboi wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:22 pm this gonna be good for AC as this shows transat suffers worse and we can pull out of deal. sometimes theres light n darkness
This virus just killed my grandma and my job. As a Transat pilot I am happy that this situation makes your life enjoyable...all the best.

TFTMB heavy
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by TFTMB heavy »

FL320 wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:48 pm
This virus just killed my grandma and my job. As a Transat pilot I am happy that this situation makes your life enjoyable...all the best.
Ne perds pas de temps et d'énergie à répondre à des trous de cul comme ça. Mes sympathies pour ta grand-mère.

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

My condolences FL320

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

FL320 wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 7:48 pm
I'm very sorry my friend. My condolences. (We're co-workers) Actually my grandmother as well, very likely. Just before the major outbreak so no testing.

This guy is just a troll account, I reported it, but it sickens me that a person could act like such a clown in the times we're all facing.

This forum used to be really good. A staple. There is still a lot of good discussion and info, but in recent times it's taken on an ignorant and immature form more reminiscent of a video game chatroom, which I'm sure several of the now-prominant posters are often in.
It seems like a larger proportion of the board now is mostly just a small number of guys, some with a bunch of usernames, who really have nothing to contribute at all to what the rest of us call a profession.

I'm embarrassed by the fact that this is a public forum, often visited by media and curious folk, and this is what they see. Utterly embarrassing. To those people browsing: Don't worry, 99% of professional pilots don't waste their time disparaging others, and circling the drain by posting 10 times a day.

Take care of each other. Now more than ever.

North Shore
Rank Moderator
Rank Moderator

Post by North Shore »

ACboi, you are cleared direct to the Victoria VOR, to hold west, outbound on 270. I'll call the inbound turn. Don't expect further clearance.

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?
Happiness is V1 at Thompson!
Ass, Licence, Job. In that order.
Daniel Cooper
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Daniel Cooper »

There may be a silver lining in that layoff notice for Transat pilots. If their management truly believes the deal with AC is going through at the price negotiated there is no reason to continue operating the company while losing money hand over fist. Better to sit back and wait for your $750 million payday.

FL-280
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by FL-280 »

How could they expect to get 720 mil for the company? Simply put: things have changed, a lot. Its not worth 720 million anymore, hell it might not even be worth 120 million.
Layoffs is one thing, but lease payments are lease payments. TS will bleed cash by mid year regardless of the workforce on staff or at home.

AC wont be buying ts, they will be buying whats left I think. Blood is in the water and CR is a shark.

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

Any AC pilot who think that there won't be mass layoffs, or that this will be over soon, are in complete denial about the scope of the crisis.

The infection numbers are just ramping up and a number of countries who decided not to take more drastic measures earlier are on the same - or even worse - statistical trajectories as Italy. And it is an utter horror show there. North America may be lagging but by how much. Days? Weeks at most?

Bickering about seniority is mind-blowing. Same mindset as hoarding toilet paper. Time to rearrange some priorities!

graph.png
graph.png (128.33 KiB) Viewed 2844 times

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Express carriers are parking significant number of aircraft and associated pilot layoffs.

Scope ratio won’t be an issue even with most of the mainline WB fleet parked.

Stu Pidasso
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Stu Pidasso »

We were still conducting interviews yesterday, don't forget the last equipment assignment showed almost 900 vacancies. I for one hope we follow the WJ model of going to significantly reduced blocks to keep everyone employed. Together with an early retirement package, LOA's, we have an excellent Flight Ops Management team and the best CEO in the business.

Hopefully take this ONE month at a time, we can spool up quickly once this passes. Which it will!

AC is probably in the best financial position of any major Airline.

avflyer
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by avflyer »

complexintentions wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:14 am Any AC pilot who think that there won't be mass layoffs, or that this will be over soon, are in complete denial about the scope of the crisis.

The infection numbers are just ramping up and a number of countries who decided not to take more drastic measures earlier are on the same - or even worse - statistical trajectories as Italy. And it is an utter horror show there. North America may be lagging but by how much. Days? Weeks at most?

Bickering about seniority is mind-blowing. Same mindset as hoarding toilet paper. Time to rearrange some priorities!

graph.png
Lets see what happens, layoffs or not. Life will go on.

TSAM
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by TSAM »

Last edited by TSAM on Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “Air Canada”