To everything There is a Season — What Are You Doing To Benefit From This Adversity?

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Raymond Hall
Rank 7
Rank 7

To everything There is a Season — What Are You Doing To Benefit From This Adversity?

Post by Raymond Hall »

Two perspectives, in song:

First, from the Byrds:

To everything turn, turn, turn
There is a season turn, turn, turn
And a time to every purpose
Under heaven...

Second, from Frank Sinatra:

So I'm down and so I'm out
But so are many others
So I feel like tryin' to hide
My head 'neath these covers
Life is like the seasons
After winter comes the spring
So I'll keep this smile awhile
And see what tomorrow brings

Time for self-reflection. Everywhere we look there are problems. Lots and lots of problems. Cancelled operations. Reduced flying. Potential lay-offs. No shortage of idle time. I would like to keep an optimistic perspective, despite all the gloom.

So, pray tell, what are your major concerns? What is your downside? How do you expect this crisis to affect your future?

On the flip side, are you converting this problem to an opportunity? What are you doing to take advantage of the circumstances? Improving family relations? Catching up on deferred projects? Taking a course? Learning a new language? Rebuilding your cottage?

What suggestions would you have for those who are less fortunate in these trying times?
---------- ADS -----------

telex
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: To everything There is a Season — What Are You Doing To Benefit From This Adversity?

Post by telex »

I bet the majority of posters here are rebuilding their cottages.

The million dollar starter homes are so 2010.

In these trying times of no employment and no income there really is no better option.

Liberalism itself as a religion where its tenets cannot be proven, but provides a sense of moral rectitude at no real cost.
McKinley
Rank 4
Rank 4

Re: To everything There is a Season — What Are You Doing To Benefit From This Adversity?

Post by McKinley »

I don’t know if I will have a career when all this settles ..

I’m realizing the importance of healthy people in my life and how important it is to be authentic in a healthy supportive community.

Conversely, I’m noticing how negative energy and unhealthy people can have a detrimental effect on my life.

I want to build a healthy authentic life that’s true to who I am. Each day, every choice I make, will be a vote for that healthy authentic life. The paradigm shift will take time and will involve change .. but I need it. I no longer want to take the beauty in this world for granted.. I want to soak up every ounce of joy that comes with life. The people in my life will be a reflection of that.

98 Corolla
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 98 Corolla »

Jesus guys lighten up. Some people catch a case of the shanghai sniffles and suddenly you'll have no career?

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

That part is real.

Arnie Pye
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Arnie Pye »

I have largely been staying off of the forums lately. I have been trying to practice more gratitude and positivity in my life (prior to this black swan event).

Crisis creates opportunity. That's why this thread jumped out at me. It's why I'm posting for the first time in months.

Whether you've been laid off yet or not, you probably have way more free time than you've ever had before. I hope to use it to learn something.

Here are a couple of suggestions:

Free online university courses. If you're like me, all of your eggs are in the aviation basket and have just tipped over. Most of the free courses can't be used toward a degree but can be used to discover a new passion. you can study everything from Architecture to Philosophy. Some of the courses look pretty interesting and while you can't use them toward a degree, they are proper university level courses. I have my kids starting to do a couple of courses in fields they were interested in and I will be doing some too just for interest sake.

https://www.edx.org/course

Found a passion? Launch a business! I haven't looked into it yet but I foresee the government throwing money at this to keep the economy from going back to Great Depression levels. More money is made in Bear markets than in Bull markets. If the business takes off, you've got a replacement career. If it gets by, you've got a side gig for later.

Raymond Hall
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Raymond Hall »

Arnie Pye wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 8:24 am Crisis creates opportunity. That's why this thread jumped out at me. It's why I'm posting for the first time in months.

Whether you've been laid off yet or not, you probably have way more free time than you've ever had before. I hope to use it to learn something.
One of the opportunities that I overlooked when I was junior was learning extra languages. Although I didn't have a degree when I was hired, I did go back to university to finish the degree after I was hired, and then went on to get two more degrees. I would have been much better off in my senior years, flying overseas, had I included some language courses in my curriculum.

For example, Spanish (most of South America), Portuguese (Brazil), Hebrew (Israel) and of course, Mandarin.

If this option interests you, may I suggest the Pimsleur courses! The entire courses in each of these languages come with up to 16 CDs in each of five units, each containing 30 or so 30-minute lessons.

You can pick up the entire course sets, used on eBay, for around $100 (U.S.) per set, depending on the language. The beauty of this language program is that you learn to speak and to understand the words with the native accent for each language. You can pop a CD into your car stereo on the way to and from work, or convert the lessons to MP3s and put them in your iPhone, iPad or other portable devices. Nifty when you find any free time, especially when commuting, waiting for a flight or at the doctor's office.

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

I’m not expecting any spare time, I plan to be working.

DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

lownslow wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 9:15 pm I’m not expecting any spare time, I plan to be working.
Not to mention that commute must take forever at 42 mph! :)

complexintentions
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by complexintentions »

Raymond Hall wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:00 pm
One of the opportunities that I overlooked when I was junior was learning extra languages. Although I didn't have a degree when I was hired, I did go back to university to finish the degree after I was hired, and then went on to get two more degrees. I would have been much better off in my senior years, flying overseas, had I included some language courses in my curriculum.

For example, Spanish (most of South America), Portuguese (Brazil), Hebrew (Israel) and of course, Mandarin.

If this option interests you, may I suggest the Pimsleur courses! The entire courses in each of these languages come with up to 16 CDs in each of five units, each containing 30 or so 30-minute lessons.

You can pick up the entire course sets, used on eBay, for around $100 (U.S.) per set, depending on the language. The beauty of this language program is that you learn to speak and to understand the words with the native accent for each language. You can pop a CD into your car stereo on the way to and from work, or convert the lessons to MP3s and put them in your iPhone, iPad or other portable devices. Nifty when you find any free time, especially when commuting, waiting for a flight or at the doctor's office.
I second the Pimsleur endorsement! Using it to learn Czech at the moment.

I confess that while of course I have some anxiety about my more vulnerable loved ones, I'm mostly somewhat enjoying the enforced downtime. (Check back in six months if this is still going on!) I've always been a bit of a prepper, financially anyway, so while I am grateful to learn that my respective countries of employ are stepping up to offer enough cash to cover monthly expenses, I could survive a couple years solely on reserves if necessary. I read a Ipsos poll last fall that suggested 40% of Canadians were $200 away from bankruptcy on any given month. It's not like there haven't been warnings for YEARS about how vulnerable many were if a financial shock were to arrive. Well, it's here.

The biggest issue I find, that others might share, is the lack of structure of self-isolation. It makes it easy to fall into poor eating and sleeping habits, not to mention boredom drinking. So I set up a loose schedule for myself every day that includes 30 min of language lesson, 30 min of grammar study, a TRX workout in the little lot behind my flat, and a lot of catch-up pleasure reading. I've started a list of people I'd like to reconnect with, and as timezones allow make a point of reconnecting with them either by email, text, or video. That in addition to my numerous family members of course. Also more time to delve into learning a new piece of web design software, and the never-ending sorting and editing of a lifetime of photos. Evening is for cooking and watching some of the massive backlog of downloaded movies and tv shows I never had time for before.

All things made possible by the unfortunate circumstances. Meanwhile, already being approached about contract opportunities that are anticipating post-virus growth.

Most of all, protect one's health. Do whatever you can to boost your immune system and avoid the virus. Certainly the risks are much higher for the elderly and those with pre-existing conditions. But there are plenty of 30 and 40 year olds on ventilators as well. Like our job, it's not about eliminating risk - it's not possible - but to not even bother to try to manage it is foolish in the extreme. If not for yourself, how about for your elderly or sick relative? How about for ANY elderly or sick person?

What I don't do? Saturate myself with news. Pay any attention to social media whatsoever. Or buy into the fear.

This is a marathon, not a sprint. Stay well!

I’m still waiting for my white male privilege membership card. Must have gotten lost in the mail.
co-joe
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by co-joe »

Shit, now I have that song in my head.

CPT.HarshColdReality
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CPT.HarshColdReality »

98 Corolla wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:57 am Jesus guys lighten up. Some people catch a case of the shanghai sniffles and suddenly you'll have no career?
LOL! No kidding. COLLAPSING the economy. Recession would be mild. A Depression is coming.

aV1aTOr
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by aV1aTOr »

98 Corolla wrote: Fri Mar 20, 2020 6:57 am Jesus guys lighten up. Some people catch a case of the shanghai sniffles and suddenly you'll have no career?
The first stage is denial.

Return to “Air Canada”