The Return to Normal?

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

ALPApolicy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: The Return to Normal?

Post by ALPApolicy »

Rockie, I’m not sure how to answer your question. How do we value the lives of our young sacrificed in the service of our country?

Perhaps the more mathematically inclined could do something with age, average life span, and a Black-Scholes style model for calculating declining value over time like is done with stock options.
---------- ADS -----------

ALPApolicy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ALPApolicy »

goldeneagle, that’s an excellent point, and likely the place where we need to place much of our efforts in order to be prepared for the next wave/pandemic. The young of our country deserve an economy to be left behind. Perhaps they should use Fridays to protest for a financial future rather than all that climate malarkey.

Last edited by ALPApolicy on Mon May 11, 2020 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ALPApolicy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ALPApolicy »

*DP*

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

ALPApolicy wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 12:44 pm How do we value the lives of our young sacrificed in the service of our country?

That has nothing to do with, but for what it's worth war is an abomination that has been resorted to much too easily since the WWII.

We are not at war legitimate or not though so back to the question. How many people 65 or older equals someone in their 20's?

ALPApolicy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ALPApolicy »

Rockie wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 12:48 pm
ALPApolicy wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 12:44 pm How do we value the lives of our young sacrificed in the service of our country?

That has nothing to do with, but for what it's worth war is an abomination that has been resorted to much to easily since the WWII.

We are not at war legitimate or not thoughso back to the question. How many people 65 or older equals someone in their 20's?
Do you mean how much will 65 or older people cost the economy? Not sure, but the cost has gone up exponentially in the last three months.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

You're not getting it, how much value do you put on a human life and why is it less because someone is older than 65. Percentages. Is my life worth 50% of a 20 year old? Less? Who makes that assessment?

ALPApolicy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ALPApolicy »

Rockie, I’m not sure what you are saying/asking. Are you asking that we bring the additional death risk of due to Coronavirus to zero for you? That’s not possible. So how far down do we need to bring that additional risk so that you’d be happy?

If collapsing the economy brings punishing debt, a worthless dollar, and financial ruin and associated social ills with it (suicides/addiction/abuse), then what lowered risk should we get in return?

Why don’t we just scrap environmental laws if we don’t care what we leave behind to our children?

We need to learn to live with this virus.

ikarus
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ikarus »

Crackpot conspiracy theory???

So Rockie, do you really believe all the money our governments are giving is really "free", because our politicians love us all, to throw money at us, at all the corporations and small business ....you know how they say, there is no free lunch. Time will show why did government gave us all this money, when we know the government does not forgive you one cent when it comes to tax returns. Or ask your bank to forgive your mortgage or car loan.

But its interesting how you just sidelined my story about previous bird flue pandemic which turned out to be the scam....it's ok you just keep telling yourself the testing and vaccines is what will save us all.

I have no intent to keep going with you in this useless debate...I have no desire to catch up to your 7000 posts. Take care :)

780Pilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by 780Pilot »

mbav8r wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 8:11 am
780Pilot wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 8:00 am
ALPApolicy wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 5:12 am Quebec has 2928 (as of May 11) deaths due to COVID-19 and zero of them are people under 30, 2.2% are older than 30 and less than 60 years of age, and 90.8% are 70 or older, most of whom were in long term care facilities or retirement homes.

We now know who is at risk. Take the measures to isolate them and let the rest of us go back to work.
Agreed. People gotta get back to work. Who do you think pays for their CPP? The working population.
I’m out, the expression “you can’t fix stupid” comes to mind
I understand how its isolated and the feds cant spend it but in order for CPP to be solvent in the future and pay benefits especially in the coming decades with mass retirements in Canada, there needs to be a working population to keep funding it. In addition even further down the line for us.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

ALPApolicy wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 1:08 pm Rockie, I’m not sure what you are saying/asking. Are you asking that we bring the additional death risk of due to Coronavirus to zero for you? That’s not possible.
Agreed and that's not what I'm asking. You and others advocate opening up the economy and isolating elderly people from the virus, except that isn't possible. If isolating seniors were possible it would have been done long ago and believe me they are trying real hard to do just that. It just isn't working nor will it. The White House is the most protected place on earth and they haven't kept it out of there.

Health and medical authorities have said ad nauseum what's needed to open up the economy and yet I never hear it from people like you. How come? They have been telling us explicitly how to do this but nobody including all levels of government seems to be listening. I don't get it. And no, contrary to some stupid people keeping the economy closed until there's a cure has NEVER been one of the options.

So, knowing elderly people will die and there's @#$! all you can do about it, why are you dismissing their lives to open up when you're not even prepared to do what the health officials recommend? Why the hell not?
ikarus wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 1:25 pm So Rockie, do you really believe all the money our governments are giving is really "free", because our politicians love us all, to throw money at us, at all the corporations and small business ....you know how they say, there is no free lunch.
I have absolutely no idea what you're talking about here. If you want to get into a discussion about how much money this is costing and whether or not I think it's worth it, or how long I think it will take to dig out of the hole if it's even possible I'm happy to do that. But I haven't indulged in that so far.

Last edited by Rockie on Mon May 11, 2020 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mixturerich
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mixturerich »

So we’ve established only people over 60 are vulnerable enough to care about. So let’s just isolate them until there’s a vaccine and the rest of us can go about our business. That’s only a year or two of not being to visit our parents or grandparents. No big deal, right?

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

mixturerich wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 2:41 pm So we’ve established only people over 60 are vulnerable enough to care about. So let’s just isolate them until there’s a vaccine and the rest of us can go about our business. That’s only a year or two of not being to visit our parents or grandparents. No big deal, right?
Gawd...focus will you? There is no way to isolate people over 60. They've been trying and it is not working.

What do you think mixturerich, people haven't thought about protecting elderly people before you?

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

Rockie wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 3:37 pm
mixturerich wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 2:41 pm So we’ve established only people over 60 are vulnerable enough to care about. So let’s just isolate them until there’s a vaccine and the rest of us can go about our business. That’s only a year or two of not being to visit our parents or grandparents. No big deal, right?
Gawd...focus will you? There is no way to isolate people over 60. They've been trying and it is not working.

What do you think mixturerich, people haven't thought about protecting elderly people before you?
Ask me.... I am getting close to three quarters of a century existence on the face of the earth 😉😉.

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

Let's shut down the economy indefinitely - then nobody will die ever!

172cptn
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by 172cptn »

Rockie wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 12:12 pm
ALPApolicy wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 12:04 pm find ways to keep our elders safe.
So easy to say.

Does anyone know the pro-rated value of a person's life over 65? How much does it depreciate for every year above that?

Negative Ghostrider the pattern is closed
EPR
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by EPR »

Well..here’s the “kick in the nuts”, Corona Virus mimics the “common cold”, do we/have we.. a “vaccination” for the “common cold”? Answer is “NO”, but we do know that washing your filthy hands several times a day with “soap and water”, and not touching your face (eyes, nose, and mouth) with your “filthy germ ridden fingers”, then you won’t normally catch a “cold”, (being outside on a cold day has nothing to do with catching a cold, despite the “generational fallacy” we’ve all grown up to believe)! So..hoping for a vaccine in this regards is “hopeful thinking” and may never happen, however in the meantime , practicing (what every child\adult should have already known, but clearly don’t), wash your Goddamned filthy hands every chance you get‼️

Last edited by EPR on Tue May 12, 2020 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Keep the dirty side down.
EPR
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by EPR »

Sorry, I was so livid with assholes that don’t wash their hands that I double posted. FFS!

Keep the dirty side down.
ikarus
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ikarus »

EPR wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 2:25 am Sorry, I was so livid with assholes that don’t wash their hands that I double posted. FFS!
I love when you see guys at the airport walk out of the washroom stalls straight for the exit ....after doing the number 2...even more exiting is when you see one of the airline guys in uniform :lol: Hope they use those wipes when they jump on board. :roll:

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

'97 Tercel wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 7:45 pm Let's shut down the economy indefinitely - then nobody will die ever!
You win a gold star if you can cite any Government or health agency in Canada recommending the economy be shut down indefinitely.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

ikarus wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 3:31 am
EPR wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 2:25 am Sorry, I was so livid with assholes that don’t wash their hands that I double posted. FFS!
I love when you see guys at the airport walk out of the washroom stalls straight for the exit ....after doing the number 2...even more exiting is when you see one of the airline guys in uniform :lol: Hope they use those wipes when they jump on board. :roll:
At the Officer’s Club washroom one night an Air Force pilot notices a Navy pilot heading straight for the exit after using the urinal.

Air Force guy: “In the Air Force we wash our hands after using the urinal.”
Navy guy: “In the Navy we don’t piss all over our hands.”

Really old joke. Be the Air Force guy and wash your hands.

Return to “Air Canada”