The Return to Normal?

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

ALPApolicy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: The Return to Normal?

Post by ALPApolicy »

ayseven wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 6:04 am...We will all be complaining about how much we have to work soon enough...
Taxation. We will be complaining about taxation to pay for the mismanagement of LTC facilities that led to 3/4 of the deaths here in Quebec, with similar numbers around the world.

If you remove LTC facilities deaths from the total, COVID-19 is no more lethal than a normal flu year.

As Premier Kenney points out, this is a virus that kills elderly people, most with comorbidities, and the average age of death (in Alberta, similar around the world) due to Covid is slightly older than all causes age of death average. Surely we can find more imaginative ways to protect the weak than shutting down the economy.

In any event, there is no more money, private or public, to endure a second shutdown of the economy so bust out the napkins and the pencils.
---------- ADS -----------

Last edited by ALPApolicy on Fri May 29, 2020 7:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

Rockie wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 2:34 am Do you also have a one paragraph plan for solving world hunger? Poverty? Colonizing Mars?

With you in charge Operation Overlord could have been written on the back of a napkin.
As you can see...no credible response. Folks...ignore the whiners.

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

Those that think they know a smidgen about economics and government debt are talking through their hats. NO I will not elaborate because there is no point. It is dogma to some.

Aux1
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Aux1 »

florch wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 5:30 pm
Jimmyh787 wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:39 pm Jimmyh787 wrote: ↑Wed May 27, 2020 2:52 pm
Wearing a mask appropriately is courteous to your fellow citizens like washing your hands after you take a dump. We all wash our hands I hope.
My personal observations would suggest, based on the number of adult males I've seen come out of a washroom stall, walk straight past the basins without slowing down, and out of the washroom, your hope is unfounded. Unless they are washing in the toilet bowl...

Aux1
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Aux1 »

Aux1 wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 7:42 am
florch wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 5:30 pm
Jimmyh787 wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 1:39 pm Jimmyh787 wrote: ↑Wed May 27, 2020 2:52 pm
Wearing a mask appropriately is courteous to your fellow citizens like washing your hands after you take a dump. We all wash our hands I hope.
My personal observations would suggest, based on the number of adult males I've seen come out of a washroom stall, walk straight past the basins without slowing down, and out of the washroom, your hope is unfounded. Unless they are washing in the toilet bowl...

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

ALPApolicy wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 6:46 am Surely we can find more imaginative ways to protect the weak than shutting down the economy.
Your use of the term “weak” says a lot about you. I’m guessing you consider yourself one of the strong. In any event Pelmet has a one paragraph plan to do just that. There’s some details yet to work out - like all of them - but it shouldn’t take the two of you long.

Get back to us with the PowerPoint presentation.

ALPApolicy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ALPApolicy »

“Lockdown caused more deaths than it saved, a Nobel laureate scientist said on Saturday, as he predicted the UK would emerge from Covid-19 within weeks.

Michael Levitt, a Stanford University professor who correctly predicted the initial trajectory of the pandemic, sent messages to Professor Neil Ferguson in March telling the influential government advisor he had over-estimated the potential death toll by "10 or 12 times".

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/0 ... ieves/amp/

ALPApolicy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ALPApolicy »

“The head of the Norwegian Institute of Public Health believes Norway could have brought the coronavirus pandemic under control without a lockdown, and called for the country to avoid such far-reaching measures if hit by a second wave.”

https://www.thelocal.no/20200522/norway ... alth-chief

pelmet
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by pelmet »

ALPApolicy wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 11:20 am “The head of the Norwegian Institute of Public Health believes Norway could have brought the coronavirus pandemic under control without a lockdown, and called for the country to avoid such far-reaching measures if hit by a second wave.”

Gee...I wonder if Rockie will agree with the medical experts.

Once again Rockie...you are wrong. Now stay in quarantine while we get on with life. Maybe a separate AvCanada forum can be set up for you. The rest of us have a life to live.

For those of you(ie. Canadians) with extra cash on hand, time to spend more than usual and get the economy improving. Buy Canadian as well.

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

pelmet wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 7:35 am
ALPApolicy wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 11:20 am “The head of the Norwegian Institute of Public Health believes Norway could have brought the coronavirus pandemic under control without a lockdown, and called for the country to avoid such far-reaching measures if hit by a second wave.”

Once again Rockie...you are wrong. Now stay in quarantine while we get on with life. Maybe a separate AvCanada forum can be set up for you. The rest of us have a life to live.
Wrong about trusting science over internet trolls?

rooster
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by rooster »

Can we seriously drop the bickering? There's going to be a hundred opinions. None of them have been forced on any of you, so grow up and move on. Unbelievable that this is a forum full of professional pilots.

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

It is unfortunate that rather than looking at this subject with any rationality, it has become emotional attacks, and that takes away from the seriousness of the subject. I would agree that the "discussion" is not very productive at this point. It is coming though; just hang in everybody.

RippleRock
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by RippleRock »

Your math is wrong.

Let’s see at the end of this what all the fuss was about.

My bet is this Covid-19 lockdown will go down as the biggest “avoidable” economic blunder in the entire history of humanity.

The statistics and mortality rate will answer all you “lockdown-loving”, home-made mask wearing sissys. I still know no one who has had it or knows of anyone who did. I also doubt any of you do either.

I doubt any of us ever will.

VeRmiLLioN
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by VeRmiLLioN »

RippleRock wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 7:17 pm
The statistics and mortality rate will answer all you “lockdown-loving”, home-made mask wearing sissys.
HAHHAA

Rank 0

Post by DuckBucket »

RippleRock wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 7:17 pm Your math is wrong.

My bet is this Covid-19 lockdown will go down as the biggest “avoidable” economic blunder in the entire history of humanity.

The statistics and mortality rate will answer all you “lockdown-loving”, home-made mask wearing sissys. I still know no one who has had it or knows of anyone who did. I also doubt any of you do either.

👍

FenderManDan
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by FenderManDan »

DuckBucket wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 6:00 am
RippleRock wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 7:17 pm Your math is wrong.

👍

Well said. Now can we focus this 11 page energy on other means of social networks and persuade people to buy the plane tickets as they bought that toilet paper (as per meme floating around).
How about those millennial yolo crowd? Certainly they are not afraid to fly to exotic somewhere.

Goodman5
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Goodman5 »

It’ll be the “Nobody has it harder than me, I deserve my 4th vacation Boomers” who get us back in this!!

Rockie
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by Rockie »

Goodman5 wrote: Sun May 31, 2020 10:37 am It’ll be the “Nobody has it harder than me, I deserve my 4th vacation Boomers” who get us back in this!!
I don't think so, although in some quarters I'm sure they'll contribute. More accurately it'll be braindead stupid people regardless of age.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4YrOayiCDA

JeppsOnFire
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by JeppsOnFire »

Rockie wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 10:18 am
pelmet wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 7:35 am

Wrong about trusting science over internet trolls?
More than 600 doctors signed onto a letter sent to President Trump Tuesday pushing him to end the "national shutdown" aimed at slowing the spread of the coronavirus, calling the widespread state orders keeping businesses closed and kids home from school a "mass casualty incident" with "exponentially growing health consequences."

The letter outlines a variety of consequences that the doctors have observed resulting from the coronavirus shutdowns, including patients missing routine checkups that could detect things like heart problems or cancer, increases in substance and alcohol abuse, and increases in financial instability that could lead to "poverty and financial uncertainty," which "is closely linked to poor health."

"We are alarmed at what appears to be the lack of consideration for the future health of our patients," the doctors say in their letter. "The downstream health effects ... are being massively under-estimated and under-reported. This is an order of magnitude error."

The letter continues: "The millions of casualties of a continued shutdown will be hiding in plain sight, but they will be called alcoholism, homelessness, suicide, heart attack, stroke, or kidney failure. In youths it will be called financial instability, unemployment, despair, drug addiction, unplanned pregnancies, poverty, and abuse.

"Because the harm is diffuse, there are those who hold that it does not exist. We, the undersigned, know otherwise."

"The very initial argument ... which sounded reasonable three months ago, is that in order to limit the overwhelmed patient flux into hospitals that would prevent adequate care, we needed to spread out the infections and thus the deaths in specific locales that could become hotspots, particularly New York City... It was a valid argument at the beginning based on the models that were given," McDonald said. "What we've seen now over the last three months is that no city -- none, zero -- outside of New York has even been significantly stressed."

McDonald is referring to the misconception that business closures and stay-at-home orders aimed at "flattening the curve" are meant to reduce the total number of people who will fall ill because of the coronavirus. Rather, these curve-flattening measures are meant largely to reduce the number of people who are sick at any given time, thus avoiding a surge in cases that overwhelms the health care system and causes otherwise preventable deaths because not all patients are able to access lifesaving critical care.

McDonald said that "hospitals are not only not overwhelmed, they're actually being shut down." He noted that at one hospital in the Los Angeles area where Dr. Simone Gold, the head organizer of the letter, works "the technicians in the ER have been cut by 50 percent."

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

I think we can get this to 15 pages.....

Return to “Air Canada”