220 Pilots, what are you thoughts so far??

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Eddietheeagle
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: 220 Pilots, what are you thoughts so far??

Post by Eddietheeagle »

I fly it, it definitely has some issues. First it is not an Airbus, not even close.

It feels very small, like a biz jet, even though the cockpit is quite spacious.

The cabin user interface for the F/A’s is horrible, super cheap feel and glitchy, very glitchy. PA system is the same.

Up front, looks wise it’s very nice. However to me, a lot of unnecessary information. The FMS pages layout requires a lot of finger F*^€£ing to get the simplest request, Atis, TO Wat etc.

The seats are a torture device, impossible to get a comfortable position and be able to see through the HUD.

Radio panel is either on a page which is on one of the screens or on the comm panel on the glare shield. They want the left Comm on Capt. Side, right comm on F/O side. Again, finger fucking for a radio change.

Every pilot has a preference on the screen layout, which is annoying.

FMS is slowly growing on me but it has its weaknesses.

We are still unable to do fltplan uplink, patch is coming.
No wind update, patch is coming
No cpdlc , patch is coming.

The electric brakes require a lot of attention on taxi as to not have a constant bucking motion, it’s specific to the fin, some are better then others.

The engines make a lot of noise, on taxi it sounds like we are torturing dogs in the cargo hold, in cruise there is a loud rumble....it’s similar to sitting in a dash 8 classic cockpit noise wise.
Climb performance is crap, and most flights we are super light.
As for the limited flight levels, I have heard rumours of up to another 16 months.

The plane is slippery on decent, low flap speeds make it hard to reduce speeds, flaps 1 is 230kts. Flaps 2 is 210. The speed brakes are useless.

I have found the plane very sensitive hand flying, from the rudders on take off, to roll and pitch sensitivity While hand flying. This thing I bet could do a snap roll easily if the computer would let u.

Initially my landings were very firm, I have found using auto brake low of available makes a huge difference, Brake’s Med and up really grab as soon as you touch and makes the touch down seem harsh.

All just my opinion.
---------- ADS -----------

duro195
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by duro195 »

Inverted2 wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:56 pm I deadheaded on one for the first time the other day. I did notice a bit of resonance in the cabin. Sort of a rumble. I assume it’s from the engine speeds not being matched. Otherwise it was nice.
There's a definite rumble around row 23 due to wind around the wheel well and around row 33 due to an antenna (wifi I think) on top causing weird drag. I was told they were looking into it but I'm not holding my breath as they're likely trying to fix the engines first. Flying higher might make those vibrations slightly less annoying too.

It's just a few kinks they have to iron out. Bombardier was in a rush to get the type certified so it's understandable. Airbus will continue to make it a better product and before AC gets all 45 I think it will have gotten better already.

Mustard
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Mustard »

How’s the wx radar?

brooks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by brooks »

This is why airlines stick to what has always worked. Like a 737.
https://www.flightglobal.com/safety/a22 ... 66.article

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

brooks wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:42 pm This is why airlines stick to what has always worked. Like a 737.
Your kidding right? If your not I’m not sure how to respond.

telex
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by telex »

brooks wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 1:42 pm This is why airlines stick to what has always worked. Like a 737.
You mean like the Max? Cause it just worked so well.

Liberalism itself as a religion where its tenets cannot be proven, but provides a sense of moral rectitude at no real cost.
Lt. Daniel Kaffee
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Lt. Daniel Kaffee »

Inverted2 wrote: Fri Jul 10, 2020 2:56 pm I deadheaded on one for the first time the other day. I did notice a bit of resonance in the cabin. Sort of a rumble. I assume it’s from the engine speeds not being matched. Otherwise it was nice.
That would be a wrong assumption because this airplane actually has a FADEC setting to SYNC the engine N1 speeds to minimize harmonic noise in the aircraft. The left engine is the master(reference) and the right is the slave. The EEC fuel trims the right engine to sync the engine speeds. This function operates while in cruise.

brooks
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by brooks »

Because a poorly drained cabin door causing an inflight shutdown is no big deal.

Fanblade
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by Fanblade »

brooks wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:53 pm Because a poorly drained cabin door causing an inflight shutdown is no big deal.
Kinda like an MCAS issue causing.........

Design issues are not uncommon in new aircraft. They are more like the norm. It is why initial cost is lower.

goldeneagle
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goldeneagle »

brooks wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 2:53 pm Because a poorly drained cabin door causing an inflight shutdown is no big deal.
The article I saw said it was during taxi.

Gino Under
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Gino Under »

Of course, this would NEVER happen on a “real” Airbus while taxiing or flying. Naw! Never. Not on an Airbus. Especially the newest Airbus model, the A350!
Wait a minute. Have you read this?

https://ad.easa.europa.eu/blob/EASA_AD_ ... 0-0090R1_1

"I'll tell you what's wrong with society. No one drinks from the skulls of their enemies!"
rxl
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by rxl »

Yup. That’s why we’re all still flying DC-3’s.

teacher
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by teacher »

6 month on type and still liking it. New software load coming which will cure a few coding anomalies. This is a very software and checklist driven machine. Kinks are slowly being ironed out. It’ll take time. The usual complaining of “it doesn’t do it like my old type” is common but that will fade as people get used to it, adapt to new procedures and issues get resolved.

Everyone forgets all the established planes went through the same things or worse.

Now if only we could climb above FL290! Rumours are something coming soon........

https://eresonatemedia.com/
https://bambaits.ca/
https://youtube.com/channel/UCWit8N8YCJSvSaiSw5EWWeQ
UNS1C
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by UNS1C »

6 months flying it and Love It.....awesome machine .....and there is no perfect plane that’s for sure.......two biggest complaints for me are seat doesn’t recline far enough and the sun visor is terrible design......

Gino Under
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Gino Under »

I believe your FL290 restriction is self-imposed. As I recall, there’s a procedure involving AT Disconnect and CLB settings. Is there not?
Surely, that can’t be much of a challenge to achieve better fuel economy?

Gino Under

"I'll tell you what's wrong with society. No one drinks from the skulls of their enemies!"
teacher
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by teacher »

There is a procedure but it was determined that with so many new pilots with no time on type and a non-standard procedure and such small tolerances it was not worth the risk. Rumour is a software patch will limit N1 above flight level 290 until a hardware fix is incorporated sometime next year.

https://eresonatemedia.com/
https://bambaits.ca/
https://youtube.com/channel/UCWit8N8YCJSvSaiSw5EWWeQ
Gino Under
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by Gino Under »

So, would the use of manual thrust be allowed below FL290, especially for those new on type? You’d think AC would be all over and very much in favour of improving pilot manual flying skills. I can’t imagine a type rated airline pilot would have any concern or problem with setting an N1 value manually. Regardless of altitude.
I must say, I’d be really surprised if the rationale behind the restriction is due to SOP and wonder what it would have to do with SOP anyway?
Have your pilot qualifications and experience really fallen to that level on such an easy aircraft to fly?
Does an adjustment to the climb speed schedule help with the N1 range/margin in the climb while an EEC software update is pending?

Gino Under, Ret.

Air.Field
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Air.Field »

sarcasm How anyone flown jets before auto thrust must be a mystery, how'd those pilots do it?

Does the company not trust its pilots skills? Just another step towards automation, where you just sit there and let the plane fly you? (I hear this happens in soviet Russia (simpsons ref))

Fidget
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Fidget »

Like someone posted, tolerances are tight. If N1 is exceeded, the time above it has to be recorded and accurate. A boroscope may be required before next flight. Safer to stay below where there are no restrictions. Not worth the risk of going above and potentially getting an engine failure. No issues staying at FL 290 or 280 even during the summer.

Nothing to do with pilot skill. If they wish AT off is allowed If they want to “improve” their flying skill. Like that will help anybody. Sheesh :roll:

Edited for stupid touchscreen.

Last edited by Fidget on Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lt. Daniel Kaffee
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Lt. Daniel Kaffee »

Maybe, just maybe, Flt Ops has determined that the rewards associated with climbing > FL290 do not outweigh the risks, since even small N1 exceedances could mean an engine change.

Return to “Air Canada”