How to get rid of ACPA?

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Mrbobmarly111
Rank 2
Rank 2

Re: How to get rid of ACPA?

Post by Mrbobmarly111 »

Well said Ratherbe.

And yes i think its been going well. Nothing would be different with a different union. Maybe different reps (not saying I dont like the current ones). But a different union is just a waste of time.

Why would i want a union thats based in America representing hugeeee American airlines representing a small Canadian Airline. Tomorrow if you wanted you could walk into the ACPA headquarters and talk to the heads. (Obviously pre Covid). You Can.

And well... i like that.
---------- ADS -----------

TG
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by TG »

Dry Guy wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 2:21 pm
Dronepiper wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 11:40 am Are there really US flight attendants making 250k a year?!??!!!??!!?
$250k US, so about $340k Canadian

https://simpleflying.com/delta-flight-a ... ling-milk/
And....After 57 years of seniority loooool, convenient detail set aside!

Jean-Pierre
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jean-Pierre »

Having a pay scale that goes beyond 12 year whoa what a concept. Imagine how hard that would be here.

schnitzel2k3
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by schnitzel2k3 »

The CIRB protects a bad union like said union protects a garbage employee.

Good luck, you guys have your work cutout for you. Air Canada does not want a new union in there, so it's not just the CIRB and ACPA you are fighting, but the executives.

Enjoy the devil you know.

lownslow
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by lownslow »

Couldn’t you guys just fix ACPA? Aren’t the folks largely in control voted in?

thrust set
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by thrust set »

I do remember a few weeks ago in the YYZ crew room a pilot showing my F/O a website regarding change designed by a junior group of frustrated pilots.

I only got “ heresay” so cant comment any further.

Anyone else heard of this?

TS

Johnny767
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Johnny767 »

thrust set wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:29 pm I do remember a few weeks ago in the YYZ crew room a pilot showing my F/O a website regarding change designed by a junior group of frustrated pilots.

TS
That website is designed by a low time loud mouth that is counting his AC Seniority in weeks and months. Had over 1000 posts on the forum in no time, doing nothing but complaining. 250 hr Jazz guy and in 24 months is at AC - everyone from management to ACPA knows who he is. Ink is still drying on his ATP, beaking off about being a Q400 Captain and on the Jazz Negotiations committee.

Poster child for "Entitled Millennial!"

Art Garfunkel
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Art Garfunkel »

Johnny767 wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:40 am
thrust set wrote: Sun Aug 02, 2020 7:29 pm I do remember a few weeks ago in the YYZ crew room a pilot showing my F/O a website regarding change designed by a junior group of frustrated pilots.

TS
That website is designed by a low time loud mouth that is counting his AC Seniority in weeks and months. Had over 1000 posts on the forum in no time, doing nothing but complaining. 250 hr Jazz guy and in 24 months is at AC - everyone from management to ACPA knows who he is. Ink is still drying on his ATP, beaking off about being a Q400 Captain and on the Jazz Negotiations committee.

Poster child for "Entitled Millennial!"
Complaining or asking good questions?

Johnny767
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Johnny767 »

The guy is insufferable, most people join a new employer and keep their head down to learn the culture. Not this clown, he has ALL the answers. Stupid enough to go on Yammer and whine about not getting J class on a B pass.

Dry Guy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dry Guy »

You heard it here guys, keep your mouth shut and like what the senior guys have given you, and what they've kept for themselves.

Johnny767
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Johnny767 »

Nice try, for the record I would like nothing better that seeing ACPA gone and ALPA in. Do it with some respect, not running off at the mouth.

thrust set
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by thrust set »

I made some inquiries, seems nobody wants to talk about it to me.
Just with an annoying text, “things are in motion ...don’t stick my nose where it doesn’t belong.”
This was there logo.

Attachments
A7C4FC1E-2088-4C9D-98C2-1531A30B67AA.jpeg
A7C4FC1E-2088-4C9D-98C2-1531A30B67AA.jpeg (225.6 KiB) Viewed 3547 times
Jean-Pierre
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jean-Pierre »

Just curious as an outsider how much seniority do you need to get J class on a B pass?

RippleRock
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by RippleRock »

For the most part, you guys commenting on this thread have NO CLUE the damage ACPA has done to our collective agreements over the past two decades. Our colluding reps are responsible for the direct loss of lterally hundreds of millions of WACON changes to the companies benefit and direct detriment of the pilot group. Something happens to these guys when the enter the "ACPA domain". They literally change. They become an arm of Flight Ops Management, and believe that by marginalizing the very pilots they represent, they are effectively "saving us all" from ourselves and making the company stronger. Like the pilot group needs to align their "views" with the Shareholder for the betterment of the entire enterprise. We have one ELECTED national rep that sees how rotten ACPA has become and he is absolutely sickened by what he has seen. Even though he has been elected, he has been declared an "outcast" and been isolated by the other reps. Unreal. We stand by and do nothing.

Don't get me wrong. I believe that a healthy company is important, but we have little to offer, and much to lose. We are one of the most underpaid, and overworked national airline pilot groups in the first world.

The simple lack of "snap-back clauses" that would give the company "temporary" lets during difficult times has been nearly non-existent. Once they "give" to "help out" its GONE, permanently. ACPA has rarely been careful in what they have offered as "help". Our reps are always the first group into the "burning building", and rarely do we come out without permanent scars. Pilots are too expensive to downtrain which would minimize layoff right from the start. This apparently wasn't even considered last May.

How many direct jobs were saved by the 55 hour MOU? Probably none. The company will crew the airline to the crew required, period. The fact that pilots within 100 numbers of layoff are currently in expensive aircraft conversion training programs showed the companies intent. MINIMAL LAYOFFS, that were NOT affected by the massive pay concession taken on by the entire group FOR SIX MONTHS. AC has nearly 10 billion in liquidity, but now has many pilots on the verge of selling their homes through necessity. What did the 55 hour MOU add to AC's bottom line? Maybe 5 days of further liquidity.

Thanks ACPA. Muppets with Flt Ops hands running them. This pilot group is a joke if they think they are being well represented.

Stick to the F@#%ing CONTRACT like you are SUPOSE TO. Its there to protect us. No more MOU's.

Lt. Daniel Kaffee
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Lt. Daniel Kaffee »

it's all so easy from the cheap seats....

Raymond Hall
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Raymond Hall »

Lt. Daniel Kaffee wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 6:14 pm it's all so easy from the cheap seats....
RippleRock wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 9:21 am For the most part, you guys commenting on this thread have NO CLUE the damage ACPA has done to our collective agreements over the past two decades. Our colluding reps are responsible for the direct loss of lterally hundreds of millions of WACON changes to the companies benefit and direct detriment of the pilot group. Something happens to these guys when the enter the "ACPA domain". They literally change. They become an arm of Flight Ops Management, and believe that by marginalizing the very pilots they represent, they are effectively "saving us all" from ourselves and making the company stronger.
It is so ironic that I should find myself actually agreeing with anything that Kaffee posts. Nevertheless, his comment is apt. Because you have criticized the ACPA reps for a period of two decades, you have actually slandered many, including myself. May I respectfully disagree with your criticism! When I was Chair, we received a 97% strike vote, with a 98% participation rate. On three separate occasions over the summer of 2000 I had written and signed the 72-hour Notice to Minister of Labour that is required prior to commencing strike action, and had it in my fax machine ready to hit the SEND button. The MEC had spent over 30 weeks in intense negotiations with one and only one interest—providing the membership with a contract that reflected their valued contribution to the enterprise.

On the third occasion, August 31st, 2000, I received a call at 12:30 AM from the Negotiation Committee Chair that negotiations had failed and that we should announce the strike in the morning. At 7:00 AM, I received a second call. Air Canada had capitulated and accepted our final offer. No strike.

We were thrust into the same dilemma the following May. Air Canada announced that it was planning to contract out to Skyservice a good portion of our flying. Another standoff, for two weeks. I won't go into too much detail, but I can tell you that there was much disagreement within the MEC and the Negotiation Committee as to what to do, with many favouring an illegal strike.

I had kept silent during much of the two days of discussion, but when a decision was about to be considered, I presented a copy of a paper to each of the MEC and Negotiating Committee members that I had written in 1981 for one of my MBA courses, showing what happened after a previous illegal strike.

For a course that I was then taking, Government and Its Environment, we were required to submit a research paper. I had chosen as a subject, the U.S. Air Traffic Controllers strike. On November 11, 1981, I traveled to Washington D.C. and spent three hours interviewing the President and the Vice President of the Professional Air Traffic Controllers Association. The majority of their members, after starting their strike, had been arrested in chains. 99% of those controllers lost their jobs, with many losing their houses after being denied mortgages and bank loans, not to mention winding up in jail and/or having to pay legal bills. Clear evidence of what an illegal strike can do for you. So, I had no misunderstanding of the potential adverse consequences for us, should we take that option, especially with the then recently-appointed new, young AC President planning to change the corporation.

I then put my job as MEC Chair on the line. No illegal strike, or I would resign. I offered my resignation then or when the strike was announced. We adjourned the MEC meeting without resolution. Then, a few days later I persuaded the VP of Air Canada Flight Ops to re-convene the negotiations that had broken off.

All of the MEC, all of the Negotiation Committee, as well as our Labour Relations staff then met face to face with Air Canada's team, including the current President and CEO at a hotel on the strip in Toronto, with the two facing tables stretching over 30 feet. I can honestly tell you that that confrontation was one of the most intense experiences that I have ever had in my over 50 years of flying and over 30 years of practising law. The entire future of the Association and its members was at stake. We stood our ground. To say that "very strong words" were expressed by our negotiators would be an understatement. The only concern in our actions was ensuring that we effectively represented those who elected us. Air Canada adjourned, and then returned and withdrew its proposal for contracting out. The contract was kept intact.

So may I respectfully suggest that you think twice before you label your elected representatives as weak, conflicted or self-interested. You would do well to get involved and see things from the inside. From the expensive seats, not the cheap seats.

Last edited by Raymond Hall on Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
RippleRock
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by RippleRock »

The cheep seats you say....I assure you Daniel, that we are both paying and we are far from done.

A lot has happened since you were in "office" Ray. I'd say the Gary Tarves years were the last unified front shown by our leadership, perhaps JMB as well, but he had little to no support. Gary was quoted as saying that the "SS ACPA" (contract) was a ship covered in patches, but it had few holes. You could drive a semi-truck through the holes left in the crap TA1 deal in the form of LOU's. I lost count of the numbers of "letters of intent" to clarify contract language at a future time, like WTF? It was said that it arguably cost the group on the order of $150.000,000 of "bargaining capital". What a let down, what a sell-out. I could go on at length starting with the Sky Regional pole that resulted in the loss of the 175's, but I'd be wasting my time as that ship has sailed, as has the 50 fin Rouge cap.

The "gives" since we entered CCAA are nearly incalculable. Fracturing of the membership was allowed on multiple levels, the most serious of which was the loss of the DB pension. FOS and the creation of Rouge was never contended, but was instead "embraced" by ACPA and enshrined in a ten year deal that was bought with $10,000 of our own grievence money. The sell job was aggressive, putting it mildly. The concept of letting the deal stand on its own merit and letting the Membership debate was never entertained. The forum was shut down, and all questions were filtered through the ACPA portal. The promises made by ACPA used to sell the deal, broken.

We are still at the mercy of "leading question" surveys. Who knows what will be done with the latest, but given ACPA's resolve to do their own thing, all of us "cheap seaters" should be losing a bit of sleep.

skypirate88
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by skypirate88 »

Ray, I respect what you did then and thank your for your service. There were and still are some people within the halls that are doing or trying to do some good work.

Unfortunately the ACPA you knew is no longer the ACPA apparently serving the members. It has grown into an incredibly siloed organization with little factions making side deals. We have committees that work in isolation with little oversight, a legal department unwilling to take a stand and a MEC that largely bends to the companies demands.
We have fully displaced reps, some of who haven't flown the line in years.

There was a time when we were better served by ACPA. As the industry has grown we have grown increasingly isolated as Air Canada pilots. We are the largest pilot group in Canada, and for better or worse we set the contract trends in this country. We have allowed companies to pit is against each other. It's time we (pilots) stop seeing each other as the competition, let the companies worry about that. We must work together to advance the labour agenda and our profession.

We must look inward when considering the failures of our past. Obviously government intervention has done immense damage to our group but we must also share some of that responsibility. The apathy within our group will be a challenge to overcome but I believe a change in banner might be what we need to wake up the members.

We are facing something completely unprecedented in the history of our profession. The decisions made now by ACPA will have lasting impacts for the rest of our careers and unfortunately I have lost faith in the association's ability to navigate these troubled waters.

A mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway can take you anywhere
skypirate88
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by skypirate88 »

Double post

A mile of road will take you a mile, but a mile of runway can take you anywhere
Dry Guy
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Dry Guy »

Would it be possible to get pilots out of negotiations entirely? They just don't have the IQ to go toe to toe with the executives but they have the ego to think they do.

Return to “Air Canada”