Service Suspension Notice

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Loon-A-Tic
Rank 5
Rank 5

Service Suspension Notice

Post by Loon-A-Tic »

Oh boy, this will make life a bit challanging for the east coast commuter crews

https://atlantic.ctvnews.ca/massive-blo ... -1.5221865
---------- ADS -----------

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Re: Service Suspension Notice

Post by Inverted2 »

Not really surprised. They want their bubble. Airlines shouldn’t send one plane there if it’s a money losing venture.

Enjoy the bubble. It’s gonna be a long couple of winters.

PS: I do feel for the commuters who live there, it’s beyond your control but commuting is a choice.

Let’s Go Brandon
montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

Inverted2 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:44 pm Not really surprised. They want their bubble. Airlines shouldn’t send one plane there if it’s a money losing venture.

PS: I do feel for the commuters who live there, it’s beyond your control but commuting is a choice.
I feel for the commuters too,

It's a choice, but due to a disruption no one could anticipate or plan for they are now having to make some difficult choices on how to deal with this... Move, wait and see, find an alternative... Very hard to deal with given all the government knee jerk reactions you have zero say over.

Same goes for people who bought condo's down town Toronto who now can work from home. Everything desirable about city life has vanished. No one wants to get on public transit, no shows to go to, no night life, no restaurants. The whole point of being downtown encompasses embracing the city life, and its gone.
6bb00405fb6d769f3f3eca3da46c23f3.jpg
6bb00405fb6d769f3f3eca3da46c23f3.jpg (82.56 KiB) Viewed 7089 times

Gulfstream5
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Gulfstream5 »

If one reads between the lines, and as my suspicions have confirmed , most of the routes affected are SKY regional. A couple months ago a captain told me things weren't looking good there and some feared more layoffs in the new year.
Just like the US, the demise of regional carriers has arrived. The deck of cards has fallen. Jazz/chorus will be bought by CR as a retirement gig, to focus on covid-safe charters & UN work in Africa... sky axed once the MAX returns to service ( no need for e175s polluting the skies) with more than ample fleet to provide service to a reduced market.

A220 will service short and longer haul north America (including lhr, dub) and max/ ts 321 Neos to replace older 320s.
Transat 330 used in conjunction with rouge 767 for worldwide overnight cargo / vaccine distribution. ( Surplus Vax purchased by Canada to be redistributed to developing nations will be a lucrative contract)

Speaking of the vaccine, heard back from a couple essential workers in the US who have been given a vaccine prior to general distribution. 2 weeks of awful flu symptoms and no desire to get the second shot.

Yycjetdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Yycjetdriver »

Inverted2 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:44 pm Not really surprised. They want their bubble. Airlines shouldn’t send one plane there if it’s a money losing venture.

Maybe you should turn on the news every once and awhile before spewing info. Their “bubble” was eliminated several weeks ago.

RedAndWhiteBaron
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by RedAndWhiteBaron »

Yycjetdriver wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:54 pm

Maybe you should turn on the news every once and awhile before spewing info. Their “bubble” was eliminated several weeks ago.
It would appear that the bubble's fallout has created another "bubble". It had widespread support from what I hear.

Careful what you wish for, you just might get it.

I will dance the sky on laughter-silvered wings.
Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Yycjetdriver wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:54 pm

I think you still have to quarantine if you enter any Atlantic province so the bubble just split into 4 little bubbles. I don’t watch the news anymore. It’s bad for ones brain. Covid 24/7. No thanks!

Let’s Go Brandon
Hot Wings
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Hot Wings »

Gulfstream5 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:33 pm Speaking of the vaccine, heard back from a couple essential workers in the US who have been given a vaccine prior to general distribution. 2 weeks of awful flu symptoms and no desire to get the second shot.
Prior to “general distribution”, ie you mean before FDA emergency approval? Suuuuuuuuuure you did.

Loon-A-Tic
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Loon-A-Tic »

Not true,

"If one reads between the lines, and as my suspicions have confirmed , most of the routes affected are SKY regional."

Its a 50/50 split as per the Air Canada website;

SkyRegional destinations are CYDF, CYHZ and CYYG.

Jazz destinations are CYFC, YQY and CYSJ

Sorry, it all seems very equitable between the Express carriers !!

hithere
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by hithere »

The YHZ service that is being suspended are YHZ-YOW(currently done by CRJ-900 and YHZ-YDF route which is currently done by a Jazz DH4. So there are more cuts on the Jazz side. While I don’t doubt that the Atlantic bubble(or what remains of it) has caused a lot of these routes to be unprofitable, this also is a way for Rovinescu to dodge the pending Mainline grievance of CPA flying levels

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

I don’t think he’s cutting those routes to appease ACPA. It’s because no one is flying out there due to the government restrictions. Parked planes cost money. Flying mostly empty planes around costs LOTS of money.

Let’s Go Brandon
hithere
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by hithere »

Like I said, I don’t doubt the fact that these routes are not currently viable, but I’m sure several mainline routes aren’t currently viable either and I haven’t heard of a mainline route cut in a while...

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

hithere wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:55 pm Like I said, I don’t doubt the fact that these routes are not currently viable, but I’m sure several mainline routes aren’t currently viable either and I haven’t heard of a mainline route cut in a while...
These particular route cancelation announcements were made to a purpose.

They are to aggravate goatee-man in YOW. There was more blunt commentary from CR on the news today as well.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

They should cut all flights to YOW as well. Let the swamp creatures of Parliament Hill take the 401 in January with all the Brampton truck drivers. :roll:

The ones who survive might get the picture. :lol:

Let’s Go Brandon
Gulfstream5
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Gulfstream5 »

Loon-A-Tic wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 4:21 pm Not true,

"If one reads between the lines, and as my suspicions have confirmed , most of the routes affected are SKY regional."

Its a 50/50 split as per the Air Canada website;

SkyRegional destinations are CYDF, CYHZ and CYYG.

Jazz destinations are CYFC, YQY and CYSJ

Sorry, it all seems very equitable between the Express carriers !!
Potato/potato. Yqy has been flipping between the two carriers for months. The bottom line is express will be gone by this time next year. Restructuring à la United and AA.
However you are all right about pax loads into the Atlantic provinces. Ottawa routes should be cut to prevent the MPs from getting to work. All this should hopefully lead to federal assistance.

I can see smaller companies operating feeder routes as codeshare but not as a CPA.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Gulfstream5 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:52 pm
Potato/potato. Yqy has been flipping between the two carriers for months. The bottom line is express will be gone by this time next year. Restructuring à la United and AA.
However you are all right about pax loads into the Atlantic provinces. Ottawa routes should be cut to prevent the MPs from getting to work. All this should hopefully lead to federal assistance.

I can see smaller companies operating feeder routes as codeshare but not as a CPA.
I guess you are not following the axiom of not smoking what you are growing?

Express will look different. Smaller. But nothing along the lines of what you are suggesting (unless AC has plans for a return to CCAA which even then would simply trigger a renegotiation of the CHR CPA).

rigpiggy
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by rigpiggy »

Inverted2 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 5:07 pm They should cut all flights to YOW as well. Let the swamp creatures of Parliament Hill take the 401 in January with all the Brampton truck drivers. :roll:

The ones who survive might get the picture. :lol:
that would be fantastic

hithere
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by hithere »

GulfStream,
You strike me as a mainline pilot who would like nothing more than the demise of the CPA agreements than AC has with Jazz/Sky. Are you completely ignorant to the multi-year(as in 17 year in the case with Jazz) contracts that AC has with its CPA carriers? As in beyond 2025 at least eighty, 76 seat seat aircraft?
The only way these obligations could be negated is to enter bankruptcy restructuring. And all bets are off then. Not sure why you despise the CPA carriers so much but careful what you wish for

Gulfstream5
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Gulfstream5 »

rudder wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 7:03 pm
Gulfstream5 wrote: Tue Dec 08, 2020 6:52 pm

I guess you are not following the axiom of not smoking what you are growing?

Express will look different. Smaller. But nothing along the lines of what you are suggesting (unless AC has plans for a return to CCAA which even then would simply trigger a renegotiation of the CHR CPA).
Chorus is in the process of entertaining proposals for a buy-out, they may want to exit the CPA altogether and focus on other types of flying.
AC has NO need for e175s - therefore no need for sky.
The new "express" of the future will be airlines such as PIVOT, and bearskin operating code-share agreements for the very minimal amount of connecting feeder traffic post-pandemic.

No need for a crystal-ball on this one folks.

What ever happened with WestJet "link" ?

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

“The new "express" of the future will be airlines such as PIVOT, and bearskin operating code-share agreements for the very minimal amount of connecting feeder traffic post-pandemic.”

Are you aware PIVOT is a renamed GGN? I don’t think AC has that short of a memory. :rolleyes:

Let’s Go Brandon

Return to “Air Canada”