Curious. SYD-AKL-YVR

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Zanzibar
Rank 1
Rank 1

Curious. SYD-AKL-YVR

Post by Zanzibar »

I was wondering if anyone knows what cargo AC hauls on a regular basis on that South Pacific run?
---------- ADS -----------

Oxi
Rank 6
Rank 6

Re: Curious. SYD-AKL-YVR

Post by Oxi »

mostly mail

aV1aTOr
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by aV1aTOr »

Fruit, micro chips, car parts, medical equipment, and many other random things. There is no one single staple item that dominates the cargo. Interestingly, we often ship tens of thousands of live bees back from NZ to Canada.

goldeneagle
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goldeneagle »

aV1aTOr wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:41 pm Interestingly, we often ship tens of thousands of live bees back from NZ to Canada.
A friend of mine has a palette of bees arriving on March 5 that will be coming on that run. A package of bees holds 1 kilo of live bees (about 2500 bees), and there are about 700 packages in a shipment. Palettes of bees are usually delivered weekly from first week of March thru till the end of April or thereabouts.

Last year was a bit of a disaster for the beekeeping industry both in Canada and in NZ as the packages stopped coming after the first few loads were delivered, then the direct flights from Aukland stopped coming. My friend got the last delivery last year. There was a shortage of stock to replace winter die-off in Canada, and the NZ folks ran into a shortage of cash because they had no way to ship the product from NZ to CA. There are a lot of international restrictions on shipping bees, for the most part they have to go on direct flights because bees from NZ cant stopover in the USA, and connections thru Asia tend to leave them sitting on a hot ramp to long, they all die in transit.

Jack Klumpus
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Jack Klumpus »

If you’re really curious, have fun with this site.

https://oec.world/en/profile/country/ca ... ctor=flow0

When I retire, I’ll miss the clowns, not the circus.
L39Guy
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by L39Guy »

Crude and petroleum products almost $80B; more than cars and gold combined.

Whether we like to admit it or not, we are a harvester of our natural resources.

aV1aTOr
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by aV1aTOr »

goldeneagle wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:39 am
aV1aTOr wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:41 pm Interestingly, we often ship tens of thousands of live bees back from NZ to Canada.
A friend of mine has a palette of bees arriving on March 5 that will be coming on that run. A package of bees holds 1 kilo of live bees (about 2500 bees), and there are about 700 packages in a shipment. Palettes of bees are usually delivered weekly from first week of March thru till the end of April or thereabouts.

Last year was a bit of a disaster for the beekeeping industry both in Canada and in NZ as the packages stopped coming after the first few loads were delivered, then the direct flights from Aukland stopped coming. My friend got the last delivery last year. There was a shortage of stock to replace winter die-off in Canada, and the NZ folks ran into a shortage of cash because they had no way to ship the product from NZ to CA. There are a lot of international restrictions on shipping bees, for the most part they have to go on direct flights because bees from NZ cant stopover in the USA, and connections thru Asia tend to leave them sitting on a hot ramp to long, they all die in transit.
Super interesting. Thanks for sharing.

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

frozen dog shit

Return to “Air Canada”