ACPA MEC

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

imjustlurking
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: ACPA MEC

Post by imjustlurking »

Hangry wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:20 am
imjustlurking wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 5:30 am Why does it seem like every Air Canada pilot is afraid of ALPA?

Take a look at the airlines in Canada that are represented by ALPA. Do you see how the pilots are being treated better than you?

Even CargoJet pilots are finally able to breathe now that they have a union that is advocating for the pilots and not the company.
Again. And again. I saw how ALPA helped the WJ pilot group when Swoop was created. No thanks!

It’s the people. Not the banner.

WJ pilots are treated better than AC pilots?

You’ll forgive me if I find an Encore pilot telling me how bad I have it laughable.
I'm sorry, how many Air Canada pilots are still on the street?
---------- ADS -----------

Hangry
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hangry »

altiplano wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:34 pm <sarcasm font>

What?

Effective governance?

Comprehensive contract and negots support?

World wide expertise for direct member assistance?

Why would I want that?

Instead I've got guys that are best friends that go on date nights with management and even go join them across the table from time to time... I've got LRD that says we should never fight because we'll never win from his association paid Toronto condo... that's the authentic representation I'm looking for... I've got a contract and pay rates that have been pushing the bar lower for over a decade... I've got a worse lifestyle, a worse paycheque, and worse prospects than those before me... I work more, pay for more of my benefits,have seniority bypassed regularly, equipment bids and RIRs gerrymandered, and have multiple pay scales to try to sort out and promises of more lower scales to come!

</sarcasm font>

Get fuckin with it and open your eyes about where we are, where we were, and where we were headed... it's an embarrassment.

You want to compare a first contract at an LCC with a 85 year market leader, network, global alliance legacy airline? WTF? wake up.

I like to compare what ALPA has done for the membership at our major JV, ++, codeshare, alliance partner whose market we are a major player in and whose passengers we routinely carry. ie. United. Looks like ALPA has done right by them.

Or maybe we should just hire the United or Delta NC to come up and do a contract for us... I'd be happy with that as a start... Or should we send in the guy again that got the least votes in the most recent election? Maybe he can make best fit for blockholders too?
All of that sounds real good. All of that is totally within reach with ACPA or ALPA with the right people.

I just don’t think the answer to all our woes is ALPA. But I would love to be proven wrong.

a220hereicome
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by a220hereicome »

altiplano wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:34 pm I've got LRD that says we should never fight because we'll never win from his association paid Toronto condo...
Care to elaborate on that one? I'm not aware of anyone in ACPA, LRD or otherwise, getting any kind of housing allowance.

Transition9er2
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Transition9er2 »

a220hereicome wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:35 pm
altiplano wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:34 pm I've got LRD that says we should never fight because we'll never win from his association paid Toronto condo...
Care to elaborate on that one? I'm not aware of anyone in ACPA, LRD or otherwise, getting any kind of housing allowance.
Seriously, from that entire post “this” is what you chose to focus on?

I’ve read some of your posts lately and your credibility is really coming into question. Perhaps “less” might be more with trying to get your point across.

T.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Hangry wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 3:04 pm
altiplano wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:34 pm <sarcasm font>

What?

Effective governance?

Comprehensive contract and negots support?

World wide expertise for direct member assistance?

Why would I want that?

Instead I've got guys that are best friends that go on date nights with management and even go join them across the table from time to time... I've got LRD that says we should never fight because we'll never win from his association paid Toronto condo... that's the authentic representation I'm looking for... I've got a contract and pay rates that have been pushing the bar lower for over a decade... I've got a worse lifestyle, a worse paycheque, and worse prospects than those before me... I work more, pay for more of my benefits,have seniority bypassed regularly, equipment bids and RIRs gerrymandered, and have multiple pay scales to try to sort out and promises of more lower scales to come!

</sarcasm font>

Get fuckin with it and open your eyes about where we are, where we were, and where we were headed... it's an embarrassment.

You want to compare a first contract at an LCC with a 85 year market leader, network, global alliance legacy airline? WTF? wake up.

I like to compare what ALPA has done for the membership at our major JV, ++, codeshare, alliance partner whose market we are a major player in and whose passengers we routinely carry. ie. United. Looks like ALPA has done right by them.

Or maybe we should just hire the United or Delta NC to come up and do a contract for us... I'd be happy with that as a start... Or should we send in the guy again that got the least votes in the most recent election? Maybe he can make best fit for blockholders too?
All of that sounds real good. All of that is totally within reach with ACPA or ALPA with the right people.

I just don’t think the answer to all our woes is ALPA. But I would love to be proven wrong.
It's not a silver bullet, but it's a group we should hear from and decide on once and for all. It would solve a list of issues we have, governance, toolbox, advocacy, unity, governance...

Unfortunately I disagree that it's within reach at ACPA, we redid our governance and constitution only a few years ago. We hired expert advisors to help us and then didn't follow any of their recommendations.

The handful of "right" people we had never been pushed out at this point.

The entrenched club that has been running our association, that has been dividing our membership, that has been preying on our differences, that has cozied up to management has to be purged like the impacted fecal matter it is. In my opinion it's going to take a fresh start to achieve that.

Time is ticking... We deserve a new contract with the gap between our REAL comparators closed in 2023.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Housing allowances, commuting allowances, paid J tickets, expensive restaurants, fine wines, the list is extensive.... I wonder how much we've spent on in the home office equipment for our now stay at home association crew.... and how much is that "Mad Men" high style designer HQ that sits empty costing us? I mean empty other than the cellar of dry powder we're sitting on...

ACPA spends money on itself, not on representing members.

When was the last contract comparison?

Where's the grievance on vacation buybacks?

Where's the negots prep and member education?

RippleRock
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by RippleRock »

ACPA stopped working for the Membership long ago.

The real problem is, they have allowed us to fall so far and become so divided that anything resembling meaningful gains in 2024 will be impossible. I'm not one bit hopeful. Meaningful gains are had by meaningful groups. We lost our meaning and any concept of relevance from poor contract custodianship. We deviate off contract with MOA's with such regularity that it means nothing. Loose language --that a truck-- could be driven through, has pulverized our contract into a --sloppy interpretation manual--

I have no clue what "revision" of the contract we are even on right now.

We have been beaten so badly, and given so much for so long that most of us just want the beatings to stop. We will likely settle for pittance.

MontrealCanucks
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by MontrealCanucks »

I'm aware of an entire staff that are working from home, on full pay that were recommending pay cuts to the very people they are paid to represent

While we had a negotiating team that believes that comparing legacy carriers pilots to legacy carriers pilots makes as much sense as comparing pilots pay to flight attendants pay

Despite the fact that indeed North American legacy pilots were actually comparable to each other in recent history

A negotiating team that recommended a deal before finalizing the details. A negotiating team that sold Best Fit as similar to "other airlines" without talking to other airlines

A PBS team that told us we could bid on reserve patterns without being able to bid on them and then sending members tips on how make "pyramids" to get results.

A PBS committee that is more concerned about the "company's coverage requirements" than the actual members it apparently represents

All While having the Chair of the PBS committee & Vice Chair of the Negotiating committee getting the least amount of votes from the membership yet somehow is now the point of contact on "PBSC agreements" and finalizing this fiasco known as Best Fit

Acpa walked into the room with a Scope Violation and walked out with a complete erosion of seniority in awarding flying. The government dropped a gift in terms of fixing 3rd world reserve working conditions with a 10 years contract and the result was an epic diarrhea dump that a professional team is going to have to fix in the future

Torontomaplelaughs
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Torontomaplelaughs »

You're forgetting negotiating any sort of "sick if required" language when you're on reserve, unbiddable RAP periods, and they couldn't even sort out what is a "red eye"...

Gong show

dumpsterfire
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by dumpsterfire »

So the architects of this dumpster fire think they are going to fix the dumpster fire :lol:

Is this for real?

Or are they too daft to see that there is even a dumpster fire?

I guess when you got an unelected guy calling the shots with a guy that got voted in at a base of 50...nothing could be surprising

Montroyal
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Montroyal »

Ànd now I see on the other thread the brand new YUL Vice Chair did volunteer overtime with furloughs to go to his first ever union meeting as a member of the MEC?

Question is does one cry or laugh?

:lol: :cry:

Like OMFG

Return to “Air Canada”