Overtime available

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Ratherbe
Rank 3
Rank 3

Overtime available

Post by Ratherbe »

Is it just me or is there a major moral issue in making oneself available for overtime when we are on reduced hours? Everyone wants to see the industry recover but the individuals flying over 90 hours are not saviours they are opportunists. If the Company can’t maintain the schedule they need to increase the DBM’s for all of us. Not to mention our 600 furloughed peers.
Is it just me?
---------- ADS -----------

simply_no_one
Rank 3
Rank 3

Re: Overtime available

Post by simply_no_one »

I'm sure you saw the long disgusting post someone made on the AC forum justifying his actions.

Ratherbe
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ratherbe »

Yes but I’m not talking about him. At least he tried to explain himself. There are plenty more. Senior and junior. I saw one who was previously listed as surplus. Go figure.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Tried to explain?

That's not how it sounded.

"Hey bro flying the cargo to all the hotspots is like, cool, bro."

The guy sounded like a dick. 30 hours at premium is the only motivation.

RRJetPilot
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by RRJetPilot »

I dont know if he was trying to be funny or sarcastic but he sounded like a complete loser. Another one somehow got by the screening process.

bcflyer
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by bcflyer »

Ratherbe wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:11 pm Is it just me or is there a major moral issue in making oneself available for overtime when we are on reduced hours? Everyone wants to see the industry recover but the individuals flying over 90 hours are not saviours they are opportunists. If the Company can’t maintain the schedule they need to increase the DBM’s for all of us. Not to mention our 600 furloughed peers.
Is it just me?
To answer your question, no it’s not just you. I find it disgusting and extremely short sighted. Just because “it’s in the contract” doesn’t make it morally or even logically right.

Dias
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Dias »

RRJetPilot wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 8:06 pm I dont know if he was trying to be funny or sarcastic but he sounded like a complete loser. Another one somehow got by the screening process.
False. The screening process is specifically tailored for him to succeed.

Ratherbe
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ratherbe »

I see a couple pilots are very close to breaking 100 hours this month. I wonder which one is going to win the race?

Commonwealth
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Commonwealth »

Ratherbe wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 7:11 pm Is it just me or is there a major moral issue in making oneself available for overtime when we are on reduced hours? Everyone wants to see the industry recover but the individuals flying over 90 hours are not saviours they are opportunists. If the Company can’t maintain the schedule they need to increase the DBM’s for all of us. Not to mention our 600 furloughed peers.
Is it just me?
This is a story older than the entire industry. I have seen it at many operators and it is always the same thing. Is there a place or was there a time when this did not happen. I am actually curious if someone has an example.

alkaseltzer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by alkaseltzer »

Is it just me?
As bad of a taste it leaves in your mouth, this is not their fault.

Consider this:
Is it a major moral issue that some of our furloughed pilots are taking King Air FO (not captain) positions? - aren’t they setting back the clock for the 1000hr flight instructor that needs to get that turbine time? YES!! Why does a furloughed Air Canada/Westjet pilot need to go back to flying any small twin turbine as First Officer?!! They have seniority numbers at a major. Give it to someone else.

A ‘scab’ is in the eye of the beholder. This is across all professions and “opportunists” is the storyline behind 7PM TV shows.

Those doing overtime, have their reasons. Maybe it’s greed, or they need it desperately.

One shouldn’t gloat about it, that’s all.

Ratherbe
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ratherbe »

It’s not their fault for being greedy? Who’s is it then? And you’re saying there’s nothing wrong with having zero integrity as long as you keep quiet about it?

Sorry I don’t buy your rationalization.

simply_no_one
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by simply_no_one »

alkaseltzer wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:17 pm
Is it just me?

Consider this:
Is it a major moral issue that some of our furloughed pilots are taking King Air FO (not captain) positions? - aren’t they setting back the clock for the 1000hr flight instructor that needs to get that turbine time? YES!! Why does a furloughed Air Canada/Westjet pilot need to go back to flying any small twin turbine as First Officer?!! They have seniority numbers at a major. Give it to someone else.

A ‘scab’ is in the eye of the beholder. This is across all professions and “opportunists” is the storyline behind 7PM TV shows.

Those doing overtime, have their reasons. Maybe it’s greed, or they need it desperately.

Wow.

alkaseltzer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by alkaseltzer »

Ratherbe wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 4:42 pm It’s not their fault for being greedy? Who’s is it then? And you’re saying there’s nothing wrong with having zero integrity as long as you keep quiet about it?

Sorry I don’t buy your rationalization.
That’s not what I said.

Learn how to rationalize, (maybe read some of the recent memos too), and you’ll understand.

YHZFog
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by YHZFog »

Is it just me?
In every group, you will have a$$holes that will try to get some advantage while screwing other people, it's human nature I guess. That is why we have institutions that work for the entire group and not for individuals (in theory). We had a similar case at an airline I used to work for, the solution... the union issued a mandate to all pilots not to take any overtime and, the pilot group complied because if not, you would get a call from the president of the union.
In this case, it is more complicated because we don't have an MEC that works for the pilot group. Let's remember that they gave themselves raises while other pilots were being furloughed so, they don't even have the moral high ground to make that phone call.
Just my opinion.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

YHZFog wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 10:20 am We had a similar case at an airline I used to work for, the solution... the union issued a mandate to all pilots not to take any overtime and, the pilot group complied because if not, you would get a call from the president of the union.
How would such a mandate be enforced? What would happen to the pilot if he ignored the phone call?

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
RippleRock
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by RippleRock »

Is it just me?

Consider this:

HUGE difference between an AC pilot flying 90 hours+ and a guy trying to feed their family in the right seat of a King Air. I fail to see any parallel.

Not ONE pilot should be accepting, or listing for VO with Members on lay-off. There should be a list of these hogs circulating. They are greedy nothing more. There is NO WAY to justify it, just as there wasn't back in the summer of 2004 and 2005 with 185 pilots on the street. ACPA as usual is silent on the matter, which is equally disgusting.

Personally, I would never do it as there are plenty that will soon be FO's of mine. It would make for an icy layover/flightdeck and I couldn't blame them one fig. It's easy for them to figure out who the hogs are, and those hogs will wear that title like they should.

Mrbobmarly111
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Mrbobmarly111 »

Holy everyone relax. Im Furloughed and im ok with people taking overtime etc etc.... this is the way things are who cares. If they wouldn't the next person would take it. If you want VO draft etc to stop it has to be union mandated. Otherwise just relax.

simply_no_one
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by simply_no_one »

Mrbobmarly111 wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:26 pm Holy everyone relax. Im Furloughed and im ok with people taking overtime etc etc.... this is the way things are who cares. If they wouldn't the next person would take it. If you want VO draft etc to stop it has to be union mandated. Otherwise just relax.
I'm not and neither are many other furloughed pilots I know. And many active pilots. You're an anomaly.

The idea is NO ONE should be taking VO. So if someone passes then no one after them should say yes. Flight gets cancelled or delayed so a reserve can do it. Then the company has to contemplate what do going forward, which means considering recalls earlier than later. It's not rocket surgery.

It's called a little fucking solidarity. Something many AC pilots have yet to learn. But as long as people like the guy who made that long post on the other forum exist who defend flying 100 hours, nothing will change.

Jimmy_Hoffa
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Jimmy_Hoffa »

RippleRock wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 11:27 am
Is it just me?

Consider this:

HUGE difference between an AC pilot flying 90 hours+ and a guy trying to feed their family in the right seat of a King Air. I fail to see any parallel.

Not ONE pilot should be accepting, or listing for VO with Members on lay-off. There should be a list of these hogs circulating. They are greedy nothing more. There is NO WAY to justify it, just as there wasn't back in the summer of 2004 and 2005 with 185 pilots on the street. ACPA as usual is silent on the matter, which is equally disgusting.

Personally, I would never do it as there are plenty that will soon be FO's of mine. It would make for an icy layover/flightdeck and I couldn't blame them one fig. It's easy for them to figure out who the hogs are, and those hogs will wear that title like they should.
This sentiment is deeply flawed in its foundation.
There is literally only one fleet at one base that is seeing these numbers of hours. None of the other base groups are even coming close. Pilots doing VO will do nothing to bring back pilots on furlough, in fact I am surprised we have not furloughed more.
Everything that has been done at the Union / contract level has been done to protect and benefit those individuals that are sitting at home and have not even seen an airplane in a year or those that will not come even close to getting over the minimum guarantee. Nothing has been done to recognize or benefit the pilots that have actually been flying all year long and been greeted like lepers amongst their communities upon their return home. Including by extension their family members, especially those having to deal with life in ‘the bubble.’ So I don’t blame anyone at this point for increasing their compensation after 1 year of reduced wages and increased negative affects directly related to being on a fleet doing international flights.
As soon as flying returns to other fleets you can guarantee people will be lined up to do VO to make up lost income regardless of pilots on furlough. This isn’t like times past where pilots have been laid off and everyone was still doing full blocks.
To add to the flawed logic why would the representative demographic of the fleet you are pissed at all of a sudden not do VO when the membership overwhelming agrees that they should take pay cuts to secure ‘new’ flying, the very flying that that fleet has been doing to support all those still sitting at home just getting paid.
Pilot unity was destroyed collectively between ACPA and AC over the last decade and every vote in the last 10 years supports that narrative. Why would you expect any less from the pilot group that doing what serves the individual. Just add up the Yes voters.

-Jimmy Hoffa

mbav8r
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by mbav8r »

I believe, in Canada anyway, that if the union were to put out a policy or even a recommendation of no OT, that is considered job action and is illegal.

"Stand-by, I'm inverted"

Return to “Air Canada”