Support For Tony

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

SeaBat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Support For Tony

Post by SeaBat »

Although I am not a fan of how Tony conducted himself in his recent video, I am now very concerned about the Pilot's DB pension at Air Canada. In the video, Tony spoke of how the Union is corroborating with the Company to secretly give up (or hand over) a portion of our pension. It is concerning because the Company and the Union have recently informed us that they are looking at reinvesting the pension funds or changing the management of a portion of the funds - it is hard to tell what the plan is because the information from the Union is ambiguous in this regard. I am even more concerned now because I recently learned that Tony's son is a well respected Lawyer in a well respected Law firm, and surely his son would set his father straight if he didn't have a case.

I remember a few years ago when ACPA conducted a poll with a multitude of questions on the way forward. The only question that I remember is one that states - "who do you trust more, the Company or the Union?" it was alarming that the majority of the membership said that they trusted the Company more than their own Union.

Thank you Tony for standing up for us. I look forward to see the results of your lawsuit.
---------- ADS -----------

notwhoyouthinkIam
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Support For Tony

Post by notwhoyouthinkIam »

SeaBat wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:55 am I recently learned that Tony's son is a well respected Lawyer in a well respected Law firm, and surely his son would set his father straight if he didn't have a case.
Your conclusion is based on circumstantial evidence.

You are assuming that
  • His son is actually a lawyer at that law firm (which you heard on this forum), and
  • He spoke to his son, and
  • His son told him that he has a case
Having opinionated parents of my own, I can tell you that they do not always listen and having an expert as a child does not mean that they will understand.

With that said, I'm pretty sure a lawyer would say not to record themselves being an ass and post it on the internet under his own name... but what do I know?

Jimmy_Hoffa
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Jimmy_Hoffa »

Simon Ledsham - 1st year associate at Stikeman Elliott in Montreal.
McGill University (B.C.L. and LL.B., 2018), McGill University (B.A. Political Science, First Class Honours with Distinction, 2015), Admitted to the Quebec Bar in 2020. He also wrote for and edited a hockey stick manufacturer's official blog from 2016 to 2019, publishing technical articles and managing online community relations.

ALPApolicy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ALPApolicy »

I am not sure if this has been posted here before, but here is a link to the arbitrator's decision on Dec 2, 2020, which includes reference to the November 18, 2020 Zoom meeting involving the arbitrator, Tony, Captain Gauthier and the legal counsel for ACPA.

notwhoyouthinkIam
Rank 7
Rank 7

The evidence before me is that the Association took great steps to address Mr. Ledsham’s concerns, tolerate his behaviours and warn him that his behaviours were inappropriate.
Looks like my assumptions about Tony are shared with the judge who presided over that case.

Thank you ALPAPolicy for the insight.

The unfortunate thing about this for Tony is that, had he not been so proud of his actions and broadcast it to the world, his career might not be in jeopardy. I cannot imagine anyone would hire him after a reference check with Air Canada.

SeaBat
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by SeaBat »

notwhoyouthinkIam wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:53 am
The unfortunate thing about this for Tony is that, had he not been so proud of his actions and broadcast it to the world, his career might not be in jeopardy. I cannot imagine anyone would hire him after a reference check with Air Canada.
It's comments like this that make me even more concerned. "notwhoyouthinkIam" is obviously very invested in this case - possibly someone from the union... I don't know. But, only a person with less-than-good intentions would post something so unprofessional.

ALPApolicy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ALPApolicy »

Aren't all AC pilots "from the union"?

notwhoyouthinkIam
Rank 7
Rank 7

SeaBat wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 12:14 pm
notwhoyouthinkIam wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:53 am The unfortunate thing about this for Tony is that, had he not been so proud of his actions and broadcast it to the world, his career might not be in jeopardy. I cannot imagine anyone would hire him after a reference check with Air Canada.
It's comments like this that make me even more concerned. "notwhoyouthinkIam" is obviously very invested in this case - possibly someone from the union... I don't know. But, only a person with less-than-good intentions would post something so unprofessional.
I won't be able to convince you otherwise, and honestly, it doesn't matter to me.

But for the record, I have no association with Air Canada or ACPA.

My investment in this situation is that I pointed out a flaw in Tony's logic and he then began to tell me that I was defaming him. I don't appreciate people who bully others.

alkaseltzer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by alkaseltzer »

notwhoyouthinkIam wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:47 pm
notwhoyouthinkIam wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:53 am The unfortunate thing about this for Tony is that, had he not been so proud of his actions and broadcast it to the world, his career might not be in jeopardy. I cannot imagine anyone would hire him after a reference check with Air Canada.
I won't be able to convince you otherwise, and honestly, it doesn't matter to me.

My investment in this situation is that I pointed out a flaw in Tony's logic and he then began to tell me that I was defaming him. I don't appreciate people who bully others.
You work for Jazz!!

notwhoyouthinkIam
Rank 7
Rank 7

alkaseltzer wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 4:23 pm
notwhoyouthinkIam wrote: Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:47 pm

You work for Jazz!!
I will not confirm or deny.

Hangry
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by Hangry »

He’s got major Encore energy. Definitely Encore.

the-minister31
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by the-minister31 »

Maybe PAL, or maybe even CMA !

Might as well throw them all in ! :p

notwhoyouthinkIam
Rank 7
Rank 7

I mean, while you're at it, you might as well throw some flight schools in and maybe a skydive operation for good measure :)

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

Or maybe its....

who cares.

grimreaper70
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by grimreaper70 »

Happy cancelled Canada Day my fellow Canuckistaners! In the spirit of cancel culture perhaps it is time to reflect on an organization that should be canceled for crimes against its members that shares the word “Canada”.

ACPA, which in theory represents the largest pilot group in Canada, has had quite the week. But generally every week it does. The naughty list around there is so long it would make Santa cringe at that thought of dropping anything off at HQ other than a lump of coal while seeing a wish list of hour credits & OT.

This week we had elected reps from the west coast (also known as the left coast but theft coast might be more appropriate) wring that OT towel dry with some extra flying while the company speculated furloughs won’t be back till 2023. I suppose we don’t really need elves anymore when we got fully qualified airline pilots driving delivery trucks. Hopefully at the minimum this OT money spins off some economic activity when our great leaders return and buy themselves some Amazon packages to be of course be delivered by one of their own former members. Perhaps a bad elf to help with those B777 ocean crossings would be appropriate given the name.

On full AvCanada display was the final solution of one its own. Reading the thread was like watching a pack of hyenas nipping to death a once mighty Lion until it fatally succumbs to the inevitable. Yes, the lion is old and not the same beast it once was leading a pride of its own and is now so bewildered it can’t even decipher friend from foe. Yes, the lion is so off its mark that it is hard watch it run aimlessly in circles. Nonetheless, it still deserves enough respect from its very own and certainly some decency would suggest the basic amount of empathy to a veteran of combat no less. But no, we didn’t get that decency, and the movie “Alive” was played out as ACPA lackey’s waved pom poms and chowed down on that juicy First Officer buttocks. Sickening.

There were bullets flying around here from so many arcs it was hard to tell what the hell was going on, the “Fog of War” had nothing on that thread. Regardless, nothing clouds what we have here. We have an organization so out of date that I would fully expect pencil sharpeners on office walls next to the chalkboard with a leadership team so unable to adapt that it makes the Catholic Church look like a leader in versatility. ACPA should be a case study in a business class on what can happen with the combination of shareholder apathy, egotistical leaders and a structure that couldn’t hold up a Canadian Tire tent.

The final irony is constitutional changes coming to a vote. I honestly don’t know what is more ironic, expecting an apathetic membership to care when it barely pays attention to elections or this organization imposing social media policies with less social media presence than Bam Bam’s Tinder page from the stone ages in Bedrock. Nonetheless, I hope every Canuckistaner a great Canada Day as most of us sit at home drinking our Molson while US carriers can’t even find enough pilots to gear up for a busy July 4th.

Canada – what a country!

RightPlaceWrongTime
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by RightPlaceWrongTime »

Honest question here. Would a DFR (Duty of Fair Representation) case hold water when it comes to said MEC members? While we have pilots on reduced blocks and 600 pilots on furlough I have a hard time understanding how these elected officials are properly representing the membership while working 95 hours in the month of June. We have a serious accountabilty problem festering within ACPA.

When will it be time it gets dealt with?

ALPApolicy
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by ALPApolicy »

RightPlaceWrongTime wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:32 pm Honest question here. Would a DFR (Duty of Fair Representation) case hold water when it comes to said MEC members? While we have pilots on reduced blocks and 600 pilots on furlough I have a hard time understanding how these elected officials are properly representing the membership while working 95 hours in the month of June. We have a serious accountabilty problem festering within ACPA.

To answer your first question: NO.

Julian.B
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Julian.B »

What? Union members "ignoring" their duties while doing 95 hrs credit a month? I'm shocked *sarcasm*. Where have I heard that before?

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

RightPlaceWrongTime wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 1:32 pm Honest question here. Would a DFR (Duty of Fair Representation) case hold water when it comes to said MEC members? While we have pilots on reduced blocks and 600 pilots on furlough I have a hard time understanding how these elected officials are properly representing the membership while working 95 hours in the month of June. We have a serious accountabilty problem festering within ACPA.

It isn't a DFR issue.

It's a hypocritical, tone deaf representation issue in YVR.

Someone in YVR should head up a recall petition... otherwise you've got 2.5 years to go with one, and 1.5 years to go with the other. That will take us through the next reopener in 2023, and I expect to see a full blown new 10 year+ deal negotiated at that time and rammed through the MEC by YVR/YWG/YUL... all afraid of big bad Toronto base getting more flying so they're motivated to knee cap the entire contract for shiny bobbles and WB promises.

Julian.B
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Julian.B »

altiplano wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:28 am

It isn't a DFR issue.

It's a hypocritical, tone deaf representation issue in YVR.

Someone in YVR should head up a recall petition... otherwise you've got 2.5 years to go with one, and 1.5 years to go with the other. That will take us through the next reopener in 2023, and I expect to see a full blown new 10 year+ deal negotiated at that time and rammed through the MEC by YVR/YWG/YUL... all afraid of big bad Toronto base getting more flying so they're motivated to knee cap the entire contract for shiny bobbles and WB promises.

Altiplano,

I agree with you 100%. It seems that most unions play the "fear card", saying "If you don't do this, we'll be way worse off than before". Us Canadians have a weak appetite for fear and discomfort. We like to be safe, in (perceived) control and live our life big, dumb and happy. Shaving a little bit at a time from our standard of living is completely acceptable to large percentage.

Return to “Air Canada”