Take the vaccine, or lose your job - WTF?

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Posthumane
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Take the vaccine, or lose your job - WTF?

Post by Posthumane »

pecessix wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 7:44 pm
I was not talking about vaccines in general, but about this particular vaccine, against covid, and what you said about mutations.
Most of the vaccines prevent the transmission, so they reduce the risk of mutations (so are efficient in getting rid of the virus). But this covid vaccines do not reduce the transmission, it's written on the notice! So it cannot stop the mutations, even with 100% vaccinated people.
This is incorrect. It is not transmission (from person to person) that causes mutations, it is viral replication*. Although the virus can still settle in the upper respiratory tract of a vaccinated person and therefore allow it to spread, a functioning immune system tries to stop viral replication in order to save the cells and systems. A primed immune system does a better job of this, and therefore there is less replication in vaccinated people. Less replication = less mutations, and lower chance of a mutation that increases the abilities of the virus to replicate further.

*The mutation rate of sars-cov-2 is such that every person who ends up getting infected enough to be sick ends up with a significant number of mutations, so it's all a probabilistic game.
---------- ADS -----------

"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it." -George Bernard Shaw
EPR
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by EPR »

pecessix wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:56 pm
For not understanding that the less people are vaccinated the more options for mutations to this disease. The more mutations, the more vaccination can become ineffective. If so, it is back to square one or worst.

It doesn’t take a PhD in virology to understand that.

Those vaccines are only reducing the symptoms if you get covid. You will just be less sick and may not have to spend some time in a hospital.
But it does not prevent the transmission on this virus, it doesn't protect you from getting the virus, therefore it does not prevent the mutations, therefore that thing will be here for a while, vaccinated or not.
It doesn't take a PhD to understand that...
Actually you're wrong pecessix, it takes the unvaccinated that comes down with Covid to allow it to mutate, once vaccinated = negative mutation!

Keep the dirty side down.
EPR
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by EPR »

pecessix wrote: Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:56 pm
For not understanding that the less people are vaccinated the more options for mutations to this disease. The more mutations, the more vaccination can become ineffective. If so, it is back to square one or worst.

It doesn’t take a PhD in virology to understand that.

Those vaccines are only reducing the symptoms if you get covid. You will just be less sick and may not have to spend some time in a hospital.
But it does not prevent the transmission on this virus, it doesn't protect you from getting the virus, therefore it does not prevent the mutations, therefore that thing will be here for a while, vaccinated or not.
It doesn't take a PhD to understand that...
You're wrong dude, it takes the un-vaccinated that catches Covid in order for the virus to mutate! Covid won't mutate in a vaccinated individual! #GetYourVax #StopCovid #Let'sGetBackToNormal

Keep the dirty side down.
altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

EPR wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 11:44 pm You're wrong dude, it takes the un-vaccinated that catches Covid in order for the virus to mutate! Covid won't mutate in a vaccinated individual!
No. You are wrong. Every time a virus replicates itself there is a chance of mutation. Every time.

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

You realize covid is spreading and mutating through kids who can't get vaccinated. Who cares that it mutates.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/prince-e ... -1.6173053

School closures begin! Yipeee! Schools out forrrrr everrrr! :lol: :lol: :rolleyes:

Why even bother getting in a pissing match over adult vaccinations when 20 percent of the population can't get vaccinated and probably never should. This things gonna mutate... Whether that's here or somewhere else in the world.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Right.

But the whole "blame the unvaccinated for mutations" is just another fallacy that the holier than thou vaccinated did their part are heaping on their medical apartheid divided state argument, and it's bullshit.

Mu variant now doesn't give a shit about your vaccine or your eventual booster... not that delta really did either, but at least they are acknowledging it more broadly with this one.

This will pandemic will continue until it burns itself out.

Protect the vulnerable. Take personal responsibility to protect yourself. Support each other through the challenges. Stop pushing division and collapse of what we once had.

How weak are our values, how absent is our integrity, how much societal damage are we going to inflict along the path is the only question.

So far we are a frail, scared, reactionary society of tribes. F- for a strong free nation. F- for leadership. F- for a united people.

QKZXKV
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by QKZXKV »

altiplano wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:50 am Right.

But the whole "blame the unvaccinated for mutations" is just another fallacy that the holier than thou vaccinated did their part are heaping on their medical apartheid divided state argument, and it's bullshit.
I agree with you on that. ALL our variants were mutations that evolved over time pre-vaccination. To blame vaccinated vs unvaccinated in some divisive commentary, as some do, is nonsensical since the mutations were all before the vaccines and will continue to mutate after vaccination. That's how it works. It's funny how people point to evolution for one thing but then with this dumb virus, they refuse to believe that the thing will evolve over time and what's happening is a natural phenomenon in the world we live in. Health measures to try and "neutralize" the evolution of a virus are nothing short of naive.

Ratherbe
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ratherbe »

altiplano wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:50 am
Protect the vulnerable. Take personal responsibility to protect yourself. Support each other through the challenges.
So get vaccinated or remove yourself from society. Doing otherwise will harm the vulnerable, is grossly irresponsible and will prolong the challenges we have all endured for the last year and half. Enough already.

Ratherbe
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Ratherbe »

[/quote]
Health measures to try and "neutralize" the evolution of a virus are nothing short of naive.
[/quote]

You mean like Polio? Tetanus? Hep A? Hep B? Rubella? Hib? Measles? Whooping Cough? Pneumococcal Disease? Rotavirus? Mumps? Chickenpox? Diphtheria?

It’s too bad there isn’t anything yet for sheer stupidity but I guess Darwin has a process to eliminate that.

mmm..bacon
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by mmm..bacon »

Ratherbe wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:47 pm
Health measures to try and "neutralize" the evolution of a virus are nothing short of naive.
[/quote]

You mean like Polio? Tetanus? Hep A? Hep B? Rubella? Hib? Measles? Whooping Cough? Pneumococcal Disease? Rotavirus? Mumps? Chickenpox? Diphtheria?

[/quote]

I wonder if there might be something different in the way that SARS C19 works that might make it different than the diseases that you've mentioned? Honestly don't know - just putting it out there.

What I do know is that this is probably post-graduate or doctoral level virology/immunology that (probably) none of us on here are remotely qualified to discuss with any authority..

Everything has an end, except a sausage, which has two!
altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Ratherbe wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:42 pm
altiplano wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:50 am
Protect the vulnerable. Take personal responsibility to protect yourself. Support each other through the challenges.
So get vaccinated or remove yourself from society. Doing otherwise will harm the vulnerable, is grossly irresponsible and will prolong the challenges we have all endured for the last year and half. Enough already.
LOL... you think the vaccines will stop it... covid will stop when covid stops... highly vaccinated populations and it's still running around.

You guys can't get your vaccination reasoning straight... vaccinated people still contract and transmit the virus - that's a fact. You aren't protecting anyone else.

if you're vulnerable or worried you get the vaccine to protect yourself and hopefully reduce or eliminate the symptoms.

If you're really vulnerable or worried you isolate, or take measures to limit the chance of exposure.

If you're a regular person you can still take responsibility for yourself and behaviour, utilize measures to protect yourself, avoid dense indoor crowds, wash your hands, don't touch your face. These are always good measures.

However far on we are and somehow.- it must be a fricking miracle - living in the most densely populated place in the country, working, flying, travelling, eating out, laying over in places across the continent - so called covid hot beds - Alberta, New York, Florida, California, Mexico, Kelowna - doing what I need to do, day in, day out, I've operated I don't know how many "covid flights" now that I've been notified, I've been notified of covid in my row on personal and deadhead flights... somehow, hallelujah, I'm still going strong without covid.

I take responsibility for myself.

As far as I can tell this is a pandemic of nose pickers and mouth breathers that can't control their behaviour.

If you are one of these you should probably get vaccinated.

Medical apartheid won't change anything. Just one more rule won't change anything.

Protect yourself by stopping the spread.
That's what's responsible. Make no mistake I've done and an doing my part by not contracting or spreading covid.

Running around with your hubris and fake vaccine immunity passport doesn't do that.

You want to end this? Control yourself.

Mône
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Mône »

Medical apartheid??!?

You're seriously comparing the requirement to get a vaccine to 40 years+ of racial segregation?

Get a clue

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Mône wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:22 am Medical apartheid??!?

You're seriously comparing the requirement to get a vaccine to 40 years+ of racial segregation?

Get a clue
You need to get a clue.

Legalized segregation of society based on individuals private medical status and without clear goals it intends to achieve other than punishing and coercing a minority group is what you are advocating.

Mône
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Mône »

No, I'm not advocating anything. If you learned to read you would I understand I did not type a single word about any of that bullshit your so fond to confront about.

I wrote:

You are comparing 40+ years of racial segregation. You know, black people being denied rights in South Africa and stuff, wrap your head around this; people, because they were black, being treated like shit for FOURTY YEARS

Your problem is comparable?

This is why I'm never on this forum anymore. Don't bother replying I'm not visiting this website anytime soon again

dialdriver
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by dialdriver »

altiplano wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:27 am

Get a clue
You need to get a clue.

Legalized segregation of society based on individuals private medical status and without clear goals it intends to achieve other than punishing and coercing a minority group is what you are advocating.
The goals are very clear, to everyone else.

Your comparison is ridiculous.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_e ... ranges.%22

Last edited by dialdriver on Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
goldeneagle
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goldeneagle »

Ratherbe wrote: Wed Sep 15, 2021 9:47 pm You mean like Polio? Tetanus? Hep A? Hep B? Rubella? Hib? Measles? Whooping Cough? Pneumococcal Disease? Rotavirus? Mumps? Chickenpox? Diphtheria?
Ya missed one.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

dialdriver wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:19 am
altiplano wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 8:27 am

Get a clue
You need to get a clue.

The goals are very clear, to everyone else.

Your comparison is ridiculous.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_e ... ranges.%22
Spell them out.

a220hereicome
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by a220hereicome »

altiplano wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:46 am

However far on we are and somehow.- it must be a fricking miracle - living in the most densely populated place in the country, working, flying, travelling, eating out, laying over in places across the continent - so called covid hot beds - Alberta, New York, Florida, California, Mexico, Kelowna - doing what I need to do, day in, day out, I've operated I don't know how many "covid flights" now that I've been notified, I've been notified of covid in my row on personal and deadhead flights... somehow, hallelujah, I'm still going strong without covid.

I take responsibility for myself.
altiplano, you're taking care of yourself, while the rest of us take care of each other. The ICU beds in Alberta are almost full, and it's mostly the unvaccinated. But as long as the rest of us chumps get vaccinated, there should be an ICU bed for you if you get a severe case of COVID. And if you think you're not at risk because you're young and healthy, ask Fred VanVleet, or Jason Tatum. Two NBA stars who both got COVID. Supreme athletes, yet they got knocked on their ass. Jason Tatum said his breathing was affected for months.

As for having to navigate all those hot spots with work. You won't have to worry about that after next month.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Mône wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:06 am No, I'm not advocating anything. If you learned to read you would I understand I did not type a single word about any of that bullshit your so fond to confront about.

I wrote:

You are comparing 40+ years of racial segregation. You know, black people being denied rights in South Africa and stuff, wrap your head around this; people, because they were black, being treated like shit for FOURTY YEARS

This is why I'm never on this forum anymore. Don't bother replying I'm not visiting this website anytime soon again
Apologies if you aren't pro societal segregation.

Seriously though, you come in all offended and triggered and can't handle a retort to you telling me to get a clue? Not you're going to go mope?

It's a parallel, and even if it's only one day or one year or one decade and not FORTY years, it's a start down the wrong path and against the values of a free and open society.

It needs to be called out for what it is on day one, and if that triggers you well you can use a stroller term like "medical segregation" if you prefer.

There's no end game published here. No stated goals to be achieved. No snap back points. Just general restriction with what people guess the target is... We are allowing open infringement and limits on our free society beyond what is reasonable to achieve political points.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Mône wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 9:06 am No, I'm not advocating anything. If you learned to read you would I understand I did not type a single word about any of that bullshit your so fond to confront about.

I wrote:

Apologies if you aren't pro societal segregation.

Seriously though, you come in all offended and triggered and can't handle a retort to you telling me to get a clue? Not you're going to go mope?

It's a parallel, and even if it's only one day or one year or one decade and not FORTY years, it's a start down the wrong path and against the values of a free and open society.

It needs to be called out for what it is on day one, and if that triggers you well you can use a stroller term like "medical segregation" if you prefer.

There's no end game published here. No stated goals to be achieved. No snap back points. Just general restriction with what people guess the target is... We are allowing open infringement and limits on our free society beyond what is reasonable to achieve political points.

Return to “Air Canada”