Take the vaccine, or lose your job - WTF?

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

TG
Rank 10
Rank 10

Re: Take the vaccine, or lose your job - WTF?

Post by TG »

imjustlurking wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:04 am
737Maximilian wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:57 am The government has officially mandated all employers in the federally regulated transportation sector must establish a vaccination policy by October 30th:

https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-cana ... llers.html
Jab and job or refuse and lose!
Asking nicely didn't work, so the careless needed to be compelled.
---------- ADS -----------

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

https://health-infobase.canada.ca/covid ... -coverage/

Looks like Mandatory employer vaccine programs are working. Noticeable uptick in vaccinations. Maybe 1-2 percent more Canadians vaccinated than what would have, or 500,000-1000000 people.

My bet is with these 1 million people vaccinated we will now be able to remove our masks, declare covid endemic and no longer need restrictions. Hip hip hooray! :lol:

imjustlurking
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by imjustlurking »

montado wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 5:57 am https://health-infobase.canada.ca/covid ... -coverage/

Looks like Mandatory employer vaccine programs are working. Noticeable uptick in vaccinations. Maybe 1-2 percent more Canadians vaccinated than what would have, or 500,000-1000000 people.

My bet is with these 1 million people vaccinated we will now be able to remove our masks, declare covid endemic and no longer need restrictions. Hip hip hooray! :lol:
The mandatory vaccines to work a federally regulated job is more effective than the calls that the MOH is doing to people who haven't had a vaccine yet.

ikarus
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by ikarus »

TG wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:11 am
737Maximilian wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:57 am The government has officially mandated all employers in the federally regulated transportation sector must establish a vaccination policy by October 30th:

https://www.canada.ca/en/transport-cana ... llers.html
You should be a great leader of future SSS division in Canada. Compelling your fellow colleagues to take something inside their body that may or may not work. That still does not prevent transmission or that you can still die.

Insteresting data from US today. Over 67% of population vaccinated, but so far a higher death toll from covid then in 2020. And we still have almost 3 months left. Intersting..

palebird
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by palebird »

So the message being implied is that whenever enough people are vaxxed we get to take masks off and go back to "normal." Wrongo. You have been taken for a ride. But beyond all of this vaxx mandate nonsense the IMF, of all people, has determined that the world is about to slip into a major economic depression. You don't see that being reported in the MSM but it is out there. The IMF is an establishment organization. Now why would they say such a thing? Well it is their job. I am sure if anyone cares to look around that there are many companies that have closed up and their former premises are up for lease. That is the canary in the coalmine. Nothing is going back to normal. Plus the fact, yes the fact, that energy and fossil fuel alarmism is about to slap the world in the face. Not in my backyard you say? We will soon find out.

imjustlurking
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by imjustlurking »

ikarus wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:18 am

You should be a great leader of future SSS division in Canada. Compelling your fellow colleagues to take something inside their body that may or may not work. That still does not prevent transmission or that you can still die.

Insteresting data from US today. Over 67% of population vaccinated, but so far a higher death toll from covid then in 2020. And we still have almost 3 months left. Intersting..
Airplanes may or may not fly, and they don't guarantee that you'll get to your destination and you can still die.

Jab for job, or refuse and lose.

TG
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by TG »

You visibly have a Big Zero F@cking Understanding about vaccins in general and SS atrocities in particular.
How did you even survive to what ever age you are now without getting badly hurt, sick or killed with such a warped vision of the world?

Dummies like you are Darwin awards on the wait.

imjustlurking
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by imjustlurking »

TG wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:29 am

You visibly have a Big Zero F@cking Understanding about vaccins in general and SS atrocities in particular.
How did you even survive to what ever age you are now without getting badly hurt, sick or killed with such a warped vision of the world?

Dummies like you are Darwin awards on the wait.
Your anger is understandable, but your reaction needs to be kept in check.

When you lose your temper with an anti-vaxxer Holocaust denier, you are giving them the satisfaction of seeing you upset.

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

I still think the best way to encourage vaccines would have been to remove mask mandates so the vaccinated go maskless, and have policy for those not vaccinated to keep masking. Those who didn’t want vaccines and prefer to mask would have been an option that seems fair no? No one is forced to get a vaccine, simply wear a mask if you choose not to. Life would feel normal for the vaccinated.

737Maximilian
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 737Maximilian »

ikarus wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:18 am You should be a great leader of future SSS division in Canada. Compelling your fellow colleagues to take something inside their body that may or may not work. That still does not prevent transmission or that you can still die.
I think someone needs a history lesson on the Nazis.

In terms of the vaccine, it's absolutely been proven to reduce both the transmissibility and the severity of the diseases.
ikarus wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:18 am Insteresting data from US today. Over 67% of population vaccinated, but so far a higher death toll from covid then in 2020. And we still have almost 3 months left. Intersting..
It's almost as if there's a new strain of the virus that's significantly more transmissible.
palebird wrote: So the message being implied is that whenever enough people are vaxxed we get to take masks off and go back to "normal." Wrongo.
What's your alternative? Clearly doing nothing didn't work, given what happened in Alberta. If you're going to say Ivermectin, why not simply use a drug that has already been proven to work and be safe (a.k.a the vaccine)?
montado wrote: I still think the best way to encourage vaccines would have been to remove mask mandates so the vaccinated go maskless, and have policy for those not vaccinated to keep masking
Do you really think the unvaccinated would follow such a policy, especially if they're segregated like this?

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

737Maximilian wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:51 am Do you really think the unvaccinated would follow such a policy, especially if they're segregated like this?
I think that’s kind of besides the point. There are many laws that are not exactly followed perfectly, such as speeding and the highway traffic act.

I do think most of them would see it as a reasonable alternative to getting fired over it. I do think termination of employment is a bit harsh. Also how did employers get dragged into this mess. Since when do the make business responsible for public health measures. It just seems really strange to me. If you are a pilot this is slightly different, and your health is the company’s business. I’m more just speaking in general terms.

The question is how do we get the most people to voluntarily get vaccinated. I think with human psychology, if we give people choice and let them make the decision you may get more compliance. Maybe not. When you were a child did mom shove the broccoli down your throat, did she say you can’t leave the table until it’s done? Or did she put a little bit of everything on the plate and say eat what you like until you are not hungry. What is more effective?

If I was in charge, this would be my policy. The consequences of not being vaccinated would simply be you are required to mask in public. When travelling provide negative covid test. Unvaccinated life as normal. Montano for prez! :lol:

palebird
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by palebird »

Clearly people are not understanding what is happening here. Do you understand that Covid is not going away..ever..? It will always be present in the human and animal population. It cannot be erradicated. And if you test for it you will find it. This is exactly what is happening. The powers that be have ramped up the testing. With predictable results. Open your eyes to basic facts.

737Maximilian
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 737Maximilian »

montado wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:11 am I think that’s kind of besides the point. There are many laws that are not exactly followed perfectly, such as speeding and the highway traffic act.
Yes, but speeding is much easier to enforce.
montado wrote: I do think most of them would see it as a reasonable alternative to getting fired over it.
No one has gotten fired. However, as of October 30th, the company's policy has required employees to be fully vaccinated to continue working, as per the government's mandate. If you can't meet this requirement, you will be put on unpaid leave.
montado wrote: Also how did employers get dragged into this mess.
There are many industries where employers require employees to have certain vaccines, all well before COVID.
montado wrote: I think with human psychology, if we give people choice and let them make the decision you may get more compliance.
We have already tried that over the past six months.
paledbird wrote: Do you understand that Covid is not going away..ever..?
I don't dispute that, but there are ways we can make this a manageable situation and begin enjoying the normalcy of life prior to the outbreak.
palebird wrote: Open your eyes to basic facts.
Ironic

Edited to fix a misquote

Last edited by 737Maximilian on Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

737Maximilian wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:53 am
montado wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:11 am I think that’s kind of besides the point. There are many laws that are not exactly followed perfectly, such as speeding and the highway traffic act.
Yes, but speeding is much easier to enforce.
Why are we concerned about enforcement? What difference will enforcement make? I don't think it will make much difference. But then again I really don't care if anyone wears a mask or gets vaccinated.
montado wrote: I do think most of them would see it as a reasonable alternative to getting fired over it.
737Maximilian wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:53 am No one has gotten fired. However, as of October 30th, the company's policy has required employees to be fully vaccinated to continue working, as per the government's mandate. If you can't meet this requirement, you will be put on unpaid leave.
Ah okay, I will modify what I said. I do think most of them would see it as a reasonable alternative to being put on leave over it.
montado wrote: Also how did employers get dragged into this mess.
737Maximilian wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:53 am There are many industries where employers require employees to have certain vaccines, all well before COVID.
What vaccines are mandatory to work at Air Canada besides the covid vaccine?
montado wrote: I think with human psychology, if we give people choice and let them make the decision you may get more compliance.
737Maximilian wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:53 am We have already tried that over the past six months.
Yeah, and Canada has one of the highest vaccine rates in the world. Looks pretty effective.
montado wrote: Do you understand that Covid is not going away..ever..?
737Maximilian wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:53 am I don't dispute that, but there are ways we can make this a manageable situation and begin enjoying the normalcy of life prior to the outbreak.
I didn't write that.
palebird wrote: Open your eyes to basic facts.
737Maximilian wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 10:53 am Ironic
But I agree covid isn't going anywhere. Hence the phrase "new normal" was invented :lol:

imjustlurking
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by imjustlurking »

montado wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:23 am I still think the best way to encourage vaccines would have been to remove mask mandates so the vaccinated go maskless, and have policy for those not vaccinated to keep masking. Those who didn’t want vaccines and prefer to mask would have been an option that seems fair no? No one is forced to get a vaccine, simply wear a mask if you choose not to. Life would feel normal for the vaccinated.
That would be an incentive, yes, but the goal is to prevent the hospitals from being overloaded again. Mask mandates aren't going anywhere for the next few months.

accountant
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by accountant »

You know what would be nice?

Less bickering about mandatory vaccines, and instead more focus on catering flights properly, having FA's follow SOP consisently, crewing up enough staff at the airports to deal with demand and then you'd have happier passengers filling more flights, getting more of you on furlough back to work.

Oh wait, the likelyhood of that happening is as likely as the pilots union getting along with each other.

737Maximilian
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by 737Maximilian »

montado,

If you make a policy that's difficult to enforce and where the majority of the population it affects won't comply, how effective do you expect that policy to be? As imjustlurking noted, the goal is to keep our hospitals from being overwhelmed. The disease can still be transmitted to some degree whether you're vaccinated or not. The masking policy is for everyone is to keep the unvaccinated safe and to keep our hospitals from being stretched too thin.
montado wrote: I do think most of them would see it as a reasonable alternative to being put on leave over it
A difference of opinion for sure. I think the most reasonable thing to do would be to just get vaccinated.
montado wrote: What vaccines are mandatory to work at Air Canada besides the covid vaccine?
Most countries operated to require certain vaccines for entry. Many of these vaccines would've already been administered during childhood though.

That said, I was alluding to laboratory settings as an example. Such companies will require their employees to be appropriately vaccinated. The point is that having employer oversight of this is nothing new.
montado wrote: Yeah, and Canada has one of the highest vaccine rates in the world. Looks pretty effective.
For the bulk of people, yes. However, it's clearly not high enough to open things up without putting a serious strain on our healthcare system. Hence the current restrictions.
montado wrote: I didn't write that.
Apologies - clearly even I am getting confused by all the quotes now.
montado wrote: new normal
For those fully vaccinated, the expert opinion is that COVID is essentially as dangerous as the flu. Through herd immunity, wouldn't it be possible to imagine going back to a world where simply getting a booster every year is about as much thought as we put into any of this?

CPT.HarshColdReality
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by CPT.HarshColdReality »

Hey everyone. How about we fix the ROOT cause of these issues which is our health care system.... We are only bandaging things now.....We've had this problem for many years before even COVID.

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

imjustlurking wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:53 am
montado wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 9:23 am I still think the best way to encourage vaccines would have been to remove mask mandates so the vaccinated go maskless, and have policy for those not vaccinated to keep masking. Those who didn’t want vaccines and prefer to mask would have been an option that seems fair no? No one is forced to get a vaccine, simply wear a mask if you choose not to. Life would feel normal for the vaccinated.
That would be an incentive, yes, but the goal is to prevent the hospitals from being overloaded again. Mask mandates aren't going anywhere for the next few months.
I thought you were 60x more likely to end up in icu if not vaccinated. That sounds to me like it doesn’t matter if the vaccinated unmask. In fact the more we keep saying vaccinated people still need masks the more anyone who doesn’t want a vaccine just reinforces their beliefs that the vaccine isn’t great.

Do you seriously think the vaccinated will overwhelm hospitals if they stop masking? What’s the point of the vaccine? I thought it was well known masks don’t work that great anyways, they are just one little piece of the Swiss cheese with huge holes (mostly out the top and sides fogging up peoples glasses) :lol:. My bet is if vaccinated people stopped masking, it wouldn’t even be a noticeable difference in hospitalization.

Last edited by montado on Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

CPT.HarshColdReality wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:35 pm Hey everyone. How about we fix the ROOT cause of these issues which is our health care system.... We are only bandaging things now.....We've had this problem for many years before even COVID.
Honestly at this point I’m convinced we just need to head the way of two tier like America.

You know what’s the latest in the news? Paediatric doctors refusing to see kids and only doing virtual appointments. Like wtf, teachers are teaching 30 kids in class, and a fucking doctor who’s job is to help sick people doesn’t want to do their job?

I’m really tired of paying up front for a service, a service we as Canadians pay a premium for, and then getting shit ass seconds all the time.

Don’t mistaken my rant as being thankless. We have lots to be thankful for and there are aspects of our healthcare I think are great, and we do have some excellent doctors here. Maybe going two tier has other issues, but I feel like we need a way to see what we pay, and demand better. Things like these doctors refusing to see clients is completely garbage. In primary care there’s a couple ways doctors can get paid. One way is on an appointment basis, the other is this group plan thing. So all they are doing is billing for work they aren’t doing if it’s the group plan thing. They get paid even if not doing appointments. Anyways rant over, if your doc won’t see you I would demand that they do!

Return to “Air Canada”