Unruly Passengers . . . and the Industry's Response?

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Raymond Hall
Rank 7
Rank 7

Unruly Passengers . . . and the Industry's Response?

Post by Raymond Hall »

Flying just isn't the same experience that it used to be . . .

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/26/trav ... ion=Travel

Flight Attendants’ Hellish Summer: ‘I Don’t Even Feel Like a Human’

For cabin crews, the peak travel season has turned into a chronic battle involving frequent delays, overwork and unruly passengers that leaves them feeling battered by the public and the airlines.
---------- ADS -----------

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Re: Unruly Passengers . . . and the Industry's Response?

Post by digits_ »

Between some recent shifts, Ms. Petzel, 34, said she had been given only the minimum 10 hours of rest at the hotel.

During that time, she had to get dinner, shower, call family, wind down, sleep, eat breakfast and get ready for the next shift, leaving just four or five hours for actual sleep, Ms. Petzel said.
They should talk to Transport Canada for advice, since Canadian pilots all get 8 hours of rest during a 10 hour min rest.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Raymond Hall
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Raymond Hall »

Another incident:

Chilling airplane audio serves as FAA warning about unruly passengers

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/a ... 588155001/

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

If you treat people like animals, they will behave like animals. Airplane travel is becoming too crowded, too stressful. The maks discussion seems to be the final drop in the bucket.

montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

digits_ wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 9:58 pm If you treat people like animals, they will behave like animals. Airplane travel is becoming too crowded, too stressful. The maks discussion seems to be the final drop in the bucket.
Absolutely. I wouldn’t want to have to deal with the general public in a customer service role while people are told to mask and social distance.

Imagine being the nurse during covid, who has to tell family member they can’t be with their parent as they pass away because covid policy. The person you are dealing with mocks you for wearing a mask and face shield and says covid is fake. The very next family you interact with is living in complete fear of covid, they tell you they will report you to your supervisor for seeing you not wearing your ppe correctly or not washing your hands enough.

Imagine being customer service at Canadian tire, a customer comes in and rages at you because they have wanted to do a return for a month but your company decided no returns during lockdown when sales are curb side only.

Imagine being in any role where you have to deal with a divided group of human beings being treated like animals by politicians who are not concerned about public health, but are most concerned about votes. I definitely would not want to be in any role where I have to deal with socially inept people who have been working from home in their pyjamas and have forgotten how to treat fellow humans. I have seen kids having meltdowns when they try to interact with other kids because they are so confused about masking and parents fill them with fear. Imagine how confused kids are about playing, and social interaction.

But people keep saying masks are not an issue, social distancing is not an issue, covid is the only issue. Division and fear is a great way to control people. Those in control are completely happy to see no one is on the same page, makes it easy to remain powerful and keep the divided powerless.

Raymond Hall
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Raymond Hall »

This adds a whole new dimension to Annual Recurrent Training !

Flight attendants are learning to fight back against unruly passengers — just in case

You want a drink, sir?”

The passenger looked up at the male flight attendant, then slurred a request for five more drinks. The flight attendant refused, causing the drunk traveler to become irate.

He lunged out of his seat toward the flight attendant when an air marshal appeared, pummeling the unruly passenger. The man’s hands were now cuffed behind his back.

This was just a drill. The drunk passenger was from the Federal Air Marshal Service. But the dangerous behavior flight crews are dealing with in the skies today is very real.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/travel/2 ... f-defense/

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

I’m curious how and why you can state with apparent certainty that politicians are not concerned with public health.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
montado
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by montado »

photofly wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 9:54 am I’m curious how and why you can state with apparent certainty that politicians are not concerned with public health.
I have many examples… however let’s start with the most recent. Trudeau had a press conference in Ontario where indoor public health limits occupancy to 25 people. He completely ignored this, then as a professional politician he went on about how his party and his MPs are all doing a great job to follow public health. He refused to answer why he broke this law.

He was doing his political vote buying speech and completely ignoring public health measures.

Do you need more? How about the conservative MPP who vacation last winter? During a global pandemic!

Do you need more? Pick your week of the year, I can show you examples form ever week of the 52 week year.

What public health measures do you think we’re effective? Glory holes in BC? How much covid spread was prevented with glory holes?

The very worst thing politicians have done is lost the trust of the public. So many back and forth knee jerk reaction showing they don’t really know how to manage a pandemic…. Schools won’t close, kids don’t spread covid, a day later they announced schools will close. Don’t wear a mask, followed by wear a mask. 2 million dollar investment in a beeping bracelet. COVID alert app that had prevented zero transmission. Astra is safe, followed by the risk is not worth it anymore. Mix vaccines etc.

Do you trust our leadership? How could anyone trust them. Now mandatory vaccines, like really! You want to make mandatory vaccines and you want my trust after the past 18 months? Crazy. I put my health in my hands, and don’t for one second trust our politicians. I know with certainty as soon as covid became political, which was June 2020, they were no longer focused on public health and more concerned with political gains. This shows in their actions.

photofly
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by photofly »

None of which is evidence that politicians don't care about public health. I thought you had some secret insight into the brains of Justin Trudeau, Doug Ford, et al, but you don't.

DId you hear the one about the jurisprudence fetishist? He got off on a technicality.
Rooster69
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Rooster69 »

photofly wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:39 am None of which is evidence that politicians don't care about public health. I thought you had some secret insight into the brains of Justin Trudeau, Doug Ford, et al, but you don't.
Lol.good one👍

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

photofly wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 10:39 am None of which is evidence that politicians don't care about public health. I thought you had some secret insight into the brains of Justin Trudeau, Doug Ford, et al, but you don't.
Insight into Doug and Justin’s brains? Probably covered in sticky resin from way too may bong hits. :lol:

Let’s Go Brandon
Stu Pidasso
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Stu Pidasso »

There is no doubt there are some outrageous unruly passenger incidents, but the latest Covid nonsense is out of control. Plenty of FA's are hooked on the power trip of yelling at passengers to put their masks on. Some poor guy falls asleep, his mask droops below his nose and the FA is shaking him awake and talking to him like a two year old to put his mask on.

Or sternly abusing some mother because her young child won't keep their mask on.

Couple that with NO (or lousy) service, FA's dressed in their Nuclear suits - no wonder passengers are unruly.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Stu Pidasso wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:31 am There is no doubt there are some outrageous unruly passenger incidents, but the latest Covid nonsense is out of control. Plenty of FA's are hooked on the power trip of yelling at passengers to put their masks on. Some poor guy falls asleep, his mask droops below his nose and the FA is shaking him awake and talking to him like a two year old to put his mask on.

Or sternly abusing some mother because her young child won't keep their mask on.

Couple that with NO (or lousy) service, FA's dressed in their Nuclear suits - no wonder passengers are unruly.
If people don’t like the rules or the ‘customer experience’, then don’t fly.

Travelling by air is a privilege not a right.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

rudder wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:08 am
Stu Pidasso wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 6:31 am There is no doubt there are some outrageous unruly passenger incidents, but the latest Covid nonsense is out of control. Plenty of FA's are hooked on the power trip of yelling at passengers to put their masks on. Some poor guy falls asleep, his mask droops below his nose and the FA is shaking him awake and talking to him like a two year old to put his mask on.

If people don’t like the rules or the ‘customer experience’, then don’t fly.

Travelling by air is a privilege not a right.
So? Who says it is a right? Doesn't mean you can't treat people like human beings. It would be easy to reply "FAs know what they are getting into. Don't like it, find another job. Working as an FA is a privilege, not a right.".

Compare the experience of travelling by air in a crew uniform vs travelling without. In uniform you are treated as a person, without, you barely register as human. Even if you follow all the rules.

Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Plus the traveling cattle are way pissed off before they even get on the plane. I’ve had to wait 1 sometimes 2 hrs for a gate agent, and when they finally do show up, the ground crew buggers off because it’s the end of their shift! No way in hell I’d do any leisure travel right now. Especially to the US with all the commie virus nonsense.

Let’s Go Brandon
digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Inverted2 wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:51 am Plus the traveling cattle are way pissed off before they even get on the plane. I’ve had to wait 1 sometimes 2 hrs for a gate agent, and when they finally do show up, the ground crew buggers off because it’s the end of their shift! No way in hell I’d do any leisure travel right now. Especially to the US with all the commie virus nonsense.
Yes, exactly. Check in, wait in line for a bag drop (if any). Get redirected by check in staff because the bag you've been using for 3 years is suddenly too big for carry on and needs to be checked in. Wear your mask as you're told. Go to temperature check, drop everything you are holding on the floor because you have to remove your glasses. But ho, wait now, make sure your mask stays on! Stay there without being able to see properly, your stuff on the floor and get rushed out of there. Now you are in a security line. People passing left and right, packed together. Get randomly redirected to another line. Take out all your fluids. Get weird looks when you put your contact lens solution in a plastic bag. It's medical, don't put it in a plastic bag. The next day, security will put it in a bag themselves when you don't. Because it is medical. So it needs its own bag. Random security check. Remove your non removable ipad cover. Tell the security guy it can't be removed. He forces you to remove it anyway, so your ipad cover break.

Then you get to the gate. You're waiting for a 78 pax airplane. There are 34 seats. And now you can only use half of those anyway. Get blasted by stupid anouncements ever 2 minutes. Great. Now you can enter the plane. Wait again. Shuffle in. You only brought one small bag, but you are asked to put it under your seat, because the plane's overhead storage is too small to put away the bags from all other people who brought 2.

Then you finally sit down, think you can enjoy your movie, but then there is the safety briefing yet again, you listen to it, of course. Take off. People slam their seat in your face to 'recline' when you are squeezed together. You start dozing off, and then you get awoken because your facemask slid down a bit, and that's what's going to keep everyone safe?

I can completely understand people exploding at that point.

C-GGGQ
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by C-GGGQ »

digits_ wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 8:24 am
Inverted2 wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 7:51 am Plus the traveling cattle are way pissed off before they even get on the plane. I’ve had to wait 1 sometimes 2 hrs for a gate agent, and when they finally do show up, the ground crew buggers off because it’s the end of their shift! No way in hell I’d do any leisure travel right now. Especially to the US with all the commie virus nonsense.
Yes, exactly. Check in, wait in line for a bag drop (if any). Get redirected by check in staff because the bag you've been using for 3 years is suddenly too big for carry on and needs to be checked in. Wear your mask as you're told. Go to temperature check, drop everything you are holding on the floor because you have to remove your glasses. But ho, wait now, make sure your mask stays on! Stay there without being able to see properly, your stuff on the floor and get rushed out of there. Now you are in a security line. People passing left and right, packed together. Get randomly redirected to another line. Take out all your fluids. Get weird looks when you put your contact lens solution in a plastic bag. It's medical, don't put it in a plastic bag. The next day, security will put it in a bag themselves when you don't. Because it is medical. So it needs its own bag. Random security check. Remove your non removable ipad cover. Tell the security guy it can't be removed. He forces you to remove it anyway, so your ipad cover break.

Then you get to the gate. You're waiting for a 78 pax airplane. There are 34 seats. And now you can only use half of those anyway. Get blasted by stupid anouncements ever 2 minutes. Great. Now you can enter the plane. Wait again. Shuffle in. You only brought one small bag, but you are asked to put it under your seat, because the plane's overhead storage is too small to put away the bags from all other people who brought 2.

Then you finally sit down, think you can enjoy your movie, but then there is the safety briefing yet again, you listen to it, of course. Take off. People slam their seat in your face to 'recline' when you are squeezed together. You start dozing off, and then you get awoken because your facemask slid down a bit, and that's what's going to keep everyone safe?

I can completely understand people exploding at that point.
Have you actually flown recently? Because thats not my experience at all. No ones taking temperatures, all seats are filled, yes masks on at all times except eating, but no extra checks or security. Laptops out of carry ons but not ipads (unless you have a keyboard case attached. Only issue was sprinting through YUL to make a connection because the arriving flight was an hour late.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

C-GGGQ wrote: Sun Aug 29, 2021 2:43 pm
Have you actually flown recently?
Yups. The ipad cover thing happened about 2 years ago, everything else happened about a month ago.

Stu Pidasso
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Stu Pidasso »

It's laughable how the FA's make a big fuss that being in the Aisle is unsafe, increasing service levels are unsafe, need to wear the nuclear suit and beat on passengers about masks.

Then - land - hit the hotel - get those LuLu's on and a crop top - hop on overcrowded public transit to go SHOPPING.

Feel sorry for the employer, let the madness continue.

Raymond Hall
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Raymond Hall »

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/flig ... index.html

Inside the increasingly violent world of US flight attendants

"I'm dealing with a lot of babysitting, which I never counted on doing," Amirzadeh, who works for a low-cost US airline, tells CNN Travel. "The actual children on board behave better than the grown adults do."

Return to “Air Canada”