The Technological Future of the Profession

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

furloughedAC
Rank 0
Rank 0

Re: The Technological Future of the Profession

Post by furloughedAC »

RippleRock wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:36 am I think most of us who see the big picture will agree this is a DUMB topic, barely worth our time.

The infrastructure costs and "selling it to the public" far exceeds the cost of continuing to have pilots pollute the flight deck. As companies like AC continue to drive WACON for pilots into the toilet, and pilots let them, this topic becomes even more redundant.

Let's discuss it again in 30 years. Thanks Ray....slow day I guess.
I hope you're right as I've got 25-30 years to go. It's not as far off as you think. The big guys say they'll be coming off the production line in the late 20s. There are new functions being performed steadily.

I agree that the public will be reluctant. It doesn't take long to train consumers. Remember all the "will passengers ever step on a 737-Max again" articles. That didn't take long lol...

Companies will probably have to offer discounted rates at first. It will no doubt be tried out on the cargo side first.

I hope I'm wrong but I would be shocked if I get to fly til 65. I'll be happy to hit 55 and am planning accordingly. The 3+ years of furlough is definitely hurting that plan :(
---------- ADS -----------

fish4life
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by fish4life »

Basic flying is easy to program it’s all the other stuff that makes it really difficult just like the self driving cars. Automated airplane gets a runway condition with snow covered and now it doesn’t have landing distance to work, wait it’s alternate also has crap weather now what does it do? Little things that people think about are extremely hard to program.

RippleRock
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by RippleRock »

furloughedAC wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:21 pm
RippleRock wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:36 am I think most of us who see the big picture will agree this is a DUMB topic, barely worth our time.

The infrastructure costs and "selling it to the public" far exceeds the cost of continuing to have pilots pollute the flight deck. As companies like AC continue to drive WACON for pilots into the toilet, and pilots let them, this topic becomes even more redundant.

I hope you're right as I've got 25-30 years to go. It's not as far off as you think. The big guys say they'll be coming off the production line in the late 20s. There are new functions being performed steadily.

I agree that the public will be reluctant. It doesn't take long to train consumers. Remember all the "will passengers ever step on a 737-Max again" articles. That didn't take long lol...

Companies will probably have to offer discounted rates at first. It will no doubt be tried out on the cargo side first.

I hope I'm wrong but I would be shocked if I get to fly til 65. I'll be happy to hit 55 and am planning accordingly. The 3+ years of furlough is definitely hurting that plan :(
Like I said, the cost to develop the technology ---far exceeds--- the "pilot cost" for now, and into the foreseeable future. Who is claiming "they'll be coming off the production line in the late 20's"??? That's preposterous. They haven't even left the design floor yet and it's 2021. Tesla can't even get autonomous driving in two dimensions right. Just look at the wrecks they've had. Aviation wouldn't tolerate Musk's track record. As mentioned by another poster, "what about snow?" Optical guidance for autonomous ground operation isn't an option, its a necessity. Snow may clog sensors/cameras or reduce their effectiveness. Do we just stop the entire system during the winter? Do we tow everything around on the ground? Are those tug-drivers now responsible for a $200-$300 million dollar aircraft full of passengers? Better pay better than min wage. There are too many operational contingency questions that don't have a reasonable answer yet.

You'll be in a cockpit when your 65, likely 70. The two pilot A-350 has barely begun it's production run. It's has 10-15 years of production life left and another 2-3 decades of use after the run ends. The 737 replacement will have two pilot seats.

It's ---way--- different if you are designing an entire system from scratch. As the infrastructure exists today, it will be system integration, astronomical infrastructure costs, and public perception issues that will be the serious hold-up. Given the speed of change in aviation, autonomous airliners won't be a force until 2060 or later....my bet is that it never comes, and large aircraft are replaced by sub-orbital transports or very high speed electric rail systems. Smaller aircraft operating into more remote regions will be around into the next century. There will always be a need as the population continues to expand into undeveloped parts of the world.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

RippleRock wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:43 am Who is claiming "they'll be coming off the production line in the late 20's"??? That's preposterous. They haven't even left the design floor yet and it's 2021.
The pilotless Caravan *is* flying, has been for a year.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Hot Wings
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Hot Wings »

digits_ wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:12 am
RippleRock wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:43 am Who is claiming "they'll be coming off the production line in the late 20's"??? That's preposterous. They haven't even left the design floor yet and it's 2021.
Military drones have been flying for decades, yet we haven’t seen an autonomous airliner carrying pax. Don’t conflate an autonomous caravan with dramatic industry upheaval. I’ll wait to see electric beavers become the norm, and that’s a way off too.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

Hot Wings wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:54 am
digits_ wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:12 am
Military drones have been flying for decades, yet we haven’t seen an autonomous airliner carrying pax. Don’t conflate an autonomous caravan with dramatic industry upheaval. I’ll wait to see electric beavers become the norm, and that’s a way off too.
Fair enough, but there are few crucial differences:
- The Caravan program is sponsored by FedEx. I doubt they are only researching this for their Caravans
- The Caravan system is a system installed in an airplane that was never intented to be flown autonomous. It's a very analog airplane. Yet they managed to operate it fully remotely. Same for the C172 they worked on. An Airbus is a flying computer. If anything, it should be easier to operate such a plane remotely. Boeings are probably somehwere in between.
- Civilian investors can be much more pushy, as their own private money is invested. I highly doubt FedEx would invest in this if they didn't have a regulatory path to succes in mind. I would be very surprised if they aren't actively working towards remote controlled airline sized freighters.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Tdicommuter
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by Tdicommuter »

Hydrogen powered cars were invented in the 80's... Yet we have been using gas... Why? Infrastructure constraints, development costs, a host of barriers beyond the actual tech for the car.

Planes are the same. Do we currently have the ability to fully automate a plane... Yes... The costs of building, and the infrastructure improvments clearly are beyond a reasonable ROI or it would be done asap. you are correct.. private equity firms would love to invest in something to make loads of money... But unless you can build an autonomous plane for the same price as a manned one then no one will buy them...
Will fully automated planes happen...yes... I'm not terribly worried right now.
If we can still pay people to put cars together, and pack meat because it's cheaper than automation... I think my job is safe for now.

Tbayer2021
Rank 6
Rank 6

Post by Tbayer2021 »

ITT: Pilots discussing things they don't understand and have no control over.

goldeneagle
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by goldeneagle »

Tdicommuter wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:47 am
If we can still pay people to put cars together, and pack meat because it's cheaper than automation... I think my job is safe for now.
A modern auto assembly line

Packing meat

dumbbell daddy
Rank 2
Rank 2

Post by dumbbell daddy »

I actually think this is an interesting topic Ray. You’ve stirred the pot. Naturally, most of us are very defensive about this topic. Like we didn’t already have a million other threats to our WAWCON’s? I’m getting close to 40. If I was a gambling man, I’d say I would still be sharing a flight deck with another colleague on my 65th birthday. If my kids decided to take up aviation as a career……well…..I’d encourage them to get their PPL and learn python so they could help design the system that will replace me.

furloughedAC
Rank 0
Rank 0

Post by furloughedAC »

RippleRock wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:43 am
furloughedAC wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 12:21 pm

Like I said, the cost to develop the technology ---far exceeds--- the "pilot cost" for now, and into the foreseeable future. Who is claiming "they'll be coming off the production line in the late 20's"??? That's preposterous. They haven't even left the design floor yet and it's 2021. Tesla can't even get autonomous driving in two dimensions right. Just look at the wrecks they've had. Aviation wouldn't tolerate Musk's track record. As mentioned by another poster, "what about snow?" Optical guidance for autonomous ground operation isn't an option, its a necessity. Snow may clog sensors/cameras or reduce their effectiveness. Do we just stop the entire system during the winter? Do we tow everything around on the ground? Are those tug-drivers now responsible for a $200-$300 million dollar aircraft full of passengers? Better pay better than min wage. There are too many operational contingency questions that don't have a reasonable answer yet.

You'll be in a cockpit when your 65, likely 70. The two pilot A-350 has barely begun it's production run. It's has 10-15 years of production life left and another 2-3 decades of use after the run ends. The 737 replacement will have two pilot seats.

It's ---way--- different if you are designing an entire system from scratch. As the infrastructure exists today, it will be system integration, astronomical infrastructure costs, and public perception issues that will be the serious hold-up. Given the speed of change in aviation, autonomous airliners won't be a force until 2060 or later....my bet is that it never comes, and large aircraft are replaced by sub-orbital transports or very high speed electric rail systems. Smaller aircraft operating into more remote regions will be around into the next century. There will always be a need as the population continues to expand into undeveloped parts of the world.

I would think there will continue to be plenty of pilot manned aircraft if/when unmanned aircraft start flying. I would think there will even be newly produced piloted aircraft at the same time. Not like it's going to flick a switch and change the whole industry over night. Here's a good article with some different opinions from experts in the field. Safe to say we don't know when the first unmanned revenue flight will happen. If I were an odds maker I would set the over/under at Jan 1st 2030. It may be similar to driving where even though it's far safer, people will be more upset/weary over an autonomous crash even if it occurs at a fraction the rate of cars driven by humans. Time will tell/

https://unitingaviation.com/news/safety ... -aircraft/

“A pilotless airliner is going to come; it’s just a question of when,” said James Albaugh – in 2011 when he was president and CEO of Boeing Commercial Airlines. “You’ll see it in freighters first, over water probably, landing very close to the shore.” Sixteen years ago in 2002, Craig J. Mundie, then chief research and strategy officer for Microsoft (now senior advisor to the CEO), made a $2,000 public wager with Eric Schmidt, then CEO of Google, that “by 2030, commercial passengers will routinely fly in pilotless planes.” Mundie’s logic was that “if we stay on this Moore’s law kick – (computers) will be about 4,000 times more powerful,” adding that “with computers increasingly a part of critical infrastructure, the industry is going to have to focus a lot more on making machines that just don’t fail.” Schmidt’s contrary argument claimed, “the training and timing around handling emergencies such as engine failure at rotation are not going to be transferrable to autopilots and machines.”

Pilotless aircraft “will eventually be built,” he predicted, perhaps in production by 2040. “Innovative airlines will buy them. Adventurous passengers will fly them.”

"Not surprisingly, many experts believe commercial airliners will never go pilotless."

Opinions vary

Raymond Hall
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by Raymond Hall »

Airbus Says Single Pilot Flight Crews Are The Long Term Future

https://simpleflying.com/airbus-single- ... rBXRNAdkw

imjustlurking
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by imjustlurking »

Raymond Hall wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 3:03 pm Airbus Says Single Pilot Flight Crews Are The Long Term Future

https://simpleflying.com/airbus-single- ... rBXRNAdkw
Airbus can go flip itself.

‘Bob’
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ‘Bob’ »

Tdicommuter wrote: Mon Sep 20, 2021 10:15 am Landing is only one phase of flight... Does cirrus have an emergency taxi, take off... Etc?
Who would need to taxi or takeoff in an emergency? They didn’t put that in because there was no need for it, not because it was challenging. Tesla has automated cars that can park and drive and even be summoned. Programming a plane to taxi and takeoff perhaps recognizing lit taxi routes, stop bars, and having auto thrust and auto brake do a reject under certain conditions would be relative child’s play.

Do you use CPDLC for push, taxi, take off, approach, landing clearances as well?
Again, no need because we have two button pushers up front. It seems that taking out the middleman and having ATC control the plane directly by CPDLC would make a lot of sense.
Paperwork, tests etc.. literally represent man-hours. You need to pay someone to do those things. You can't just wave a wand and say.. 'ok we are good to go now'
Most of the paperwork and tests are for human benefits and have to be redone because of errors or degradation of human performance. An automated system needs to be validated once.. and then maintained, just like they already are. A self check can be done in a matter of seconds. Does an autopilot need to pass a line check or PPC? No.

And like since the beginning of automation yes you have to pay someone to do those things. Maybe one person among 20 aircraft instead of two for each. And greater upfront costs will be amortized in efficiency and cost savings and probably safety as well. Automation has been key in making air travel safer, and human factors have often been the single cause of automation failing to do its job.

Even the “public doesn’t hear about all the times a human intervenes and prevents an accident” was probably caused by a human error in the first place.
But if you want an automated plane to complete a full flight from start to finish does it interface with a mainframe somewhere? If it does who will encrypt the data to ensure it cannot be hacked. How much money would that cost? How does it interface with NAV Canada... Would it be able to in a country with antiquated ATC.
ATC is super easy to hack right now. All you need is an air band transceiver and a powerful enough antenna and you can start vectoring planes. How does it interface? CDPLC is a good start, and evolving it just like we evolved analog cell signals to a digital internet almost anywhere. Maybe Elon Musk’s constellation would be used? And then you have layers of safety like you do now. TCAS with an auto RA. Automatic EGWPS that performs an escape manoeuvre. The ability to override and control a plane from the ground.

There is First Air, Germanwings, 9/11, and Malaysian that would never have happened with a robot at the wheel or an ability to control the plane remotely.
Even when you look at autoland... Can my airbus land itself now... Yes... Am I allowed to? No. Who certifies what approaches are autoland capable... NAV Canada. If you want every single approach to be a cat 3 that will also be expensive.
And ask yourself why they are certified that way? Because it’s a human at the controls with limits in comprehension and reaction times. Not needed for a computer. Maybe it compares an ILS and RNP and if there is a difference it goes missed. Maybe it uses IR to see approach and centreline lights and if it doesn’t see or if it’s offset it goes missed.
To use a comparator... How many engineers are working at Tesla right now on an automated car? How many years.... How many other companies are also working on the same thing.... How many years. Would you say billions were spent getting there. Unless you can make that back it was a loss. There has to be a direct way to justify that cost. Obviously from the airport's needing upgrading, all the way to the planes the amount of money needed to be invested to get to automated clearly exceeds the savings by getting rid of pilots otherwise we would be gone. At some point will that change... Yes. But not in a real hurry.
And how long did it take? Not very in the grand scheme of things. And didn’t Mr Musk allow the world to use his patents? As always, it’s never going to be starting right from scratch. We are standing on the shoulders of giants. To apply many of those principles to aviation isn’t as big of a stretch as you think. Tesla calls it “autopilot”. They didn’t start from scratch, either.

TELL THOMPSON WE’RE COMIN’ IN HOT!!

http://www.subgenius.com/bigfist/answer ... _FAQ_.html
DanWEC
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by DanWEC »

It will happen. Maybe not for another 50-75 years, but it will happen.

More pressing however is the undeniable eventuality that the job of an airline pilot will be less and less skilled, less demanding, and therefore, have less compensation and training. I think there will be a point where airline pilots will make a good chunk less than the select few who will be qualified to operate floats or do remote work with less automation.

I could picture a streaming student program to go straight into an airline environment (Already happened) but a completely different set of qualifications to operate in the bush. Since those would be taken in an incredible expensive relic of an airplane by a very rare instructor, the cost for training alone could be along the lines of what we would think ridiculous now.

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

Good topic actually and great discussion on the various points. Be nice to see more of the same on this site going forward.

imjustlurking
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by imjustlurking »

Old fella wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 8:50 pm Good topic actually and great discussion on the various points. Be nice to see more of the same on this site going forward.
I forgot that this forum could be more than proxy arguments about COVID.

Return to “Air Canada”