Parlez vous le 'spy talk'?

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

Bingo Fuel
Rank 5
Rank 5

Re: Parlez vous le 'spy talk'?

Post by Bingo Fuel »

It's not a zero sum game. You don't have to love Quebec to be against the plight of an arrogant Millionaire CEO. It's possible to think that both of them suck.
---------- ADS -----------

"Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
Inverted2
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by Inverted2 »

Reminds me of the temper tantrum they threw when they found out the MTL coach didn’t speak french. Bunch of cry babies.

Let’s Go Brandon
ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Post by ayseven »

Bonjour is pretty hard to say, admittedly. Especially when it implies a bit of respect for somebody else.

altiplano
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by altiplano »

Global News: Premier Legault to announce plans to boost number of Quebecers in NHL.

https://globalnews.ca/news/8383507/lega ... ayers-nhl/

They should just pass another Quebecois-content law, fire the anglos and allos, and install what you want it to be.

Surely the Montreal Canadiens are a more storied, more important, more Quebecois institution, with more cultural significance that just about anything else. Certainly more so than an airline...

So why the double standard of building programs to develop more top calibre athletes, maybe, eventually, big maybe, instead of just berating the organisation for trying to get the best it can to compete in their business?

Clearly the Habs deserve a bigger whipping, they actually dressed a team without a single Quebecer in a line recently, the horror!

mijbil
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by mijbil »

altiplano wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:29 pm Global News: Premier Legault to announce plans to boost number of Quebecers in NHL.
I just saw this. Comedy gold. You can't make this stuff up. What will they be demanding next, the return of the Nordiques.....and wanting us to pay for it via "equalization" payments?

Cavalier44
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by Cavalier44 »

mijbil wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 5:19 pm
altiplano wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 12:29 pm Global News: Premier Legault to announce plans to boost number of Quebecers in NHL.
I just saw this. Comedy gold. You can't make this stuff up. What will they be demanding next, the return of the Nordiques.....and wanting us to pay for it via "equalization" payments?
We (the taxpayers) already paid $370 million for them to build a brand new stadium in Quebec City back in 2012, despite there being no NHL team to play there. Now Legault thinks he can dictate terms to the NHL! :roll: I'm only one Quebecer but I'm getting pretty tired of the tin-pot dictator shtick.

As far as the whole nonsense surrounding Rousseau - I don't see any arrogance in his statement at all. If he had said to the reporter "je m'excuse, je parle seulement juste une petite peu de Francais", he would have been vilified by the Franco-Sovereigntist bloc just the same as if he answered the way he had. It's a no-win situation because they're actively looking for a reason to be upset and aren't concerned about whether there's any logic behind it.

It's the same dog-whistle politics that have been holding this province back for the last fifty years. "The French language must be protected at all costs, the English elitists want to eradicate the French language, we have to protect our culture!" etc., etc., ad nauseum. Get the voters riled up against any enemy, real or fictitious, and they'll vote for you reliably whether or not they're voting against their own best interests. Kind of like the Quebecois equivalent of "the Mexicans are coming to steal our jobs, we have to build a wall to keep them out!".

What really gets me is not only our current PM bending over backwards to appease Quebec voters, but all the federal party leaders inserting themselves into the situation - what an embarrassment.

mijbil
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by mijbil »

Cavalier44 wrote: Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:22 pm
As far as the whole nonsense surrounding Rousseau - I don't see any arrogance in his statement at all. If he had said to the reporter "je m'excuse, je parle seulement juste une petite peu de Francais", he would have been vilified by the Franco-Sovereigntist bloc just the same as if he answered the way he had. It's a no-win situation because they're actively looking for a reason to be upset and aren't concerned about whether there's any logic behind it.

It's the same dog-whistle politics that have been holding this province back for the last fifty years. "The French language must be protected at all costs, the English elitists want to eradicate the French language, we have to protect our culture!" etc., etc., ad nauseum. Get the voters riled up against any enemy, real or fictitious, and they'll vote for you reliably whether or not they're voting against their own best interests. Kind of like the Quebecois equivalent of "the Mexicans are coming to steal our jobs, we have to build a wall to keep them out!".

What really gets me is not only our current PM bending over backwards to appease Quebec voters, but all the federal party leaders inserting themselves into the situation - what an embarrassment.
Well summarized C44. This Wisconsin US politician is quite blunt about it :
"Rep. Glenn Grothman says it's because of cultural divisions. In Canada's case, he says, those divisions involve language. And he lumped it in with a long list of what he called failed countries.

"I never felt Canada was quite as successful as America," he began in his Nov. 16 speech. "[That's] because, to a degree, their elections pitted the French speakers against the English speakers."

https://ca.news.yahoo.com/u-congressman ... 12778.html

I've often thought that for a truly dispassionate objective look at a country, you need to read about it in a foreign press, like reading about Germany in the Aussie press.

Return to “Air Canada”