Parlez vous le 'spy talk'?

Discuss topics relating to Air Canada.

Moderators: sky's the limit, sepia, Sulako, lilfssister, North Shore, I WAS Birddog

ayseven
Rank 7
Rank 7

Re: Parlez vous le 'spy talk'?

Post by ayseven »

No that's pretty much it. My problem is is gets rid of the traditional Christian symbols at the same time as the "FOREIGN PEOPLE'S" symbols. We won't get into discrimination and subjugation of females or anything. I get the whole thing, but personally, I don't care what people wear or show, or what they speak at home or in public. I mean, who cares?

As for the comment about Quebec French not evolving; that is an ignorant comment, from somebody who knows nothing about linguistics. It has certainly not evolved in the same way French in France has, but it certainly has changed over the years, even since my arrival a couple of decades ago. Your argument leads to the idea that Quebec French is not a real language, and isn't worth saving, basically. Well, again, why does anybody not living here seem to care so much about it?

Do you want to be a better person? Learn another language. A lot of French speaking Quebecers have not minded putting in the effort.
---------- ADS -----------

TG
Rank 10
Rank 10

Post by TG »

I would like to remind all the cry Anglo speaking only guys that Switzerland which is the size of Vermont and New Hampshire combined is managing four official langages :lol:

Old fella
Rank 10
Rank 10
Location: I'm retired. I don't want to'I don't have to and you can't make me.

Post by Old fella »

TG wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 4:27 am I would like to remind all the cry Anglo speaking only guys that Switzerland which is the size of Vermont and New Hampshire combined is managing four official langages :lol:
Translation services would be a very lucrative business undoubtedly :wink:

TheStig
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by TheStig »

The only reason Mike Rousseau has lived in Montreal for 13 years is because Air Canada is forced to have its Head Quarters there. That's the only thing that unacceptable, why should a publicly traded company be forced to promote only bilingual or francophone speaking leaders to top positions?

Politicians need to stay in their lane, an airline run like our public service would be out of business in a week, and frankly a PM that goes surfing on our first National Day for Truth and Reconciliation is in no position to lecture anyone on 'unacceptable situations'.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

TheStig wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:03 am The only reason Mike Rousseau has lived in Montreal for 13 years is because Air Canada is forced to have its Head Quarters there. That's the only thing that unacceptable, why should a publicly traded company be forced to promote only bilingual or francophone speaking leaders to top positions?

Politicians need to stay in their lane, an airline run like our public service would be out of business in a week, and frankly a PM that goes surfing on our first National Day for Truth and Reconciliation is in no position to lecture anyone on 'unacceptable situations'.

Like I said, I don’t recall anybody busting Hollis Harris chops for not speaking French at public events. I guess because ‘Harris’ does not sound like a French name or he is from Georgia he gets a free pass.

QC are spoiled. If it were not for the ACPPA, AC definitely would NOT have a head office in YUL.

MR’s comments were perhaps lacking in political sensitivity. But now the Commisioner of Official Languages is considering launching an official investigation. This is ridiculous.

palebird
Rank 4
Rank 4

Post by palebird »

Only in Canada

mijbil
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by mijbil »

Chips&Pops wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:50 am
mijbil wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:16 am I note that on many job applications for federal positions or federally regulated companies there is often a box about French and the ability to speak it (or not). It gets you more points from the HR people. Clearly it really isn't a requirement after all. I know I only used mine 3 times in the RCAF. Once for a test and twice on vacation in France, where they actually do speak French instead of the 16th century variant called 'joual' that is practised in QC.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal ... -1.6236356
U mad bébé?ink
Good morning C&P. No I'm not mad at all. I find the latest QC language tempest in a teapot somewhat amusing watching the "pure woolies" (thanks Mordechai Richler) get wound so tight when their 16th century dialect is not spoken when they think it should be and they are somewhat tyrannical about making their desires known. They also fail to see the long term effects which is businesses continuing to decamp to more welcoming environments. Observe the exodus from YUL to YYZ in the 70s and 80s. What's even funnier is watching these QC language peacocks suddenly fold like a house of cards when they try to speak their dialect in France and the French look at them with disdain and disgust at these "savages" attempting to communicate. They like to be snooty and outraged when in QC but when on the continent, they get 'out-snooted' by the French.
I learned my French in St Jean sur Richelieu, got level 3's = CBC for reading writing and spoken but in the real world it's useless other when on vacation in France. I did give it the college try during my 8 months in St Jean. I even went as far as Tadoussac to try and find somewhere that they would speak to me in the local French rather than reverting to English. I recall trying to have a conversation with a clerk at a depanneur in Quebec (city). He switched to English and told me "It's more important that I learn how to speak English, than you learn to speak French". He understood economic reality.
Don't get mad "baby" but the reality is that QC joual is a dying language despite the efforts of the QC language police to try and keep back the tide of English and despite the money cannon being fired repeatedly by Ottawa in it's defense.
Back to studying. I think the 20 month 'holiday' is about to end.

digits_
Top Poster
Top Poster

Post by digits_ »

palebird wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 8:23 am Only in Canada
Not at all. Pretty much every country with multiple official languages has perpetual language discussions and the resulting sometimes weird legislation.

As an AvCanada discussion grows longer:
-the probability of 'entitlement' being mentioned, approaches 1
-one will be accused of using bad airmanship
Chips&Pops
Rank 1
Rank 1

Post by Chips&Pops »

Good morning C&P. No I'm not mad at all. I find the latest QC language tempest in a teapot somewhat amusing watching the "pure woolies" (thanks Mordechai Richler) get wound so tight when their 16th century dialect is not spoken when they think it should be and they are somewhat tyrannical about making their desires known. They also fail to see the long term effects which is businesses continuing to decamp to more welcoming environments. Observe the exodus from YUL to YYZ in the 70s and 80s. What's even funnier is watching these QC language peacocks suddenly fold like a house of cards when they try to speak their dialect in France and the French look at them with disdain and disgust at these "savages" attempting to communicate. They like to be snooty and outraged when in QC but when on the continent, they get 'out-snooted' by the French.
I learned my French in St Jean sur Richelieu, got level 3's = CBC for reading writing and spoken but in the real world it's useless other when on vacation in France. I did give it the college try during my 8 months in St Jean. I even went as far as Tadoussac to try and find somewhere that they would speak to me in the local French rather than reverting to English. I recall trying to have a conversation with a clerk at a depanneur in Quebec (city). He switched to English and told me "It's more important that I learn how to speak English, than you learn to speak French". He understood economic reality.
Don't get mad "baby" but the reality is that QC joual is a dying language despite the efforts of the QC language police to try and keep back the tide of English and despite the money cannon being fired repeatedly by Ottawa in it's defense.
Back to studying. I think the 20 month 'holiday' is about to end.
[/quote]

Some French girl definitely hurt you and broke your heart when you were here, I feel sorry for that mate. Maybe she would've preferred someone that had a better grasp of the language than some "level 3" stuff you know. I'll teach you it's really easy, you just gotta put some effort of course. I love all my anglos, even the francophobes ones <3

Just giver bud
alkaseltzer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by alkaseltzer »

Who setup this speech? What was their motive? Do they work for Air France?

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

alkaseltzer
Rank 5
Rank 5

Post by alkaseltzer »

rudder wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 9:10 pm It gets worse…..

https://www.bnnbloomberg.ca/freeland-ch ... -1.1678820
How bad is Air Transat hurting for cash?

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

mijbil
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by mijbil »

Thanks for the link rudder. Some of the comments below are gold. The best one IMO was this from a Todd Pick :Crustyia (sic?) Freeload commenting on being disappointed by his lack of French skills is funny when you realize they appointed a non french speaking Governor General....I mean if were going to start making that a skill requirement why not competency too?
Too true - we didn't hear a peep from the commissars over at the "Mothercorp" https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/mary-s ... -1.6114622
Chips&Pops wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:21 pm Some French girl definitely hurt you and broke your heart when you were here, I feel sorry for that mate. Maybe she would've preferred someone that had a better grasp of the language than some "level 3" stuff you know. I'll teach you it's really easy, you just gotta put some effort of course. I love all my anglos, even the francophobes ones <3
For my new friend C&P, you should realize that I look at QC in much the same way as I do the US. There are individuals in each location that I know and am friends with, but the government of each is at times beyond the pale. For the US it's often the "ugly American" stereotype on display yet again. In QC, it's the eternally whiny 'take my ball and go sulk' mentality that we despise. Your province needs to grow up and realize that in the real world, or at least in North America, apart from a few minor enclaves like parts of Louisiana, East Winnipeg (St Vital), a small section of western Nova Scotia and of course "French Immersion" teachers, NO ONE CARES ABOUT FRENCH. We don't. It's largely irrelevant except in the few places I've mentioned and in backwoods backwater QC. I learned it (sort of) because Justin's daddy (step daddy?? - was Pierre cuckolded by Castro? ) Pierre brought in the official languages act to, I guess, resurrect and try to preserve a dying dialect. All we really wanted to do was get to flight school but nooooo we had to do 8 months in the "Mega" in St Jean. The Mega is yet another of the white elephants grazing on the QC political landscape - like Mirabel. It is apparently a failed jail - not good enough for prisoners - so they gave it to the military to deal with. We spent 8 long months there but we would often head south to New England for the weekends. I did travel around QC a bit and in the main, the people were nice enough, but except in deepest darkest Tadoussac, English was always available if required.
Nowadays when I go to QC, I speak VISA. It is clearly understood. If I wanted to really learn French to the point of being able to think in it, instead of doing the continuous translations back and forth, then I would do like another pilot I know who took holidays and went to France to a village where they spoke zero English. Total immersion in a current version of French. In reality, I don't care and part of me would be happy to see QC go their own way. It would certainly be better for us as it would be the end of interprovincial pogey aka transfer payments which I understand QC uses to "balance' their provincial budget. In that regard QC is as much of a basket case as Greece and Spain over in Europe.

As for your Sherlock Holmes deduction about some imaginary French girl, well trust a frenchman to turn it to sex. In reality, I was at the time and still am married. But nice try. I did like how the QC girls dressed....well as long as they didn't discover pasta and balloon to the size of an Italian grandmother...but that's another subject.

I'll close with this thought dear C&P: You asking me to learn joual, a 16th century dialect from France, unhindered by progress, makes as much sense as me asking you to learn medieval English from when William Shakespeare was alive. It just doesn't make sense.

mijbil
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by mijbil »

Thanks for the link rudder. Some of the comments below are gold. The best one IMO was this from a Todd Pick :Crustyia (sic?) Freeload commenting on being disappointed by his lack of French skills is funny when you realize they appointed a non french speaking Governor General....I mean if were going to start making that a skill requirement why not competency too?
Too true - we didn't hear a peep from the commissars over at the "Mothercorp" https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/mary-s ... -1.6114622
Chips&Pops wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 1:21 pm Some French girl definitely hurt you and broke your heart when you were here, I feel sorry for that mate. Maybe she would've preferred someone that had a better grasp of the language than some "level 3" stuff you know. I'll teach you it's really easy, you just gotta put some effort of course. I love all my anglos, even the francophobes ones <3
For my new friend C&P, you should realize that I look at QC in much the same way as I do the US. There are individuals in each location that I know and am friends with, but the government of each is at times beyond the pale. For the US it's often the "ugly American" stereotype on display yet again. In QC, it's the eternally whiny 'take my ball and go sulk' mentality that we despise. Your province needs to grow up and realize that in the real world, or at least in North America, apart from a few minor enclaves like parts of Louisiana, East Winnipeg (St Vital), a small section of western Nova Scotia and of course "French Immersion" teachers, NO ONE CARES ABOUT FRENCH. We don't. It's largely irrelevant except in the few places I've mentioned and in backwoods backwater QC. I learned it (sort of) because Justin's daddy (step daddy?? - was Pierre cuckolded by Castro? ) Pierre brought in the official languages act to, I guess, resurrect and try to preserve a dying dialect. All we really wanted to do was get to flight school but nooooo we had to do 8 months in the "Mega" in St Jean. The Mega is yet another of the white elephants grazing on the QC political landscape - like Mirabel. It is apparently a failed jail - not good enough for prisoners - so they gave it to the military to deal with. We spent 8 long months there but we would often head south to New England for the weekends. I did travel around QC a bit and in the main, the people were nice enough, but except in deepest darkest Tadoussac, English was always available if required.
Nowadays when I go to QC, I speak VISA. It is clearly understood. If I wanted to really learn French to the point of being able to think in it, instead of doing the continuous translations back and forth, then I would do like another pilot I know who took holidays and went to France to a village where they spoke zero English. Total immersion in a current version of French. In reality, I don't care and part of me would be happy to see QC go their own way. It would certainly be better for us as it would be the end of interprovincial pogey aka transfer payments which I understand QC uses to "balance' their provincial budget. In that regard QC is as much of a basket case as Greece and Spain over in Europe.

As for your Sherlock Holmes deduction about some imaginary French girl, well trust a frenchman to turn it to sex. In reality, I was at the time and still am married. But nice try. I did like how the QC girls dressed....well as long as they didn't discover pasta and balloon to the size of an Italian grandmother...but that's another subject.

I'll close with this thought dear C&P: You asking me to learn joual, a 16th century dialect from France, unhindered by progress, makes as much sense as me asking you to learn medieval English from when William Shakespeare was alive. It just doesn't make sense.

TheStig
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by TheStig »

I didn't know Terence Corcoran was that old. Here's a similar opinion from the NP's Millennial editorialist:

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/sabrin ... -overreach

TeePeeCreeper
Rank (9)
Rank (9)

Post by TeePeeCreeper »

mijbil wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:24 pm

Nice write up but…. You left out the fact that there are far more Francophone communities than you listed and also neglected to mention that there are more Francophones living outside of Quebec in Canada than reside in that one province.

Whomever wrote that the French language was a dying one is obviously a unilingual WASP from Westmount!

As my grandfather used to say “L’union fait la force!” It’s only because French speaking Canadians are so damn spread out across the country that some forget that we exist outside of Quebec. We also tend to revert to speaking in English (to accommodate the Anglophones). Funny notion really, as francophones we try to accommodate unilingual English Canadians but they seldom act in kind.

Regards,

TPC (had no issues conversing in France in “a foreign dialect” of French as a mere colonial!)

PS: re: “Transfer payments” (The proper term is actually “Equalization payments” but what would I know as English isn’t my first language!) The irony is that it is now the province of Quebec and Ontario whom are bailing out Alberta out of a financial quagmire! Guess it’s easy to forget that as well…

'97 Tercel
Rank 8
Rank 8

Post by '97 Tercel »

:roll:

Latitude
Rank 3
Rank 3

Post by Latitude »

TeePeeCreeper wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 7:08 pm
mijbil wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 3:24 pm

Nice write up but…. You left out the fact that there are far more Francophone communities than you listed and also neglected to mention that there are more Francophones living outside of Quebec in Canada than reside in that one province.

Whomever wrote that the French language was a dying one is obviously a unilingual WASP from Westmount!

As my grandfather used to say “L’union fait la force!” It’s only because French speaking Canadians are so damn spread out across the country that some forget that we exist outside of Quebec. We also tend to revert to speaking in English (to accommodate the Anglophones). Funny notion really, as francophones we try to accommodate unilingual English Canadians but they seldom act in kind.

Regards,

TPC (had no issues conversing in France in “a foreign dialect” of French as a mere colonial!)

PS: re: “Transfer payments” (The proper term is actually “Equalization payments” but what would I know as English isn’t my first language!) The irony is that it is now the province of Quebec and Ontario whom are bailing out Alberta out of a financial quagmire! Guess it’s easy to forget that as well…
*Apply cold water to burned area* :prayer:

I'm surprised at the amount of hate english speakers have against French :lol: aww

Regarding Air Canada CEO interview after the speech, the whole problem is the arrogance(which ironically suits AC very well) not the fact that he does not speak French. He could have said '' Sorry, my French is basic, I will work on that'' or '' I will learn French'' and no one would be talking about it now.

rudder
Rank 11
Rank 11

Post by rudder »

Latitude wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 6:03 am
Regarding Air Canada CEO interview after the speech, the whole problem is the arrogance(which ironically suits AC very well) not the fact that he does not speak French. He could have said '' Sorry, my French is basic, I will work on that'' or '' I will learn French'' and no one would be talking about it now.
Probably true.

Or perhaps “I was busy for the past 14 years helping to grow AC to double its previous size and adding thousands of QC based jobs. And the last 2 years was spent trying to save as many of those jobs as possible.”

Oh well.

Return to “Air Canada”